Skip to main content
Topic: "Degree of Level" Guidelines for RV Refrigerators (Read 448 times) previous topic - next topic
"Degree of Level" Guidelines for RV Refrigerators
My second driveway where my LD is parked between trips is sloped.
I drive up 13" high ramps to get it almost level.

My question would be, considering the refrigerator, is it okay to park it off the ramps at that angle?
Is it okay to fire up the fridge at that angle?
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Storage angles
Reply #1
"Is it okay to fire up the fridge at that angle?"

I see no reason to think that starting the fridge would be harmful.

However, continual operation at that angle will most certainly end in damage to the appliance. Absorption refrigerators need to be relatively level for the cooling chemicals to work properly. Parking the rig off level, even for short periods, is harmful. And, make a habit of it and you are inviting trouble because the effects are cumulative, a little here, a little there and before you know it you'll be smelling that rotten egg smell and see the yellow stuff leaking out of the cooling coils.  :o   :(
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Ted,

A couple of things come to mind when you mention parking on a 13” incline of ramps/blocks.

1): Are you raising the rig with the ramps under the front tires or the rear tires? If the rear dually’s are being elevated, are all four tires being supported equally? Just a concern.

2): You mention “almost level”. How almost level? I use a small circular bubble level placed either on the countertop between the sink and stovetop in our RB. I’ve also found the division between the two sink halves to be very reliable to determine “level”. Using the bubble level, I’m good to go if the bubble is about 1/2 a bubble off of the center. Any more off than that and the fridge will either not light or it will shut down. In either case the level will need to be addressed. (See photo for bubble level used and illustration of acceptable “off center”)

As Andy mentioned, running the fridge off level is a bad thing. Although Lazy Daze doses mention that if the rig is comfortably walked around in then you should be ok.

Personably, I would take that guidance with a grain of salt. I’ve been able to walk about without discomfort only to find the fridge has turned off after a short time even though I was only “slightly off bubble”. 🤪

Certain vintage fridges may be more capable of “self preservation” by shutting down on their own. Ours is very capable, yours may not be. Keeping an eye on the bubble can help. I’ve actually noticed our levelness change after the rig has settled in while camping. Driveway parking may be a different story since the rig is less susceptible to settling if parked on concrete.

Hope this helps.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
For what it is worth, I just finished replacing a refrigerator freezer in a boat.  It was expensive, time consuming, and awkward to get in and out of the boat.  I had to dis-assemble the old and the new fridge to get the old unit out and the new one in, in pieces.  The damned thing was also heavy.  I don't want to go through this exercise with the Lazy Daze.

I don't run our fridge on AC or propane if the bubble on my level is off by more than 1/4 bubble.  The time it takes to get back outside and level the rig is insignificant compared to the time and money to replace the damaged fridge from running it while the rig is off level.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #4
Using the bubble level, I’m good to go if the bubble is about 1/2 a bubble off of the center.
Kent, do you consider it "1/2 a bubble" of center if the bubble almost touches the second circle? That's how I understand your picture.

If my rig is parked like that I feel that the floor is slightly not level when walking in there. I therefore allow the bubble to be not more off center than halfway between the circles (I believe also my fridge feels better that way, but yours might be less finicky).

I use a small circular bubble level placed either on the countertop between the sink and stovetop in our RB. I've also found the division between the two sink halves to be very reliable to determine "level".
That's a great tip. So far I always placed the bubble level at a certain spot on the floor in front of the fridge. Now I checked "your" two positions, and both show almost identical levels as the floor position - and it's easier to see it up there.

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #5
I seem to recall someone suggestion putting the level on the floor of the fridge.
I guess you could put one there and measure 'level' elsewhere to compare.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #6
My second driveway where my LD is parked between trips is sloped.
I drive up 13" high ramps to get it almost level.

My question would be, considering the refrigerator, is it okay to park it off the ramps at that angle?
Is it okay to fire up the fridge at that angle?
From a thread on iRV2:

"We have a Dometic RML8555 in our RV, and I could not find anything in the operating instructions regarding the limits for operating the unit out of level, so I emailed customer support and received the reply below. I just thought other Dometic refrigerator owners might like to know the manufacturer's recommendation:"

"Thank you for contacting Dometic. The refrigerator should not be more than 3 degrees unlevel left to right, or 6 degrees unlevel front to back. We do not recommend having the unit unlevel for more than 1-2 hours as this can increase the chances of a blockage. However, we do recommend if you can, have the unit level at all times."

I changed the thread title to better reflect the discussion and to make it easier to find in a search,

Chris

Re: "Degree of Level" Guidelines for RV Refrigerators
Reply #7
I seem to recall someone suggestion putting the level on the floor of the fridge.
I guess you could put one there and measure 'level' elsewhere to compare.
This is what I did (after taking out the bins), and then I found a spot on the floor that showed exactly the same levelness. That spot is directly on a crossing between the plastic tiles and easy to find. However, I will from now on use the division between the two sinks because the level is easier to read next to the window.

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #8
Klaus,

You are correct in your understanding of my photo, however, I do prefer to be 1/4 off center.

Once the fridge lights, I stay in the rig and monitor the “check” light on the eyebrow of the fridge. If it stays lit for 5-10 minutes, I feel pretty certain that it will be safe.

