Skip to main content
Topic: Solution to an irritating noise (Read 204 times) previous topic - next topic
Solution to an irritating noise
About a year ago,  our 27MB developed an irritating squeak at low speeds. The squeak was audible at about 5mph to 35mph and then became silent.   The frequency was related to speed, not engine rpm. It was most noticeable when starting from a stop and typically when the rig was cold.  Sometimes we could hear it when coming to a stop, but only if we hadn't driven far.
I had a similar sound in a pickup and it turned out to be the center support bearing for the drive shaft. When Ford replaced it, the sound was gone and didn't  return. Ford is proud of that bearing.
After looking and listening and feeling as many components as possible, I finally took off the rear wheel covers. The center cover that hides the full floating axle end was held into the wheel cover with rivets and the rivets were slightly loose.
I drilled out the rivets and removed the center axle cover and re-installed the wheel covers. The black full float axle is now visible in the center of the wheel cover. 
We just returned from 4 days at Quartzsite and 532 miles of driving round trip and the squeak is gone.
Good riddance. I enjoy the quiet ride.
Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Re: Solution to an irritating noise
Reply #1
"The black full float axle is now visible in the center of the wheel cover."
---
Seeing the amount of dirt, water, and general crud that can collect on the wheel under the wheel covers, I would be concerned that the exposed axle end would be vulnerable to 'contamination'; could this be a problem?
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Possibly.
The axle ends have been exposed to the elements on my F350 for the past 19 years and some of the black paint has worn off, but there doesn't seem to be any significant rust or corrosion.

It is nice to not hear the squeaking any longer. 
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #3
Hi Joan. Unless the bolts are loose or damaged, I would say there is no chance of contamination of the axle grease. That grease isn't under pressure.  Not the same as a dust cap on normal cars that have an exposed wheel bearing under the cap. Again there, the bearings with cap stay clean.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
"The black full float axle is now visible in the center of the wheel cover."
---
Seeing the amount of dirt, water, and general crud that can collect on the wheel under the wheel covers, I would be concerned that the exposed axle end would be vulnerable to 'contamination'; could this be a problem?

Shouldn't be a problem unless the rig is driven a lot on salty roads. Many pickups and bigger trucks have the axle ends exposed.  Also, the axle is coated with the tough Factory paint, not to worry.
When washing the rig, I blow the wheel covers out with water and see dirt and black brake pad residue coming out.
I like to drive their after doing this to dry the brakes, the disc pad's backing plates can rust and come apart if left wet too many time. it's not a pretty sight.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze