Skip to main content
Topic: Covered Storage (Read 427 times) previous topic - next topic
Covered Storage
Wondering how many keep their rigs under covered storage?
 Why do you keep it covered or why not?
2018 Mid-Bath Beatrix (bringer of joy)

Re: Covered Storage
Reply #1
Wondering how many keep their rigs under covered storage?
 Why do you keep it covered or why not?
Mine was under covered storage until last year when the owners sold out. Reason to use covered storage is to keep the sun and elements off the LD. The sun is the worst offender after hail here in the Denver area. I now use an RV cover.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Mine was under covered storage until last year when the owners sold out. Reason to use covered storage is to keep the sun and elements off the LD. The sun is the worst offender after hail here in the Denver area. I now use an RV cover.

Chris

Is there a brand you recommend?

Reply #3
"Mine was under covered storage..."

Mine has never, in 15 years of Calif. sun, been covered. The very few storage facilities near me do not have 'covered' sites and are cost prohibitive at any rate.

My rig is parked on a pad, immediately next to my house, where I know it is secure and always available for use or maintenance. It will accommodate a visiting guest this very week.   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
"Mine was under covered storage..."

Mine has never, in 15 years of Calif. sun, been covered. The very few storage facilities near me do not have 'covered' sites and are cost prohibitive at any rate.

My rig is parked on a pad, immediately next to my house, where I know it is secure and always available for use or maintenance. It will accommodate a visiting guest this very week.  ;)

Do you get snow where you are?

Reply #5
Is there a brand you recommend?

Not Chris, Kit, but you may want to check out CalMark out of Oxnard, Ca. They are a bit pricey but are excellent quality:

CalMark Cover Co - Custom RV Covers for Travel Trailers, Campers, Motorhomes,...
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
"Wondering how many keep their rigs under covered storage?
Why do you keep it covered or why not?"

We keep our 26.5 2005 RB under cover at a storage facility for three reasons.  One is to keep the elements (sun and hail, mostly) off of her; another is that we are not allowed to store a motorhome at our home.  I'm pretty sure that even if we were allowed to store her at home that we would still have her in a storage facility anyway to prevent the above-mentioned weather damage.  The third reason is there is electricity available to keep the battery system charged up.  The solar panels would do this, but by the nature of the cover, the panels are not all that effective in the shade!

The cost is just at $100. a month to do this, which is a lot, but repairing sun, wind, rain and hail damage can also be expensive.  This storage area also includes pretty much a rodent-free atmosphere.  About seven years ago, when we stored her closer to home, but not covered or rodent-inhibited, we incurred a $2500. repair bill for rodent damage to the wiring.  Not keen to do that again.

We learn from experience.  Our personal circumstances do not support owning an RV at this point, but we are reluctant to give up the hope that some magic will produce improved health circumstances.  We need a full-time driver like the rock stars have for their mammothmobiles.

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  Vindaloo

Reply #7
The first couple of years we had our MB it was stored outside.  When we bought our last house, it had an attached, enclosed RV garage where the coach lived whenever we were not traveling.  In the garage, the coach was protected from sun, rain and freezing temps (no snow concerns in that area).  Also, the danger from from rodents was minimal.  The coach was usually plugged in when in the garage and basically ready to go.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #8
I am lucky in that I can keep mine in the side yard despite HOA depredations.  I'd prefer housing it in a garage/barn but that would be crossing way too many HOA lines.  When unused it sits under an ADCO cover,  which historically has run about $100/ year.  A $200 one lasted 2 years, $300 one,  three years.  Covered spots go for about $200/month with a waiting list longer than the average TT life span.  As to storage costs, YMMV.
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #9
I am able to get covered storage in Boise for $65.   I'm sure the owner of the facility will wake up soon and realize his prices are too low for this market.   Real estate prices are rising steeply here and covered storage will follow.    Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #10
I kept our previous Motorhome garaged for the 20 years we owned it and it looked as good as the day we bought it. Our new to us Lazy Daze lives in the same garage. Any time one can keep them inside it increases their life span greatly. I have a special arrangement so our monthly fees are waived but inside storage in our area is about $ 110.00 a month for nonheated space. Of course there is a waiting list.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #11
My rig is parked on a pad, immediately next to my house, where I know it is secure and always available for use or maintenance. It will accommodate a visiting guest this very week.  ;)

Our LD has been outside, in the driveway, for going on 17 years. It a comfort to have sitting it outside in case of a bad storm or earthquake.
It also serves as a guest room, storage room and the occasional man cave.
I tried covering it when it was new and was almost blown off the top when a gust of wind came up at the wrong time.
Decided it was better to let the paint be exposed to the elements than to die falling off.
Parking on site has saved us enough money to have it painted several times. $400 a month, for local covered storage, adds up fast.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
'Baxter' sits outside next to my home.   She gets a fair amount of wind rain and snow but .....
I get peace of mind.   I can clean, wax, tinker, and just plain laz about at will.   In my ever so humble opinion using and enjoying an object is better then saving it for somebody else to enjoy.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #13
Have kept my LD covered with an ADCO cover since day 1. One great benefit not mentioned is a cover keeps your vehicle clean much longer. I can go months without having to wash it. Imo, washing an RV is a bigger inconvenience and time consumer than covering it.

