Skip to main content
Topic: How to tow a fifth wheel (Read 192 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: How to tow a fifth wheel
Reply #1
Ah.... the vehicular version of 'People of Walmart'.  ::)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
In some states (including California), triple towing is legal. Not sure this setup qualifies though!  :o
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
Do you suppose that this guy may be a 'Redneck'?

But, thinking outside the box is okay, especially if you don't like pickups!   8)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
"In some states (including California), triple towing is legal."
----
AFAIK, triple towing, private or commercial, is not legal in California.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
"In some states (including California), triple towing is legal."
----
AFAIK, triple towing, private or commercial, is not legal in California.

Must have changed recently? To clarify, what I mean by triple towing is towing two trailers with one motorized vehicle. My verbiage may be wrong.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
When I owned a fifth wheel in 2002, it was legal to tow a trailer behind a fifth wheel and we still see it out on highway 15 and highway 8 on busy weekends with the offroaders returning from the desert.  When camping with the LD at Mt. Shasta last year, my neighbor arrived with a fifth wheel behind his truck and a boat on a trailer behind the fifth wheel.  Watching the choreography of dropping one, picking up the other and back and forth to put everything into the site was impressive and certainly not for me.

I don't like the idea of not being able to back up.  It is bad enough flat towing the Jeep, but two trailers?  No thank you.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #7
Semantics, it seems. To me, 'triple towing' is one vehicle and two trailers, but perhaps more clearly expressed a 'doubles towing'?
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Semantics, it seems. To me, 'triple towing' is one vehicle and two trailers, but perhaps more clearly expressed a 'doubles towing'?

Either way, I'm with Harold. It's not for me!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
Looks like the redneck equivalent of a Slimp dolly. It's not actually a bad concept: it takes most of the tongue weight off the tow vehicle. Of course, the tow vehicle still has to be able to pull the load behind it! I doubt this one is rated for that load.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
My buddy had a 43' triple axle 5th wheel. Not a toy hauler, but just as big.
He pulled that with a bobbed Freightliner class 8. Overall length was around
65'. Which in a lot of stated is the limit.
When his wife died he left it all in storage in Texas and bought a new class A 42'.
The next year we went down to pick it all up in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. When we first got
there we hooked everything up behind the Freightliner and towed the Jeep and trailer on I-20 across Texas for a day.
You should have seen the looks of those passing us, we went on and on, close to 90'. No hassles from Texas police. When we left the interstate and got on US highways across NM, we unhooked and I drove the Jeep the rest of the way back to Oregon.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #11
From the DMV’s recreation vehicle handbook:

“License classes are based on the size of the vehicle you wish to drive or the weight of the trailer you wish to tow. No passenger vehicle, pickup truck, or RV may tow more than one other vehicle without a Commercial Class A license with the proper endorsement.”

I also looked at the Code and CA does indeed permit triple towing with the right license and under various restrictions. — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