Our fridge will not remain lit if unlevel. The check light will be on and the fridge will shut down requiring the rig to be leveled again.

I’ve tried using the “level in the fridge/freezer” but get better results as I mentioned. I feel the flooring material can be unpredictable for acquiring level.

So far so good.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #9
From a thread on iRV2:

"Thank you for contacting Dometic. The refrigerator should not be more than 3 degrees unlevel left to right, or 6 degrees unlevel front to back. We do not recommend having the unit unlevel for more than 1-2 hours as this can increase the chances of a blockage. However, we do recommend if you can, have the unit level at all times."[/font][/size][/color]

When they say "level at all times" I'm wondering if they are referring to during operation?

[edited down excess quoted post - Michelle]
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #10
I’ve been able to walk about without discomfort only to find the fridge has turned off after a short time even though I was only “slightly off bubble”. 🤪
Certain vintage fridges may be more capable of “self preservation” by shutting down on their own. Ours is very capable, yours may not be.

Unless you refrigerator has an ARP, there is no 'self preservation' device in any refrigerator installed by LD.
Get the Fridge Defend - be COOL be SAFE!

Placing a bubble level in the refrigerator is fine, to make the leveling job even faster, put a set of bubble levels in the cab, one on the driver's door and another on the dash. When pulling into a parking site, you can immediately determine what needs to be done to get the rig level.
Amazon.com: Hopkins 08526 Never Fade Two Way Graduated Level: Automotive

Years ago,  the rig was leveled in the driveway, verified with a digital level in the refrigerator, then the door and dash levels were glued in place.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
When they say "level at all times" I'm wondering if they are referring to during operation?
To reduce damage to the refrigerator, it should stay within the "acceptable level" guidelines during operation. Angles beyond those guidelines impairs circulation of the refrigerant, causing overheating. Overheating damages the refrigerator boiler components. Damage to the boiler components is cumulative. Failure of the boiler components releases hydrogen gas, which can cause fires.

If the refrigerator is turned off, the guidelines do not apply.

Our habit, both with our former Lazy Daze and current motorhome, is to shut off the refrigerator when in a known unlevel state, then turn it back on again when level.

Going down the road is an interesting condition: One can exceed the leveling guidelines for seconds or minutes (think long grades). Damage may occur. I'll note that thousands/millions of RV absorption refrigerators are subject to transient unlevel conditions and keep running. As said, though, damage is cumulative.

If you want to reduce the likelihood of overheating, buy and install the ARP system. I have done that on the current motorhome. It works whether the motorhome is moving or stationary.

Our mid-bath had two level indicators, installed exactly as Larry described. They made it easy to level the coach quickly.

Mark H.
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #12
With my Big Feet, I pull into my spot, then check level (I'm surprised at several places that are already level).  I have a small torpedo level I place on the black framing of the freezer unit to check front to back, then use the remote to drop the Feet on the front or back; then I place the level on the arm of the sofa to level side to side...then I recheck the freezer frame for front to back, because it sometimes changes when doing side to side.  I do love my Big Feet.  :D

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #13

Our mid-bath had two level indicators, installed exactly as Larry described. They made it easy to level the coach quickly.

Mark H.

Additionally, if your bathroom door stays open in a desired position, you should be level.

Chris

[edited down excess quoted post - Michelle]
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #14

Mark H.

Our LD has these.
I have gotten real good at estimating the number of blocks needed at which tires.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #16
Going down the road is an interesting condition: One can exceed the leveling guidelines for seconds or minutes (think long grades). Damage may occur. I'll note that thousands/millions of RV absorption refrigerators are subject to transient unlevel conditions and keep running. As said, though, damage is cumulative.

Quoted the owners manual that came with our Dometic refrigerator.

"The RV does NOT need to be PERFECTLY level, but there should be no noticeable sloping of RV floor or walls.
It is NOT critical for refrigerator to be level while RV is traveling. The rolling and pitching motion of travel helps keep the absorption system balanced."

You are not damaging the refrigerator when going up and down steep grades.
It took 15 years for our LD's refrigerator to die, our previous LD's refrigerator lasted 20 years, they are not as sensitive as you might think, both spent considerable time in off level positions when it was not possible to get perfectly level.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #17
Quoted the owners manual that came with our Dometic refrigerator.

"The RV does NOT need to be PERFECTLY level, but there should be no noticeable sloping of RV floor or walls.
It is NOT critical for refrigerator to be level while RV is traveling. The rolling and pitching motion of travel helps keep the absorption system balanced."

You are not damaging the refrigerator when going up and down steep grades.
It took 15 years for our LD's refrigerator to die, our previous LD's refrigerator lasted 20 years, they are not as sensitive as you might think, both spent considerable time in off level positions when it was not possible to get perfectly level.

Larry

I concur.
Ours lasted 23 years.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #18
Our current RV has a Norcold refrigerator. They specify less than 3 deg. side to side (fore and aft for the RV) and 6 deg fore and aft (side to side for the RV) at 3 deg many people will notice the unevenness and 6 deg would be uncomfortable for most people.

Ken and Pat waiting for a Todd call
Ken and Pat 2021 Midbath Mariposa