Skip to main content
Topic: Lithium ion swap (Read 439 times) previous topic - next topic
Lithium ion swap
Can lead acid batteries be simply swapped out for lithium ion bats. My 2002 26' mid bath unit has 2- 100 watt  factory installed roof solar panels. This could seem to be a reasonable investment if the existing charging system is compatible with the new Lith ion bats. Most of the time the lead acid bats seem fine but I read some compelling stuff about the Lith Ion bats. Thanks.
2002 MB

Re: Lithium ion swap
Reply #1
The short answer is "No."

There are sellers who will tell you otherwise--that they have "drop-in" LiFePO4 replacements--but from what I've seen, they're not to be trusted.

LiFePO4 batteries have many advantages, but they require different charging than lead-acid batteries--no absorb, little or no float, no charging below freezing, etc. Your 2002-vintage converter/charger and solar charging controller will most likely damage a set of expensive lithium batteries.

I like lithium batteries. I've installed them in both my rigs. But I designed those charging systems from scratch to work with the new LiFePO4 batteries. Unfortunately, you can't just swap them into an old lead-acid system.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Battle Born seems to have a good reputation and they claim that with their integrated BMS etc, their product is "Compatible with your current charger, smart charger or inverter charger".

Andy's concerns are valid since your rig has 2002 vintage equipment, but you might want to contact the manufacturer directly and see what they recommend.

Contact - Battle Born Batteries

Steve
2015 TK

Reply #3
Probably an old converter wouldn’t hurt a Lithium battery with it’s 13.7 volt charge but it is a waste of a battery that can charge at 60+ amps for one and over 100 amps for two. The old converter would be lucky to hit it’s rated 45 amps. Put in a battery monitor and try it.

A lithium battery cannot be charged below 32F. I often deal with temperatures like that which means the Lithium battery should not be in a vented Flooded Lead Acid (FLA) battery box. It needs to be inside.

I have two Battleborn batteries and they have worked very well for almost two years. Generator run times are measured in minutes, not hours.

You need a lithium battery, a 60 amp or more lithium charger, an inside battery box and a battery monitor. You are looking at $2500 including wire, battery lugs and a crimping tool for two batteries.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #4
You need a lithium battery, a 60 amp or more lithium charger, an inside battery box and a battery monitor. You are looking at $2500 including wire, battery lugs and a crimping tool for two batteries.

Or you can buy two 6-volt deep cycle batteries from Costco for $200.
https://www.costco.com/Interstate-6-Volt-Golf-Cart-Battery.product.100476406.html
The better Trojan batteries cost around $170 each, still less than $400 for a pair. The Trojans in our LD are eight years old and still working fine.
Trojan T-105LPT-MV Group GC2 Battery

Changing to lithiums is better suited to a newer rig, one that has chance to to take advantage of a lithium's very long life.
I designed and installed battery, solar and charging systems in LDs for over ten years. For the majority of LD owners, unless they are full timers, two lead-acid batteries are adequate, if they have solar..
As Andy suggested, a large, dedicated lithium charger should be used, lithiums are much too expensive to experiment with.
I can't tell you how many LD owners I know that have had electrical problems or a poorly designed charging system that burned up their batteries.
A $2000 failure would be tough to swallow.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
If you are interested in the Trojan T105 check around at local battery suppliers for golf carts. I just purchased two of those for $115 each in Mesa, AZ. Prices were all over the place and this was by far the cheapest.

Jim

Reply #6
For now, lead acid batteries and the time tested and economical (?) way to go.  Unless you have some specific desire that requires Lithium, I think the technology needs some time to mature.

That said, I also think there is space for someone who is a tinkerer to make some progress with 48v panels and salvage electric vehicle batteries.  For example, something like this could be the start of a really nice system.  http://azlithium.com/shopexd.asp?id=152

Here is someone who took Nissan Leaf batteries and put them into an RV.  They claim around 2000 Amp-hours @ 12v! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV8fyzOTjsk

10 years from now we should have some options that really make our 6v lead acid batteries look ancient by comparison.

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #7
If you are interested in the Trojan T105 check around at local battery suppliers for golf carts. I just purchased two of those for $115 each in Mesa, AZ. Prices were all over the place and this was by far the cheapest.

Good to know.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8

Jim
I did the same thing in the Denver area.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
That was a lot of really good information! This Forum is GREAT. Thank you all.
2002 MB

Reply #10
Or you can buy two 6-volt deep cycle batteries from Costco for $200.
https://www.costco.com/Interstate-6-Volt-Golf-Cart-Battery.product.100476406.html
The better Trojan batteries cost around $170 each, still less than $400 for a pair. The Trojans in our LD are eight years old and still working fine.
Trojan T-105LPT-MV Group GC2 Battery

Changing to lithiums is better suited to a newer rig, one that has chance to to take advantage of a lithium's very long life.
I designed and installed battery, solar and charging systems in LDs for over ten years. For the majority of LD owners, unless they are full timers, two lead-acid batteries are adequate, if they have solar..
As Andy suggested, a large, dedicated lithium charger should be used, lithiums are much too expensive to experiment with.
I can't tell you how many LD owners I know that have had electrical problems or a poorly designed charging system that burned up their batteries.
A $2000 failure would be tough to swallow.

Larry

Wow lots of good info here. I'm going to need to replace my Trojans and I think I'm just going stick with them for now since we are not full timers. Weekend warriors at best right now.
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.