Skip to main content
Topic: Mate Well Met (Read 235 times) previous topic - next topic
Mate Well Met
At Costco (Marina Del Rey) today I parked just opposite what appeared to be a somewhat faded green ‘90’s mid-bath. No one in at the time. Finished my shopping and found it was just about to leave, so I walked up to the driver’s window and smiled. He rolled the window down and I greeted him as a fellow LazyDazer. Turns out he’s a young Aussie who’s touring the country with his mother. They just love their rig. Aussie?  Well, the accent and the “cheers, mate!” gave it away. — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Re: Mate Well Met
Reply #1
When I was in Australia I found out that the Aussie's use more slang than any other place I've been.
And since it's English I should have had no trouble figuring things out.
Ha. Good luck with that.
I do better with Spanish than Aussie.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #2
Jota, When  I was there, a lot of teasing went around about what was proper English. 
The claim was that we (U.S.) didn't pronounce all the letters in the words, for example  soldering iron.  To which I countered ".. and we are in Melbourne?" - pronounced Mel-bin.
But yes, they tried to translate things so I knew what they meant when they said bring a jumper (sweater/coat).  It was also interesting the brand names that stood for generic.  E.g. We say Kleenex to mean any facial tissue and they say Bic when they meant any pen.  I am sure things change over the years and when in different cities, but I did  have to translate more words than when I worked along side people from Scotland or England.

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #3
Or as Winston Churchill once said about England and the US 'two great countries seperated by a common language'.  
I use to work for a very large international company.   The official language of the company was English but I can assure you at some meeting we all were speaking English but had no idea if it was a joke, pun and an official directive.  

Glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King