Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone using AT&T ToGo RV cellular/wifi setup for internet on the go? (Read 206 times) previous topic - next topic
Anyone using AT&T ToGo RV cellular/wifi setup for internet on the go?
Hi All,

For our internet setup we are using a MOFI4 500-SIM V2 Enterprise Rugged Router with Verizon unlimited service.  I mounted the device inside the MaxAir Vent in the rear of the RV, which keeps it weather-proof but also outside the aluminum shield.  It works very well, and has improved sensitivity over my own phone as a hot spot.  That's the good news. 

Bad news is of course Verizon unlimited data plans are expensive, and alas, not really unlimited.  Verizon limits the "hot spot" (what they consider my MoFi) to 15 GB unthrottled, and then it drops to a pathetic 600 kbps.  I use that along with the hotspot feature on my iPhone, for which they allow 30 GB unthrottled, and then dropping again to 600 kbps.  So while that sounds like a lot, I've used it up both months we've been on the road.  What can I say, I like to be connected!

So, while I was camped at Grand Canyon, I ran into a guy who had retrofitted a Blue Bird bus for his family.  We talked about internet and he told me about "the best deal out there", for AT&T ToGo RV cellular/wifi:  the device itself costs $360 (one-time payment), and you can get unlimited data for $360/year (upfront payment, but effectively $30/mo which is ridiculously low).  The device itself was in a self-contained small dome and mounted to his roof.  And best of all, he said the unlimited data plan was truly unlimited; no throttling based on usage!  That could be a game changer.  I believe the device is made my Wineguard, certainly well known to us in the RV world.

Now I'm well aware that Verizon has the best coverage for RVs in the US.  But, given those reasonable prices, I could imaging *adding* the AT&T ToGo RV device and service for whenever we were in AT&T coverage zones.  That would certainly free up my Verizon usage, and I would likely not hit data limits, and might even be able to drop down to less expensive fixed data plans.

So my question to the group -- is anyone using this AT&T ToGo RV device and service?  If so, can you comment on how well things work, what your connectivity is like, are there any restrictions I don't know about, etc., etc.  I'd really love to read some first-hand reports.

(And for those wondering, I'm not using this for watching any TV -- we don't -- so alternatives for that are not what I'm looking for.  However, I do watch videos - on various topics - and so use a lot more data than just e-mail and text.)

Thanks in advance for any inputs on the AT&T ToGo RV device and service, or other ideas for the topic of getting good internet while on the road.  
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Re: Anyone using AT&T ToGo RV cellular/wifi setup for internet on the go?
Reply #2
Thanks for that link Joan.

I remain curious if anyone on this forum has used the TOGO system.  If so, please chime in!

In my continued research, I found this video (and the comments are useful as well):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26JzalwrP2o

Good luck!
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Re: Anyone using AT&T ToGo RV cellular/wifi setup for internet on the go?
Reply #3
IMO internet access on the road is a evolving/moving target.   My best advice is the spend as little as possible because you will be updated quickly.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King