Skip to main content
Topic: Headlight 'restoration' product (Read 412 times) previous topic - next topic
Headlight 'restoration' product
I know that this topic has been worked over quite a few times (and the prevailing option was to replace the headlights instead of trying to 'de-yellow' the covers), but I saw this product and wondered if anyone had used it and, if so, what their experience was?

Headlight Restore Kit - M4 Products
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Headlight 'restoration' product
Reply #1
I just ordered one. I’ll let you know how it works. I’ve got pretty yellow lenses on my ‘06. — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #2
Thanks, Jon! The lenses on my 2003 aren't really bad, and I don't drive at night, but they could use a bit of 'brightening'!  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3

Jon,

I wasn’t able to determine if a sealant was included in your lens cleaning kit. Meguiars makes a sealant spray for DIY headlight cleaning.

I recently replaced my Avalon lenses after having polished them several times in the last few years. They always yellowed again within a few months. Scotty Kilmer recommended the Meguiars sealant. It should be applied after the cleaning is done. Applying it every year is supposed to eliminate future yellowing. Amazon.com: Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating, 4 oz. – Maintain...

I used it on my Avalon’s new lenses and my ‘15 LD lenses as a preventive measure. I’ll reapply when the time comes. If it keeps them from ever yellowing it will be worth the $8.00 I paid. I did four headlights and there is still product in the can. 

An ounce of prevention...

Kent

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
Kent, the product packaging indicates 3 steps: clean, dry, coat. The last is some sort of UV shield. I guess only time will tell. — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #5
I saw the headlight restore product at Sema last year.  It really worked on some old lenses, but man was it stinky.  Just about passed out when he opened the sealed bag.

Reply #6
Kent, I do get a kick out of Scotty's videos and he does know his "stuff". I'm going to get me some Meguiars.

Steve
2003TK

Reply #7
I know that this topic has been worked over quite a few times (and the prevailing option was to replace the headlights instead of trying to 'de-yellow' the covers), but I saw this product and wondered if anyone had used it and, if so, what their experience was?

Headlight Restore Kit - M4 Products
While my LD is parked uncovered in storage, mostly summer months, I lift the hood and attach (a small slit on each side) a sheet to the hood cushions and close the hood. The shortened sheet covers all the front lenses.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
Thanks, Jim!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Refinishing sun damaged headlight is an act of futility, the results will be short term and the light pattern will never be as good as new.
Headlights are manufactured with a thin coating of ultraviolet resistant material, this surface is what is damaged and removed when refinishing.
Once the outer coating has been removed,  the underlying plastic, which isn't ultraviolet resistant, will quickly decay and yellow. None of the kits come with a replacement ultraviolet resistant coating.
Additional polishing will completely destroy the headlight's light pattern. BTDT too many times.
The cure is a tough one, buy new headlights.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
Hi Larry. This Meguiar's kit does come with a spray can of UV resistant coating. It does work. I used it on my Tacoma truck about a year ago.  Meguiars also says to repeat the coat every year, and they mean it. It does start to cloud up and yellow after a year. I recleaned one lens (they are small compared to the size of the motorhome headlight) and repolished and recoated it. Still need to do the other one.  Count on that being a yearly thing.  Eventually you will end up replacing them anyway.
     I replaced the headlights on Bluebelle, took longer, more expensive, but a better solution in the long run. No polishing, no masking, no overspray, no bugs stuck to the lens, etc.     RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB