Skip to main content
Topic: Will 24/7 Shore Power Damage Batteries?  (Read 1351 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: Will 24/7 Shore Power Damage Batteries?
Reply #50
Hi Chris; First, you may not have left much on. Lead acid batteries have internal leakage and will discharge at a rate of 1 to 4% per month (depending on internal condition and age) all by themselves without any help.  Some propane detectors draw in excess of 1/10 Amp. That is about 2 Ah per day. Two 6v batteries, about 220 AH capacity, at 50% discharge that's about 50 days. It adds up. Modern LP detectors are about 1/3 of that.  One thing I've seen personally is leaving the heater on, set at a low temperature, but not off.  During the night the temperature gets cold enough to turn the fan on, but it can't heat because the propane is shut off.  So the fan runs all night until it warms up in the morning, and the fan shuts off. You don't know unless you are out there in the cold. Worse you can run out of propane.
      You might have the original converter in your '94, like my old 6345. It disconnects the batteries and supplies the house with up to 45 amps. The disconnected batteries are connected with a mediocre charger, about 3 amps, and no protection about overcharging. 3 amps may not damage a battery quickly, but you really want a 3 or 4 stage charger, with a lower float voltage that won't damage batteries. The old converter does a poor job of charging the batteries when they need it the worst. 
    Your batteries should be ok though as long as you are plugged in.  Otherwise check for left on lights.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Will 24/7 Shore Power Damage Batteries?
Reply #51
94-TK
I have two Interstate 6V Deep Cycle RV Batteries… Something was left on,  batteries are dead.  If I plug into shore power will my batteries charge?

You can try plugging the rig in and seeing what happens.
Lead-acid batteries do not like being left fully discharged, it is very destructive to them, the batteries are most likely not usable anymore or will have limited recharge capacity.
If your LD still has the original converter new batteries will be at risk of an early death, think about upgrading to a modern, multi-stage converter. The older chargers were well known for often overcharging the coach battery.
Upgrade Kits for Magnetek/Parallax

If planning on storing your LD for long periods, consider adding a battery switch or disconnect the battery when not in use.. As Ron pointed out, there are small drains on the battery when not in use.
Adding solar panels and a solar controller can help keep the batteries charged, our LD's converter is always left off when stored, letting the solar panels charge the nbatteries.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze