Skip to main content
Topic: Driving a LD on Rough Roads (Read 264 times) previous topic - next topic
Driving a LD on Rough Roads
Question: When driving the LD with the E-450 chassis down a pothole or rougher road does it make loud boom, boom sounds when it hits the rough area?   I think it is normal for a 450 chassis. Especially without any suspension changes. But I just want to confirm.  I am especially interested in this answer for a 31IB.  I love that model.

I have seen more interest for Liquid Springs on the rear end.  They basically replace the rear suspension with high tech suspension.  I was curious how much weight difference there is after adding LS. LS is only available for Rear axle. LS is developing LS for front axle as well. I contacted LS and got the answer below.

My Question:

How much additional weight, if any, is added to rear axle when LS is installed versus just having stock E-450 rear axle?

Answer:

If you add LiquidSpring to the rear of your coach it will add 90lbs to the front and 190lbs to the rear.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Carl Harr
Director of Sales/Marketing
LiquidSpring LLC

Could install LS on Any LD but would further squeeze capacity’s on the 31IB.  Oh ya, LS cost around $12,000!! It is probably a better option for a Class A than a Class C unless one really desires a smoother ride. It is supposed to give ride of diesel pusher but not at the high cost.

Ron
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Re: Driving a LD on Rough Roads
Reply #1
Ron,

I frequently drive unimproved dirt roads to our preferred camp sites in the desert. I was apprehensive at first, not having 4x4 like our last rigs, and not even limited slip.  However, the Lazy Daze has pretty good traction with the dually rear end and about 8000 lb over the rear wheels.

What the Lazy Daze lacks is ground clearance.  Our solution is to drive slowly and carefully.  When I encounter suspect terrain, I Get Out And Look (GOAL).  I am very careful with pot holes and bumps that I might high center on.

I carry a shovel, a couple of good bottle jacks, and two pieces of plywood to make a good base for the jack on soft substrate.

No problems so far.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #2

No problems so far.

Harold

<smile> famous last words ....

We also drive down/up dirt roads.    We have a smaller LD of course so your mileage may be different.    Have been places with hind sight should have NEVER been there.    As they say hind sight is always perfect.  Maybe the only thing in this world that is.   GOAL is your friend.  I tend to use my dear wife as a barometer.   When I feel her nails digging into my right arm I know I should look for a camping spot sooner rather then later.......

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #3
"What the Lazy Daze lacks is ground clearance.  Our solution is to drive slowly and carefully.  When I encounter suspect terrain, I Get Out And Look (GOAL).  I am very careful with pot holes and bumps that I might high center on."
---
Harold's GOAL advice is solid; getting stuck in soft dirt, sand, mud or whatever is hassle enough, but there are quite a few vulnerable areas and objects on the underside of the LD that can be whacked, torn off, and/or punched through on heavily rutted, potholed, dirt and/or gravel (or bigger rocks!) goat trails. Longer rigs, particularly the 'long-tailed' 30'/31', are more vulnerable to damage than the short rigs on very rough road surfaces, but none are immune to being trashed due to a poor route choice.

YMMV, as always.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
What I hate are washboard roads.
You have to drive just fast enough to skip over them or you get bounced all over the place.
25 miles of this out to Green River Lakes, is enough to rearrange the furniture if it wasn't nailed down good.
Jota
96 23.5 FL