Skip to main content
Topic: A tip - finding those messages you have not yet read (Read 738 times) previous topic - next topic
A tip - finding those messages you have not yet read
I am adding this as I recently "found" this feature.

My goal is to quickly see what was added to the conversations since I last visited.

I typically go straight to the New Posts link at the top of this website to read what was new since I was last there.
This shows topics in progress (adding to topics already posted) as well as new topics.
However, I found that I sometimes missed conversations that way. 

I recently realized there was a unread topics link (see attached picture).  So after reading the new posts that showed on the New Posts list, I could click on that and find more "new posts".

Note, I don't use the New Replies link.

Maybe one of the monitors can explain the difference between the New Post button, the New Replies button, and the link for unread topics.

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Re: A tip - finding those messages you have not yet read
Reply #1
I am adding this as I recently "found" this feature.

My goal is to quickly see what was added to the conversations since I last visited.

I typically go straight to the New Posts link at the top of this website to read what was new since I was last there.
This shows topics in progress (adding to topics already posted) as well as new topics.
However, I found that I sometimes missed conversations that way. 

I recently realized there was a unread topics link (see attached picture).  So after reading the new posts that showed on the New Posts list, I could click on that and find more "new posts".

Note, I don't use the New Replies link.

Maybe one of the monitors can explain the difference between the New Post button, the New Replies button, and the link for unread topics.

Jane
"Maybe one of the monitors can explain the difference between the New Post button, the New Replies button, and the link for unread topics."

Steve provided me this info nearly 4 years ago. "New Posts means the list of posts (messages) since you last signed on. If there are 10 of them and you read 3 and you leave the forum and immediately sign back in, the 7 unread posts are no longer New Posts (to you) because they aren't new since you last signed in. In this view, you can click on 'All Unread Topics' in the upper right. This will show you all the topics in which there are posts you haven't read. Click on the word 'new' and it will automatically take you to the oldest unread post in that topic. 'Recent Posts' is the lit of posts made in the last 24 hours. It will include posts you've read, but the ones you haven't read should be marked 'New'."  

I don't know exactly how New Replies works. Seems like there is some overlap there with New Posts. Perhaps Steve will read this and chime in.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Chris, thanks.  That helps a lot and explains why some got "hidden" from me.  Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #3
Personally, I like to go to Forum view and then go into each forum.

Any topic that has something I haven't read in it will display "New" next to the topic name.  When New is clicked, it takes you to the first unread post in that topic.  From there, I read down through the topic.

If I visit the forum but only view a thread or two, next time I visit the ones I hadn't viewed before still say "new" and clicking will still take me to the first unread post in a topic.  This is different than using "new posts" and "new replies", which reset each time you visit the forum.