Skip to main content
Topic: Destroyed entry step (Read 464 times) previous topic - next topic
Destroyed entry step
Hi all-
Well, I did it. I forgot to push in my step when I went on a winter joyride today... I really destroyed it- drove right up next to a rock wall and the step broke away from the mount- definitely not repairable. (I've read the topic "mashed entry steps", but that thread is basically about steps that can be repaired.
Has anyone out there had to replace their step assembly before ? I have a 2003 mid-bath with a manual step.
Do I have to go to the factory, or are these steps fairly universal? I see some for sale online that say that they fit every RV made but that seems unlikely.
Also, does anyone have any experience with replacing the manual step with an electric one?
Thanks for the help!
Laura
Livin the dream, one nightmare at a time.....

2003 26.50MB, Blue

Re: Destroyed entry step
Reply #1
Hi Laura,
I haven't had to replace my steps yet, but I've sure spent lots of time under the rig repairing the d****d electric model.
If I could make one small change to my Lazy Daze, it would be to go to the manual steps.

Good luck with your repair.  It shouldn't be too difficult and you will NEVER forget to put in your steps again.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #2
"...the step broke away from the mount..."

I think that the bigger question would be: Is the mount damaged?

Until you find someone to take a serious look at the situation your questions will go unanswered!  ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3

Do I have to go to the factory, or are these steps fairly universal? I see some for sale online that say that they fit every RV made but that seems unlikely.

Most assuredly LD does not make their own steps  :D  Back in 2003 they might have been a Kwikee branded model, which is now owned by Lippert, I believe.  If you can take reasonable measurements of the remnants you can probably figure out which model to purchase.

"...the step broke away from the mount..."

I think that the bigger question would be: Is the mount damaged?

^ This, however, may be the rub ^

Reply #4
Replacing the metal step is relatively straight forward. The key is whether or not you destroyed the wood frame portion where the step attaches to. If that is the case, you will need to repair that first. The wooden portion of the step that is inside the coach is the supporting structure for your manual step. It NOT easily repaired. As with anything LD, that wooden box affair is built like a tank. Hopefully, that was not damaged significantly. If it is, a trip to the factory maybe in order, or at least a good carpenter maybe required. Just my $0.02 worth.
1997 RB

Reply #5
My 2003 has one of these models, unfortunately I don't know which one.
Thought it might help anyway.

Keep on having fun.

Langton
2002 27" RB

Reply #6
When I destroyed my step hitting a rock the step was easily replaced by an RV repair facility but damage to the box and flashing was either not noticed or not fixed correctly. I had no idea until dry rot set in and the floor by the step got very soft. At that point I made the 1000 mile trip to the factory to get it fixed correctly. Vince and crew did a great job but they ended up replacing most of the box and entry floor. It was a time consuming job and not cheap.
2007 MB

Reply #7
Our 2003 LD has an electric step that, if my wife permitted it, it would be ripped out and replaced with a manual step.
It has required numerous repairs, just a few days ago it stopped working while in Death Valley, the cause yet to be determined.
It has suffered motor failures, connector issues, gearbox problems and the magnetic reed switch broke.
I really hate it.
To retrofit an electric step would be a large project, getting all the needed wiring to right places would be a major job.

Your big concern not is how badly damaged is the floor above the step, an area that often gets wets and stays wet for periods of time, leading to rot. The step's Factory installed rubber mat traps water under it.
When a step is impacted hard enough to destroy it, the bolts attaching the step to the floor usually tear out or do other damage to the floor. I have rebuilt a couple of damaged and/or rotted step areas and it can be difficult work but it needs to be repaired to Factory specs to handle the amount of stress imposed on the floor when the steps are extended and stepped on.
Having the step fall off while using it could disrupt your whole day.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
I have a 2003 and absolutely love my electric step. I do semi-regularly spray it with the prescribed lubricant. I've owned this rig for 10 years and had only one repair. The repair guy did a thorough cleaning and lubricating when it didn't want to move all the way out. I paid him because I'm too old to get down there and do it myself.

We had a manual step on a prior RV. I extremely disliked having to push it in and pull it out. We did forget to retract it several times, and once a person fell out the door when we forgot to extend it.

I guess we all have different experiences. Now that I've posted this, the electric step on the LD will probably quit tomorrow! Ha!
Judy Dewey
2003 26' RK

Reply #9
A Safety Step is a handy extra 'up and down platform'; the height allows for positioning just under the front edge of the rig step (manual, and trouble-free  ;) ). The Safety Step is very stable; even if the corner or edge is stepped on, it doesn't tip. The large step (in the link) is the best choice, IMO; although it's a bit pricey, the Safety Step is well-constructed and will last a very long time with minimal care.

There are other brands, but I'm familiar only with the quality of the Safety Step.

Folding Step Stool for Sale | since 1972 | 44-1502
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10

We use one similar to Joan's - Homeon RV step
Very solid and height is adjustable (I think the one Joan pointed to was also adjustable but I was not sure by the description).
Jane

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #11
No, the Safety Step that I have, i.e., the 'large' model, is not adjustable; it's a fixed 8" height.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
"...the 'large' model, is not adjustable..."

Where there's a will, there's a way!

I own, and have used for many years, the same step as Joan's. I bought it knowing full well that it was too tall for my purposes. Once I got it home and on my workbench things took on a different shape.

If you remove the cross-bolts at the upper end of the legs you can then cut the length of those legs to any dimension you want, re-drill the mounting holes and reassemble. My step measures 6"s from ground to platform.   ;D   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!