Reply #14
My LD sits in storage during the Summer as I am presently just a Snowbird. New facility with power for battery, lights and concrete floor. Big lot outside door to work on rig and load and unload. $1500/year or $150/month. When I purchased my unit it had been in outdoor covered storage. Before that stored where one side of the rig got a bit exposed and faded. Now its all washed and waxed but still one side is faded. Not big into cars, my truck is 1988 Chevy, car 2005 Subaru. Never crossed my mind to garage them:)
2005 RK

Reply #15
I’d love to have covered storage for my TK, which we picked up new in March of ‘07, but, as Larry mentioned, that is cost prohibitive here in L.A. even if you can find it. We can’t store at home, and the closest open storage is about 18 miles away. No wash facility, no servicing allowed. The SoCal sun has weathered the driver’s side front half (the rear on that side is shaded a bit by an adjacent trailer). The passenger side and rear look new. I didn’t cover it because I wanted to drive it (16 mile loop) no less than every two weeks, and the thought of wrestling a cover on and off that often was a no-go. Plus, I use the solar to keep the house batteries charged. It’s pretty sobering to think about nearly 13 years of storage fees. I roughly calculate it’s $26K so far, and my monthly just went up from $178 to $200. I envy all the home-parkers.  I’d like to have that dough now to repaint!  — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #16
"It's pretty sobering to think about nearly 13 years of storage fees. I roughly calculate it's $26K so far, and my monthly just went up from $178 to $200. I envy all the home-parkers."
---
 :o  Sobering, indeed, Jon, and, candidly, if I hadn't been able to keep the (tent trailer and the Dolphin and the) LD in the space next to the house  behind a fence, I would have opted for (my alternate choice of) a Sportsmobile that I could park in the driveway instead of ordering the Lazy Daze 16 years ago. Indoor storage fees are (and always have been, AFAIK) as high in the Bay Area as in the L.A. area, places are just as difficult to find, and there are always waiting lists. I realize that I'm very lucky to be able to have unlimited, anytime access to my rig simply by walking out the garage door.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17
Covered storage is something I mull over from time to time. Although I have the ability to park it at my home uncovered, covered storage would be preferred since we get winter snow and ice, very strong winds, etc. at our location.  We do have a place in town that offers covered storage w/electrical for $159/mo. and I have gotten on their list in case I decide to go that route. If prices never increase (unlikely) ten years of storage would cost $19,000.

Another thought is to take that $19,000 and put it towards building an RV garage at home (roughly estimated @ $50K) which would increase our home value. Not sure if it's worth it though so still thinking about it . . .
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #18
Here in the southeast, I keep our LD covered to keep the roof away from the stuff that falls from trees.  Right now it's leaves, acorns, and beachnuts.  Sometimes it's sap and other tree droppings.  The cover makes it so much easier to keep the roof relatively clean.   

I get 3-4 years out of an Adco cover.  My current cover has small holes and rips all over it but I think I can get another season before I have to replace it.

Covered storage means either renting a space offsite or building a shelter.  Renting involves a monthly cost and dealing with the risk of theft or other problems.  Building something in my neighborhood involves a real garage that would easily cost more than the RV is worth.  I would probably build a pole barn or something if I lived in an area that allowed them. 

We very strongly prefer having the RV parked at the house.  It makes it so much easier to keep and eye on things and we use it more frequently because it is convenient. 

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #19
We have kept ours in a warehouse storage specializing in boats and RV's since we bought it.......the services they offer are important to us so we justify the price...at least while I'm working.......with retirement coming we'll see if I change my approach...my perfect scenario would be to have an RV garage attached or next to our home......so if my better half ever agrees to sell the home for a move somewhere else that allows (pricing, etc.) for an RV sized garage, I'd be all over it.....
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #20
Living in a rural area of San Diego County I have kept my LD covered for all 11 years.  Though it is not an easy task to put back on (removing is easier and faster), they have done a wonderful job of protecting the paint and plastic (still get complements on its looks). If I could I would build a fully enclosed RV garage (and hoping in my next house when I downsize I "upsize" the garage). This is because of the problems I have had throughout the years with rodents setting up house in the engine compartment causing extensive/expensive damage (3 times in the LD, once in the toad), despite trying every trick in the book and being as vigilant as can be. Finally I built a skirt out of sheet metal and 2X4s that has so far seemingly solved the problem (for the last 2 1/2 years).
My first 2 cheap covers (about $200) disintegrated in the harsh SoCal sun within 2 years. I then bought a Carver Cover for 3X the price. Known for their excellent boat covers, I can say this RV cover has held up extremely well for the last 5+ years and seems to have plenty of life left.

Mike Liner
24' '08 FL towing Subaru Forester
2008 FL

Reply #21
problems I have had throughout the years with rodents setting up house in the engine compartment causing extensive/expensive damage (3 times in the LD, once in the toad), despite trying every trick in the book and being as vigilant as can be. Finally I built a skirt out of sheet metal and 2X4s that has so far seemingly solved the problem (for the last 2 1/2 years).

Great food for thought for us - we've been having problem with a fluffy gray bunny who likes to eat the wires under our cars.