Skip to main content
Topic: First roof cleaning...rookie mistake😭 (Read 331 times) previous topic - next topic
First roof cleaning...rookie mistake😭
First roof cleaning and it was going so well. Little chilly out but everything was cleaning up well with some car wash, simple green and elbow grease. I even remembered to lube the satellite and TV antenna! On my way down I crawled past my air conditioner shroud and put a little too much pressure on it. Crack! Argh! That was a $125 mistake. Fortunately Amazon had a replacement Dometic shroud in stock. I duct taped it for now but being 11 years old the plastic was probably a bit brittle anyway. Roof looks pretty good though doesn’t it??😂
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Re: First roof cleaning...rookie mistake😭
Reply #1
Roof looks pretty good though doesn’t it??😂

I'd say it looks like new!  And boy, would I like mine to look like that. 

But the cold weather is not going away (in Nevada of all places) before we depart the area, so I guess this will be a project for next year. 

Eternabond, keep doing your thing please 🙏🏻
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Reply #2
"being 11 years old the plastic was probably a bit brittle anyway."

At that age they are about as brittle as an eggshell. I know--I've had the same experience, as have others here. Tip: before you install the new one, paint it white. Keeping UV off it will make it last much longer!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
"being 11 years old the plastic was probably a bit brittle anyway."

At that age they are about as brittle as an eggshell. I know--I've had the same experience, as have others here. Tip: before you install the new one, paint it white. Keeping UV off it will make it last much longer!

Thanks for the pro tip Andy. I’ll grab some 2x Rustoleum spray paint and give it a couple of coats. Guess I should remember to do that for our roof escape hatch too!!
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #4
"I'll grab some 2x Rustoleum spray paint..."

Somewhere back in the dim dark regions of this forum I recall that paint for the stated purposes should be for 'plastics'.

After losing two shower domes to UV deterioration I painted the third with a 'plastic compatible' paint and did not have any more problems.   ;) 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
"paint for the stated purposes should be for 'plastics'. "

Right. Krylon and (I believe) Rustoleum both make paints specifically labeled as such.

And yes, painting the escape hatch is also a good idea.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"