Skip to main content
Topic: Inserting an Image in Personal Messages Function (Read 809 times) previous topic - next topic
Inserting an Image in Personal Messages Function
Chris Horst;
"""In the PM function there is an icon, 4th from right towards the end of the 2nd row, which when clicked on says "insert image"""

Been there!! Tried that!!  Couldn't figure out how to go about obtaining an image URL from a personal photo, IE, from an image not ALREADY posted on line.

If anyone wants to help a technology-challenged person figure out how to do this, I would be eternally grateful!! I run into this in other venues too, and it stops me in my tracks!! It happens often enough to make me want to know how to do it

Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Attaching Photos in Personal Messages Function
Reply #1
Chris Horst;
"""In the PM function there is an icon, 4th from right towards the end of the 2nd row, which when clicked on says "insert image"""

Been there!! Tried that!!  Couldn't figure out how to go about obtaining an image URL from a personal photo, IE, from an image not ALREADY posted on line.

If anyone wants to help a technology-challenged person figure out how to do this, I would be eternally grateful!! I run into this in other venues too, and it stops me in my tracks!! It happens often enough to make me want to know how to do it

Thanks for trying, Alice. Let's see if anyone can figure this out. I started a new topic for this research.

Chris

Re: Inserting an Image in Personal Messages Function
Reply #2
I have tried, several years ago, to attach photos while in PM correspondence a few times. It never worked.

Now, if I want to share a photo with a forum member, I obtain their email and send the image via an attachment. Works all the time.

I often share videos and photos via the app IMO. IMO is not a secure site so it’s important not to send certain things through it. That being said, videos of almost any length and multiple photos can be sent with ease.

It’s an instantaneous response system so conversations can be “live”. My brother and I converse regularly using IMO. It works well and even has a video chat mode.

These are just a couple of ways I share photos and videos. It may be something to think about if two LDOF members want to share photos etc. without going through this forum.

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
"Now, if I want to share a photo with a forum member, I obtain their email..."

If you set up your profile to share your email, members can find it by clicking on your avatar and scrolling down to "contact information".

Chris

Reply #4
I tried to insert an image in a PM today, and like Alice, could not figure out how to type the URL for the image into the dialogue box.
Like Kent, I've resorted to e-mail to send images that aren't for general membership viewing or interest.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #5
Sorry everyone, attachments are not supported in the personal message system. 

You can of course provide a link to a file or photo but attachments of any kind are simply not supported, its not even an option to enable.   Last time I checked there were also no addons available to add that feature. 

Thinking about it, and I have not tried this, you may be able to setup a media album with "Disable browsing" which basically hides it unless you have the link (or are the owner) .  You could then provide that link in your PM.  Again that's just me thinking out loud, or typing out loud I suppose.

Reply #6
Sorry everyone, attachments are not supported in the personal message system. 

You can of course provide a link to a file or photo but attachments of any kind are simply not supported, its not even an option to enable.  Last time I checked there were also no addons available to add that feature. 

Thinking about it, and I have not tried this, you may be able to setup a media album with "Disable browsing" which basically hides it unless you have the link (or are the owner) .  You could then provide that link in your PM.  Again that's just me thinking out loud, or typing out loud I suppose.
Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

Chris