Skip to main content
Topic: Colors of LD (Read 567 times) previous topic - next topic
Colors of LD
Hi there,
I'm just about to order my LD.  Todd says they're getting together the new ordering packets and I'll be receiving it in the mail as soon as they're all together.  I anticipate sometime in January 2020.

My best case scenario will be a flight out to Montclair to order, but life may get in the way of that and I'll have to order by mail.

I'm trying to decide on a color....blue or green.  LD's web site has photos that show all the colors in similar lighting except for the blue.  Is the blue on their home page the way the new paint scheme looks in real life?  Isn't the bottom color a bit darker?

Does anyone have a good side view photo of the new blue scheme that shows real life colors?

Thanks, Linda
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Re: Colors of LD
Reply #1
The blue colors of the LD pictured on the website are not accurate for current models; the bottom paint is a darker blue, and the blue 'swoops' are a little more 'greyed' than in the photo. The photo looks like it was taken in bright sunlight, and that affects the appearance of the colors. Also, the paint used now is different from the paint(s) used on earlier models, so all the colors are slightly different from the traditional paint scheme, and, from what I've seen, slightly different from the first models with the 'swoops and swirls".

Maybe someone with a blue 2018 can provide a photo, but if color choice is critical, making a factory visit to place the order would be a good idea.  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
"I'm trying to decide on a color....blue or green."

As my rig is a '04 I cannot speak to the paint used on the newer models. However, this has been my experience, that with the colors of my vintage the Teal Green is far and away the less susceptible to fading. This does not hold true for the color Blue. I know that many of the Blue rigs of the same age are really faded and look their age. Not so mine!   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
"that with the colors of my vintage the Teal Green is far and away the less susceptible to fading. This does not hold true for the color Blue. I know that many of the Blue rigs of the same age are really faded and look their age."
----
My experience is different!  ;)  In my view, durability of the paint job on rigs with the traditional design range from silver and red being the most prone to fading and discoloration,  green is in the middle, and tan and blue retain their color and 'shine' better than the other colors.

Of course, how well the paint job on any color lasts is determined to a large extent by how and where the rig is stored, the amount of 'exposure' to weather, sunlight, sand-blasting, etc., and how often it's clayed/waxed/polished. The paint on the aluminum sections of my green 2003 (a 'metallic' paint) is still in very good condition, but there is fade on the rear fiberglass sections and on the green hood stripe, largely due to an east-west exposure where the rig is kept.

I don't know how well the paint that LD currently uses lasts without diligent maintenance, but, from my observations, all traditional paint colors can and do fade and dull unless they're regularly and diligently waxed/polished; I've seen a few really shiny older red rigs and a few badly faded and weathered tan and blue rigs of the same vintages. Candidly, most of the silver rigs (again, the traditional paint job, not the newer swoops and swirls) I've observed are pretty badly faded.  :(

YMMV, as always.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
This has been the topic of more than one campfire discussion.
It's been my experience that the brown and blues hold up the best, the silver and red the least and green in-between somewhere. I seem to remember either Steve or Vince telling me the same.
I suggest you ask LD what colors they feel hold up the best with today's paints. The pigments may have changed over the years to ones that are more colorfast.

It can be hard to judge how well a particular rig's paint color is holding up unless you know if its history,  has it been parked inside or has it lived its life out on the streets.
Our 2003 LD celebrated its 17th birthday last week and the blue still looks OK after a good wax job, it has always been parked outside, in the driveway.  The lower striping, on the fiberglass, isn't holding up as well as the painted aluminum and may get a new coat of paint this year, along with the wide strip that Ken is replacing.
17 years is a long time for any paint job to last, the two-part polyurethane is tough paint but the pigments can go bad long before the paint starts to fail.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Todd told me blue modern would hold up best.

Reply #6
Hi there,
I'm just about to order my LD.  Todd says they're getting together the new ordering packets and I'll be receiving it in the mail as soon as they're all together.  I anticipate sometime in January 2020.

So glad to hear that you are ready to order. Hope all is going well with you. Looking forward to seeing you in May.
Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.

Reply #7
We took delivery of a Silver 27MB this past Spring. My DW preferred Silver (she calls it Gray) as she had understated tastes. Had the decision been mine, I would have chosen Green (I love bright colors).

We knew we would store in doors as long as we can afford it.  We also knew I would care for the paint as long as I am able.  So, metallic paint durability was less an issue for us than preference. 

My advice is to go with what your heart says - the joy you’ll experience knowing you’ve indulged your passion for design (as well as quality and other Lazy Daze characteristics and of course the motor home adventure experience), I imagine is a big reason you’re doing this.

Best wishes and welcome to the Lazy Daze Community!

Warren
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #8
Linda, may I ask when you got on the waiting list?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
Linda, may I ask when you got on the waiting list?

