Skip to main content
Topic: It Was Meant To Be (Read 406 times) previous topic - next topic
It Was Meant To Be
    In April of 2010 Elizabeth & I picked up our new green Rear Bath LD at the mothership and now 9+ years and 116000+ wonderful miles later we had decided to sell "Monty."  Last February we had Todd Miller place our name on the waiting list for a new replacement LD. Last month (November) I was in contact with Todd who said we should be getting our order form in the mail soon. So I began unloading Monty and starting the cleaning/detailing for sale process. I thought I would take my time until I saw  a post on this forum of someone wanting to buy a LD now. I sent that person a private message about Monty soon being available for sale. Moderator Chris Horst had also received another private letter from another new LDOF member Mike Fletcher living near Destin, FL who was also looking for a good LD and was ready to buy. On Monday, Dec. 9th I sent Mike a note with photos about Monty soon being available after I finish getting it ready (see photo).  On Dec. 11 Mike and his wife, Alma, arrived at our ranch to inspect Monty inside, outside and under (see photo). Four hours later they had committed to purchase Monty at my price (which will remain private). Mike had spent many hours going over all the photos in my photo albums on this forum which played a big roll in their decision to buy Monty. The first person who was looking was unable to come see Monty before Mike arrived and I always go with the first with the means to buy.
    On Monday Dec. 16th Mike had the purchase money wired to our bank account and he received the signed title from us which allowed him to get a tag before picking up Monty.  Thursday, Dec. 19th (my birthday) Mike & Alma arrived to take possession of their new coach and the name "Monty" was retired. As the Fletchers were new to motor-homing they stayed with us for a couple of nights at our indoor full hookup campsite where we could give them some instructions on using the coach. They left Saturday morning Dec. 21st (see photo).
    Later that afternoon I went to our mailbox and there was envelope from Todd Miller with the Temporary Order Form to order a new 2021(their designation) LD!. Today, Dec. 26th, we mailed a deposit check for our new green Rear Bath (identical to Monty) with the options we have specified. It will be on the new Ford 7.3 V-8 engine chassis. Todd said that delivery will be this sometime this summer. We will be flying out at that time and take our time returning back to Florida.
    This LDO Forum is so valuable in SO many ways and we are truly appreciatively of all who contribute to it's success.  
     Happy New Year to all!!
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Re: It Was Meant To Be
Reply #1
Congrats on both ends ,
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #2
I love a happy ending. Congratulations to both parties.

Happy New Year to all.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
Nice congrats! Why did you end up selling? Monty looked to still be in awesome shape? Any issues mechanically over those 110,000 miles?
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #4
George Peppard, as Hannibal Smith on the old A Team series, "I love it when a plan comes together."

Congratulations all around. 

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #5
     In answer to why we are selling:  I had kept Monty in excellent shape over the years addressing any potential problems before they irised. Never had any issues from the beginning with the coach. That is why I chose the LD brand. The only big problem was the rear axle was bowed upward from the differential on both sides causing the inside dual tires to have excessive wear on the inner edges. Tampa Spring & Axle corrected the problem by detaching the axle housings from the differential and re-welding them with the proper alignment. TS&A said they have found this problem more in the last several years on a wide variety of vehicles from cars to even the largest trucks. They suspect that the axles come from off shore sources. 
    I never really had any other significant problems with the Ford chassis except loosing the fan belt at 69K miles. I carried a spare belt so it was easy to have a garage replace it. I do anticipate possible problems such as spark plugs, coils, wheel or drive shaft bearings, brakes, and replace them before something goes wrong. What is most important is replacing fluids on a scheduled basis. This includes all synthetic oils (engine, transmission and rear axle), 5-year yellow radiator fluid with flush, brake fluid flush, etc.  I waxed the exterior yearly with New Finish and the paint still looks new. It does help to store inside. I even on a few occasions used a spray wax on the roof to prevent tree tannin from badly staining the paint while camping in the woods. I did keep written records of all maintenance events over the years which is beneficial for the new owner.
     The reason we decided to order a new LD was because at my age (77 years) the new coach should easily serve us well for the next 10 to 15 years when I may decide to slow down a little. :-)
     Mike, the new owner of Monty already said he wants first refusal to buy our new LD when it comes time for us to sell it. I will remember this for our new friends, Mike & Alma.

2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #6
     In answer to why we are selling:  I had kept Monty in excellent shape over the years addressing any potential problems before they irised. Never had any issues from the beginning with the coach. That is why I chose the LD brand. The only big problem was the rear axle was bowed upward from the differential on both sides causing the inside dual tires to have excessive wear on the inner edges. Tampa Spring & Axle corrected the problem by detaching the axle housings from the differential and re-welding them with the proper alignment. TS&A said they have found this problem more in the last several years on a wide variety of vehicles from cars to even the largest trucks. They suspect that the axles come from off shore sources. 
    I never really had any other significant problems with the Ford chassis except loosing the fan belt at 69K miles. I carried a spare belt so it was easy to have a garage replace it. I do anticipate possible problems such as spark plugs, coils, wheel or drive shaft bearings, brakes, and replace them before something goes wrong. What is most important is replacing fluids on a scheduled basis. This includes all synthetic oils (engine, transmission and rear axle), 5-year yellow radiator fluid with flush, brake fluid flush, etc.  I waxed the exterior yearly with New Finish and the paint still looks new. It does help to store inside. I even on a few occasions used a spray wax on the roof to prevent tree tannin from badly staining the paint while camping in the woods. I did keep written records of all maintenance events over the years which is beneficial for the new owner.
     The reason we decided to order a new LD was because at my age (77 years) the new coach should easily serve us well for the next 10 to 15 years when I may decide to slow down a little. :-)
     Mike, the new owner of Monty already said he wants first refusal to buy our new LD when it comes time for us to sell it. I will remember this for our new friends, Mike & Alma.

Great information thank you! I can't believe you're 77! Can't wait to see what the new rig looks like on the new chassis with the V8! I am sure it will serve you well for the next 15-100 years ;D
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #7
My mother always said "Always buy your motorhome from a man with his own motorhome lift".

Mike is correct...it was meant to be. And new friends made in the process. We are pleased to be new members of the LD family.
Long distance motorcyclists new to rv
2010 Rear Bath