Skip to main content
Topic: Ticks!  (Read 187 times) previous topic - next topic
Ticks!
I have been recently hit with the Alpha Gal meat allergy. This should not be perminate but can last years.  That is you got it until you don’t.  I’ll get tested every year.  For me this is not such a big deal.  I like fish and fowl.  But I’ve been to the emergency room twice now. The first time, and a second time from going to a bar and grill where the chicken (a fowl and not a mammal) touched the area that meat was cooked.  
This comes from a tick bite. Mostly LoneStar ticks (I was a Redskin fan before Dan Snider so they were gunning for me), but any tick or chigger can give you the allergen. I strongly suggest treating your clothing.  Permethrin is vest and I will add a link to a company that will treat your clothing. The chemical is also available at REI, Amazon and others. The advantage of having it professionally done is that the treatment will last longer, and o thins the company has to be true to EPArules.  A warning this stuff is very toxic to cats and fish. 

Stay healthy and enjoy a some BBQ for me. 
John

http://www.insectshield.com/

Permethrin - Wikipedia
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Re: Ticks!
Reply #1
In addition to permethrin for clothing, picaridin has been shown useful and is skin-friendly.  The same folks who make Fresh Cab rodent repellent make a picaridin spray, "Stay away mosquitoes", which helps with ticks as well

EarthKind® Stay Away® Mosquitoes | Earthkind

I think DEET is the only other skin-friendly tick repellent.

Reply #2
A friend of mines life has been devastated by Lyme disease. He has gone to the best treatment facilities which are in Germany and still can't beat this thing. I used to think ticks were no big deal but not anymore
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #3
Ticks are nasty; a person (dog, deer, horse, cat, any warm-blooded critter) and pick up a tick or ticks any time of the year, but spring, particularly in any wooded, grassy, weedy, or brushy area, is the worst time, with late summer and early fall another 'season' in which to be particularly watchful. A 'tick check' of clothing, hair, and skin of humans and pets should be carefully done as soon as possible after potential exposure; it may take the tick a little while to 'attach', but sometimes the tiny arachnids can be hard to spot! The link below offers a lot of good information.

Ticks | Ticks | CDC

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
I take a scalding hot shower after a day in the brush and I've never found a tick on me after one of these turn your skin red showers. Ticks can't take the heat and get out of the kitchen
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.