Skip to main content
Topic: How to remove inside light cover (Read 218 times) previous topic - next topic
How to remove inside light cover
So how do you get off the cover over the lights(long rectangle) over the couch? I have tried every trick except brute force. Is there a squeeze play or screwdriver trick? Going to town tomorrow and would like to get replacement bulb. Help!
I know, I know, just how many Irishmen does it take to change a lightbulb:)
2005 RK

Re: How to remove inside light cover
Reply #1
In my 2003, I just insert my thumbnails into the space between the plastic cover and the fixture about a couple inches from each end and press/push backwards slightly; one side of the cover drops and can be easily removed. The light cover fits into the fixture with shallow slots/tabs that run the full length of the cover.

You may not find a replacement 'bulb', depending on what's in there (and where you shop to find one); is it the original 18" fluorescent tube light, or were the lights changed out to LEDs?
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Easy Peasy, thank you Joan. Its a FEIT electric, long life 15 watts,F15T8/CW, cool white made in Thailand. So just a regular light?
Next step, do you have to twist to remove bulb, push one way or other to release, pull straight down? Tried those but maybe not enough muscle? My guess is that its the original. It's my night time reading light. Is it possible to switch a bulb from another fixture that I don't use as much? Is there a type of bulb I should not use, like maybe right size but over 15 watts? All help appreciated.
2005 RK

Reply #3

This fluorescent tube?

https://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-F15T8-CW-Fluorescent/dp/B000I18U9Y

If so, (from what I remember) the tube has two pins on each end that fit into curved grooves in a ceramic 'base'. I think that the pins are inserted into the groove, then the tube is turned about a quarter turn to secure it. However, I am not sure I'm remembering correctly; the fluorescents in my rig were changed out for LEDs quite a while ago, and my old brain doesn't always hold on to stuff! I suggest that you look closely at the connections at each end before trying to replace the tube. Maybe someone with the original fluorescents can verify or correct how to replace them.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Joan has it right.  Each tube end has two pins.  These slip up veritcaly through a slot at the bottoms of each lamp socket, then the tube its turned 1/4 turn to engage the pins in spring loaded electrical contacts which hold the tube in position.  To remove rotate the tube until the pins are aligned with the slot and pull the tube down.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #5
Thanks, Art!  The teeth on my gear wheel are getting a bit worn, so I try to be careful about the information I post!  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Nailed it! I'm glad I didn't just pull it straight down. Thanks to you both I have removed the old and ordered the new!(4) I was almost not going to ask for help cuz it had to be simple, but you both are very gracious with your help and sharing your expertise and I appreciate. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
2005 RK

Reply #7
I was almost not going to ask for help cuz it had to be simple,
Sharon, it's said the first one is genius, all the rest are engineering.
It's easy, once you know how, and for most any question someone probably knows how.
You proved once again, the smart thing to do is ask.
See you down the road.
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE