Skip to main content
Topic: Upgrade Path  (Read 451 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Upgrade Path
Reply #1
HD - EarthRoamer - The Future of Luxury Overland Travel

For those that need a few more gallons of capacity and a little extra solar AND have a few $$$ needing to be spent.

glen
Choke!

Each HD is a fully loaded, luxury expedition vehicle featuring every option we offer including things like lithium batteries, radiant floor heat, washer/dryer, dry bath, and so much more. The price of an EarthRoamer HD is $1,700,000 plus options. Our experienced design team will work with you to tailor the floor plan to your specific needs.

Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Well, THAT certainly explains things.

Every time I asked Todd if I could get something a little different (like a Ford factory limited-slip differential), he said "We don't do that."

I just needed to add "Of course, I'm willing to add another $1,600,000 to the price of a new Lazy Daze for the options I want."

2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #3
One of our friends has an Earth Roamer.  It spends most of its life in an enclosed garage.  On the plus side, the factory does organize very interesting Earth-Roamer -only multi-day expeditions to places where if you get stuck, a helicopter may be required to get you out.  After two of those trips, he and his wife decided to stick to paved and well- graded roads.

Go figure.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #4
Greg Frazier has completed four or five circumnavigations of the earth.  No, not in a $1,700,000 Earth Roamer, but on a motorcycle.  The last time around, he did it on a $5,000 Kawasaki KLR650.  He presently has 64,000 miles on the bike.

Dr. Frazier’s Round and Round and Round the World Motorcycle Journey | Review

I think I'll skip those two extremes and keep our Lazy Daze.
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #6
Earthroamer recently introduced a carbon fiber body that saves a lot of weight.
Unfortunately, they also charge 6 figures for it.
I'm waiting for the well heeled to upgrade to the latest and greatest, opening up the used market
for the ones that no longer make the cut.
They should only fetch $400,000 or so, making it still only $300,000 out of my reach.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #7
This Mercedes Unimog Camper Is The Ultimate Go-Anywhere RV

If you are serious about off-road, and want a better vehicle, the above model will be more maneuverable and better height clearance. No idea on price, but the Unimog chassis has been around forever...
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #8
While exploring the Crater Lake area on the bike, we encountered a German couple in this Mog.  They were exploring the US and then heading down to Mexico and beyond. They said it was thirsty for fuel and had not taken it off pavement yet.

I'm pretty sure we had more fun on the twisty roads than they did.
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #10
I wonder what type of person buys a 1.7 million dollar off-road RV?  Obviously someone who has more money than what they know to do with it and probably looking for an ultimate status symbol. I would also assume they have never a driven a larger vehicle in the backcountry.
Considering how long, wide, tall and heavy this RV is, along with a very high center of gravity, where it can be driven is going to be limited.
It certainly will not go into much of the West's backcountry, it would not fit or be able to navigate tight, narrow trails.
The high center of gravity makes rolling it on an off-camber trail is a definite possibility.

Outside of crossing the Sahara, this rig is too wide to be driven on most roads outside of North America, the rest of the world has narrow roads where a wide body vehicle will not fit.   In many parts of the world, you would need a security team to guard the thing, something that expensive is a very attractive target for thieves, kidnapers and other criminals.
So where does one use such a beast?

In five decades of backcountry travel, we have never seen an "expedition" vehicle in the wild, they have always been in campgrounds, often with full hookups. This include the three Earthroamers we have seen.

For 1.7  million, one could buy 14 new LDs.
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
"For 1.7  million, one could buy 14 new LDs."

And take 13 of your closest friends camping with you!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #12
"I wonder what type of person buys a 1.7 million dollar off-road RV?  Obviously someone who has more money that what they know to do with it and probably looking for an ultimate status symbol. I would also assume they have never a driven a larger vehicle in the backcountry."

Our friend with the EarthRoamer was a heavy equipment operator as a young man and grew to building houses, shopping centers, and finished  his career playing the options market and made zillions.  He and his wife don't want to travel internationally any more because they say they have now been "everywhere",  often having taken custom trips, by themselves, arranged and guided by the National Geographic staff.  They described a multi-month trip with a small group in a chartered jet, staffed by NG, and they went to lots of interesting places with guided tours circumnavigating the globe. 

As an aside, they bought a Jeep and went on a Jeep trip where they were out gunned by owners with modified vehicles.  Our friend had his Jeep completely and professionally upgraded for rock crawling and now it is impractical to use on the road. It lives next to the Earth Roamer in their second home in Nevada.  Neither has been used in the last year.

Their economic situation is unlike 99.99% of the RV population, and likely unlike 99.999% of the US population.  I suspect that buying the Earth Roamer just sounded like fun.

They would have had a better time in the Lazy Daze and likely used it more.  His wife told me that climbing into the overhead bunk in the ER is awkward and uncomfortable and difficult for bathroom breaks in the middle of the night. 

They are nice people with far more money than most of us can imagine.  At least he made it all himself, rising from humble beginnings and making a fortune through hard work, sharp wits, and the ability to take big risks.
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #13
"For 1.7  million, one could buy 14 new LDs."

And take 13 of your closest friends camping with you!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie
You do realize what that would do to the waiting list, don't you?  :)
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #14
Meh...no panoramic LD windows.  Not a jealous/envious/covetous bone in my body, as neither offer the FOLD, which is worth waaaay more than a paltry $1.7.

Larry summed it up to a "T"  "Obviously someone who has more money than what they know to do with it and probably looking for an ultimate status symbol." 

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #15
HD - EarthRoamer - The Future of Luxury Overland Travel

For those that need a few more gallons of capacity and a little extra solar AND have a few $$$ needing to be spent.

Yeah, that’s nice but I would rather have this (must be the ex-sailor in me):

Eclipse - The World’s Most Expensive Private Yacht
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #16
These megatoys simultaneously titillate the imagination and give rise to disgust considering all those who might not have presents under the tree. Let's move on to another topic, please.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB