Skip to main content
Topic: Tire pressure in winter (Read 186 times) previous topic - next topic
Tire pressure in winter
The last time I checked my tire pressure was in November when we usually had 70-75°  in the afternoon and rarely below 50° at night, and I adjusted it to 75 PSI. Since then the rig was parked in my driveway. Now I checked the tire pressure again and had 70 PSI on all tires.

Today the temperature did not go over 50° in the afternoon; at night it sometimes goes down to around 30°. I'm wondering whether the lower pressure has something to do with the temperature. I'm not sure whether the pressure dropped by 5 PSI within two months before (I had the rig standing in my driveway for some months before).

I'm planning to leave for Quartzsite tomorrow or on Tuesday.

Question: Should I put the pressure back to 75 PSI regardless of the outside temperature in the afternoon, or should I stay a little lower?

Thanks, Klaus

PS: I just researched this elsewhere (Internet!) and learned that at wintertime the tire pressure should be higher than at summertime. Makes sense (when thinking it through). I guess I should bring the tire pressure up to 75 PSI again - or go even a little higher, right?
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Re: Tire pressure in winter
Reply #1
Set it to 75 psi and then don't be concerned about small fluctuations.  Check it at the same time of day when it hasn't been driven.    Lower temperatures will bring it down slightly, higher temperatures and driving brings it up slightly, and over time some air molecules will get out.   During a year or so you may loose 2-3 pounds (guessing on that) assuming there are no actual leaks.     Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #2
Changes in elevation will cause small fluctuations also.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
I believe that a person can pick too many nits if given the opportunity!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!