Skip to main content
Topic: Range hood fan blades hit filter (Read 137 times) previous topic - next topic
Range hood fan blades hit filter
Checking everything out as we just bought this less than a week ago.
There seems to be no clearance between the fan blades and the filter. The fan won't spin with the filter in place. I am thinking there is something missing, something that is supposed to mount between them.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Re: Range hood fan blades hit filter
Reply #1
Typically, this means either the blade has shifted to the wrong place on the shaft, or the motor shaft is protruding too much because a shim inside is missing. Check also if there was some modification made that is causing the issue. Never ran into this with either our '83 or our '04.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Looking at mine, though it was my first thought, it's hard to see that there's enough extra shaft on the motor for the blade to just not be on far enough. My guess would be that because of a remove & replace, the blade was installed 'upside down'.  These fans have curved blades, with a steeper pitch at the blade tip, which could hit the filter if in wrong. An easy test would be to remove the filter and turn on the fan.  If it seems to be pushing air down towards the stove rather than pulling it into the hood, the blade's in wrong.
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #3
Not sure if this picture will show much. It looks like the brackets are bent too much.
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #4
Here is a pic of the fan in out '04, which does NOT rub:

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Could the air motion be sucking the filter up into the fan blades? I don't remember the details. I do have a '99 TK.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
The metal brackets were bent downwards. I was able to straighten them out.
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath