Skip to main content
Topic: Holiday Pi (Read 180 times) previous topic - next topic
Holiday Pi
Here is a little gift for conversation around the campfire.  I enjoyed it and it doesn't require any complicated math.  We have forum members who enjoy knowing how things work and you may find this interesting.

I did.

Prehistoric Calculus: Discovering Pi – BetterExplained

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Re: Holiday Pi
Reply #1
"...you may find this interesting."

Oh my aching head! I had to do this once for the Air Force and found it very painful even back then.

Now just the reminder is starting to bring on a Migraine!    :o  ::)   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Irrational, pi is.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #3
In my freshman year, the trig professor wouldn’t allow us to use calculators, slide rules or lookup tables for the first week of class.  Yes, slide rules were still being used and calculators were expensive.  Anyway, the first test he gave was to calculate pi, sine, cosine, etc. with only pencil and paper.  Calculators and slide rules were allowed after the first test.  He wanted his students to know how to do the basics.  His methods were strange but he turned out to be a pretty good professor.

Later I took a fortran programming class and one of the assignments was to write a program to calculate pi.   It was somewhat easier to do since I already knew how to calculate pi thanks to the trig professor.

I hadn’t thought about those days for a very long time.  Thanks Harold, for the trip down memory lane  ;D

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #4
In my freshman year, the trig professor wouldn’t allow us to use calculators, slide rules or lookup tables for the first week of class.  Yes, slide rules were still being used and calculators were expensive.  Anyway, the first test he gave was to calculate pi, sine, cosine, etc. with only pencil and paper.  Calculators and slide rules were allowed after the first test.  He wanted his students to know how to do the basics.  His methods were strange but he turned out to be a pretty good professor.

Later I took a fortran programming class and one of the assignments was to write a program to calculate pi.   It was somewhat easier to do since I already knew how to calculate pi thanks to the trig professor.

I hadn’t thought about those days for a very long time.  Thanks Harold, for the trip down memory lane  ;D

- John

John,
Your reply took me back to my first experience using Fortran to program the population dynamics of fish while in grad school.  We used punch cards and as each iteration of the program got more complex, the stack of cards got bigger and my anxiety about dropping the box and losing the card order got more intense.
I'm glad those experiences are OVER.
Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life