Greg,
I don't think you can use me as a measure.  I called in July of 2018 and told them I want to take delivery August/September 2020  (when I retire) and asked when I should get on the list.  Todd said he'd put me on the list then and just move my name along until the right time to order.  I called again in July 2019 and he said  I'm still on his list and I should order in January 2020.  Called this last week and this time Vickie took my address to send me the ordering packet "when they get them all together"

As you can see, I have been researching and planning for my retirement for quite some time.
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #10
Hi Linda

Marie and I picked up our 27' MB on June 12, 2017.  She is blue.  Here is a picture of her in a light that might help you out with the blue color.  Whatever you choose, you will end up with an RV that will be a joy for years to come.  Our Bosa Nova has been for us.
David and Marie  8)  8)
David and Marie Philbrick
Proud former 2017 27' MB Owners

Reply #11
Dave, thanks for the pics.  The one newer blue LD I remember seeing seemed like it had the lower blue stripe about the color on the passenger door of your picture.  A bit darker, but I know that is in shadow.

Still undecided, but I have a month or so to decide   :-\   I know I have to get out to CA.........
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #12
Linda, Re: retirement - you will love it.  There are drawbacks 1) you don't get weekends off, 2) you don't get 2 weeks vacation/ year.   I am sure you will be able to adjust to those drawbacks within a reasonable timeframe

This was our color decision tree:  1.   I liked the blue,  but it had poor dirt disguising characteristics.
2.  Brown was a better to choice to hide the dirt.   3.     We didn't think it likely that it would be in the dirt all that much. 4. Road grime is a more likely issue,   and road grime tends more to gray than brown.  The silver lining to Orwan is the paint job.  I call it gray.

joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #13
Joel, I think of retirement like this: everyday is Saturday . . . except for Sunday!   :)

Thanks for the info, Linda, and congrats!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
Linda, Re: retirement - you will love it.  There are drawbacks 1) you don't get weekends off, 2) you don't get 2 weeks vacation/ year.  I am sure you will be able to adjust to those drawbacks within a reasonable timeframe

This was our color decision tree:  1.  I liked the blue,  but it had poor dirt disguising characteristics.
2.  Brown was a better to choice to hide the dirt.  3.    We didn't think it likely that it would be in the dirt all that much. 4. Road grime is a more likely issue,  and road grime tends more to gray than brown.  The silver lining to Orwan is the paint job.  I call it gray.

joel
Joel,  I don't think I'll miss the weekends and SIX weeks vacation and 10 federal holidays each year, but I will miss the 5% 401k match.  As you say, I guess I'll adjust.

My color decision tree:  Brown--I live on a dirt road and everything here is brown.  It will definitely hide the dirt better, but it'll still look like dirty matte brown.  Grey/Silver--My last 3 cars were silver and I'm ready to try  another color.  Red--I like it, but not as much as blue or green.  Blue or Green--I've always wanted a vehicle in these colors.  Recently, it's hard to find one that isn't ecologically green that is painted green or light blue.  I'm leaning towards blue, but the old LD blue is a bit blah for my taste.  I think the new blue that has more contrast between the stripes is prettier.  With all this back and forth in my mind, I'll probably  end up getting green because I do like it a lot.

As Warren said  "go with what your heart says - the joy you'll experience knowing you've indulged your passion for design (as well as quality and other Lazy Daze characteristics and of course the motor home adventure experience), I imagine is a big reason you're doing this."

Linda
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #15
(Obviously) any color exterior with either the traditional or 'modern' paint scheme will require consistent maintenance. Although I still prefer the traditional LD paint job, I believe that the newer design without striping, fewer large areas of colors, and white-front overcab will be easier to keep up.

I don't know what type of paint LD is using now, but, AFAIK, none of the colors is 'metallic'; the traditional paint schemes of green and silver were 'metallic' (at least the lighter tone), which contributed to faster 'fade'. 

I'd pick whichever exterior color appeals the most, with the understanding and acceptance that all will show dirt, dust, road grime, rain splatter, streaks, and bugs, and that the crud on all of the colors can be washed off and the surface waxed. Choosing the interior colors is as critical - or more so - than the exterior color, IMO; you will be living/traveling in the inside, not the outside. Keeping in mind that the tinted windows of the LD do cut the amount of interior light, the choices of paneling color (light or 'dark') and upholstery fabrics become even more important. Additionally, how, where, and with whom and/or what one travels with will determine interior color and 'fabric' choices when ordering a new rig.

If at all possible, visit the factory to see and experience whatever they have as floor models; many times, a new buyer has decided on a model, exterior and interior color choices, and options and changed his/her mind after seeing and 'pretend-living' in the real thing. One-dimensional floor plans and a photo of a color chart and small fabric swatches are 'iffy' ways to make choices, IMO. An option might be to see a late model LD (as many as possible) at a regional get-together.

Good luck with the choices.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #16
I don't think you can use me as a measure.  I called in July of 2018 and told them I want to take delivery August/September 2020  (when I retire) and asked when I should get on the list.  Todd said he'd put me on the list then and just move my name along until the right time to order.  I called again in July 2019 and he said  I'm still on his list and I should order in January 2020. 

Great idea!  I’ll do the same in 2021.
Dave

2017 TK