Skip to main content
Topic: Future RV (Read 199 times) previous topic - next topic
Future RV
Recently we had a thread about what the 'young' want in an RV.   Between you and me this is what I'd love to have ....

Hymer Galileo concept imagines self-driving camper pods

glen

ps Having worked for a German company vision is what they have and they have the money to do it.
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: Future RV
Reply #1
Recently we had a thread about what the 'young' want in an RV.  Between you and me this is what I'd love to have ....
Hymer Galileo concept imagines self-driving camper pods

In a few more years, a lot of us would appreciate a self-driving RV.
With a self-driving RV, travel could be cruise ship-like, waking up in a different place every morning..
Now if the self-driving part could also cook and wash dishes, it would be perfect.
Let me know when I can order one.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Looks as if it has about four inches of ground clearance. That's going to limit camping to KOAs and Walmarts.

Also: "Each camper is powered by an electric skateboard chassis"

Seriously, or is this a translation error?
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Self-driving vehicles of any size, let alone a 7 ton RV, scares the bejesus out of me.  It's one thing for an AI computer to navigate, obey traffic laws, judge speed and distance of other vehicles, etc.  But what about the driver that's spotted on the cellphone and not paying attention?  Or the pot-head that you see puffing away while behind the wheel.  Or the children playing with a ball that could get loose?  There are hundreds of scenarios that we as experienced drivers have learned to look for.  I have no confidence that a computer can be trained look into the human mind and anticipate all possible illogical actions.  Additionally, the idea of plotting a predefined route for an autonomous driving machine to follow is not very appealing to me.  I would miss the spontaneity of choosing where I want to go at a moments notice.  Now a machine that would do all the cooking and cleaning... that would be OK.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #4
Looks as if it has about four inches of ground clearance. That's going to limit camping to KOAs and Walmarts.

Also: "Each camper is powered by an electric skateboard chassis"

Seriously, or is this a translation error?
There was a photo of the “skateboard” chassis. It was a full sized chassis resembling a skateboard (sorta) onto which they would drop various bodies. — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