Skip to main content
Topic: Insulation. New vs Older (Read 203 times) previous topic - next topic
Insulation. New vs Older
We have a 1995 TK and I was wondering if any of you had the experience of owning and older one like ours and then upgrading to a much newer LD?
If so, is the insulation capability of the newer LD's way better?
I think I know the answer but just want confirmation.
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Insulation. New vs Older
Reply #1
We have a 1995 TK and I was wondering if any of you had the experience of owning and older one like ours and then upgrading to a much newer LD?
If so, is the insulation capability of the newer LD's way better?
I think I know the answer but just want confirmation.

I would assume the foam is better than the fiberglass better but no matter how good the insulation, the limited depth (1' to 1-/2") of it limits how well either type performs. Then there is all the glass which passes heat and cold well, especially around the aluminum window frames. The lack of a thermal break allow the window frames to transmit heat and cold directly to the interior.
Having own an LD with and without dual pane windows, we noticed little improvement in comfort but did notice a significant reduction in the transmission of outside noises to the interior. With the fogging window problem, I wish they had stuck with the single pane windows.

The bottom line is that LDs are not optimized for extreme climates even though many camp year round in hot and cold climates. The Canadians build better insulated RVs, in return you get few windows and thicker walls.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I would assume the foam is better than the fiberglass better but no matter how good the insulation, the limited depth (1' to 1-/2") of it limits how well either type performs. Then there is all the glass which passes heat and cold well, especially around the aluminum window frames. The lack of a thermal break allow the window frames to transmit heat and cold directly to the interior.
Having own an LD with and without dual pane windows, we noticed little improvement in comfort but did notice a significant reduction in the transmission of outside noises to the interior. With the fogging window problem, I wish they had stuck with the single pane windows.

The bottom line is that LDs are not optimized for extreme climates even though many camp year round in hot and cold climates. The Canadians build better insulated RVs, in return you get few windows and thicker walls.

Larry
Thank you Larry.
I've cut custom bubble Reflectix insulation for my windows. I assume the same holds true for a new LD?
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Thank you Larry.
I've cut custom bubble Reflectix insulation for my windows. I assume the same holds true for a new LD?
Reflectix certainly works in my 2013 31 IB.  The most significant piece is the one in the shower skylight.
YMMV
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE