Skip to main content
Topic: GenTent (Read 155 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: GenTent
Reply #1
Wondering if anyone here has any experience with this product or company?
GenTent canopy cover to run portable generator or inverter generator safely...

Oh, that's cute, a little tent for the generator.
Being made of fabric, it will probably rot out in your higher altitude sun in a couple of years.

IMO, it's better to build a small shed-like covering to keep the sun and weather off the generator while still having it available for immediate use.
Our small home generator is located on the side of the garage, it has four sides that pop off, allowing the exhaust and engine heat to escape. It's built out of pressure treated 2X4s and fiberglass roofing .A heavy duty cord runs into the garage, ending at a  4-gang receptacle.
Suntuf 26 in. x 6 ft. White Opal Polycarbonate Roof Panel-159856 - The Home...
Everything is out of the weather so it can be run during a rain storm without feat of electrocution. When not in use, it is fully protected from the elements.
A shed can be built for less than a GenTent, if you are handy. and have the time. . If built right, it will last for years.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Any photos of your shed, Larry?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
Greg,

It appears to me the Gen Tent would be just the thing for my Honda EU3000is.  In the many years I've had my generator, it's been out of my garage and in actual service probably no more than 14 days total.  Otherwise, just out on nice days for its quarterly exercise.  The Gen Tent kit appears to be a simple solution.  Most of the essential hardware, once installed is out of the way, so all that's required if one needs the genny is to move it into place and install the canopy.  Given my usage, I'd expect it to last as long as I'd ever need it. 

Bill

Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #4
Thanks for your input, Bill. We never had a problem, and never felt the need for a generator, until this last Fall when the power companies decided they needed to do these PSPS’s. Since those tend to happen in dry, windy weather, I anticipate that is mostly when we would need to run the generator so I’m thinking like you that the GenTent might work but am looking at other solutions, such as Larry’s, as well.

Something I just discovered is that I need to replace the carburetor jet for high altitude service since we are at 5600 ft. elevation. Going to call a local a Honda service center today to inquire about that. I would like do it myself but don’t know how involved it is or how it might affect the warranty if I did it.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264