Skip to main content
Topic: Electric bikes (Ebikes) (Read 5807 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: Electric bikes (Ebikes)
Reply #100
How much power does one need on an e-bike?

An elite bicyclist produces about 400W with short bursts to 1000W.
Human power - Wikipedia

If a person wants an e-bike to do some, but not all of the work, it seems like a motor with 500W might be overkill.  If a person wants the motor do all of the work and ride like a little electric motorcycle, 500W to 1000W should still be plenty.

I like my bicycles to be bicycles and I don't pedal my motorcycle.  The e-bike is a bit of a soup sandwich.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #101
I borrowed Bob Lawhon's Rad Mini at Quartzite 2018 and it fit nicely into my 2011 Honda CRV with the back seats folded.
One may be in a really big stocking this year.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #102
That is interesting.  I also borrowed it at Q2018.  That is what started us thinking about the e-bikes.
Bob was very generous in letting us try his bike.
Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #103
ABOUT THOSE E-BIKES . . .

I just watched a favorite YouTuber.  This week's subject is their RAD e-bikes.  It is about 20 minutes long, and goes into a fair amount of detail about e-bikes and how they can be a useful asset to RV'ing pleasure.

For those of you who have 21 minutes of your life to spare, and wish to know more, you can engage here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5zpSXvaz0&feature=em-uploademail

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #104
Very nice.   Have to say after coming from many years as a hard core mountain biker, which is behind me now that I'm getting along in  years,  these bikes look like a lot of fun.  Thanks for sharing.  I'll be in the market for a new bike next year and sure will take a good look at the ebike option.

Bob
2006 RK

Reply #105
Judie,
thanks for sharing the video.  She made a nice video with lots of good information.  Cyndy is looking at the area for a future trip.
Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #106
I have a hard time with labeling these thinks as bicycles. When I was a kid we'd go to Borrego Springs to ride  motorcycles and minibikes and one friend of mind had a mo-ped that was pedal assist but basically a motorcycle and he kept up with all of us.  Call a spade a spade here. It's a freaking electric motorcycle not a bicycle. Lots of fun I'm sure but  NOT A BICYCLE! Had to be said. I could hold my tongue no longer.  :)
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #107
It's a freaking electric motorcycle not a bicycle. Lots of fun I'm sure but  NOT A BICYCLE! Had to be said. I could hold my tongue no longer.  :)

But you can still use the pedals to move without turning on the assist (even remove the battery and still ride). :-)

Admittedly, for me, unless I'm on level ground, it's difficult because of the bike's weight.
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #108
Well, after this discussion and our test ride that I described in a previous post, I pulled the trigger last night and bought an e-bike for Cyndy.  Merry Christmas.

I decided on a Rip Current Fat bike by Juiced Bicycle .  750W hub motor, 52V, torque sensing pedal assist, 4 inch wide tires, hydraulic disk brakes, and Wall-Mart quality front shocks .  750W is about 1 hp. When she test rode it on Friday she had a big smile as she ripped around the parking lot and rode up a few steep side streets. Happy wife-happy life.

Sawyer isn't far off the mark.  This bike is pretty close to a motorcycle.  I think she is going to have a ball.
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #109
Maybe call them a hybrid?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #110
Well, after this discussion and our test ride that I described in a previous post, I pulled the trigger last night and bought an e-bike for Cyndy.  Merry Christmas.

I decided on a Rip Current Fat bike by Juiced Bicycle .  750W hub motor, 52V, torque sensing pedal assist, 4 inch wide tires, hydraulic disk brakes, and Wall-Mart quality front shocks .  750W is about 1 hp. When she test rode it on Friday she had a big smile as she ripped around the parking lot and rode up a few steep side streets. Happy wife-happy life.

Sawyer isn't far off the mark.  This bike is pretty close to a motorcycle.  I think she is going to have a ball.

I'm sure they are great fun and I actually think they look pretty cool and are a good technology. I just have a purists view of bicycles and am probably a bit anal about it. Bicycles are 100% powered by the person astride them. On a bicycle you pedal up steep hills in granny gear not any faster than you could walk and if it's a long steep hill it hurts. Your lungs burst, your heart pounds, your quads scream in protest and sweat pours off you like a horse and ultimately if the hills too long and too steep you get off and push. Thats a bicycle. An E bike is something else entirely.
Rant over and thanks for your patience. LOL
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #111
It's a freaking electric motorcycle not a bicycle. Lots of fun I'm sure but  NOT A BICYCLE! Had to be said. I could hold my tongue no longer.  :)

Yes, the 'bike' Blueox rode isn't a legal e-bike, it is an electric motorcycle.  If ridden on the street, technically, it should be licensed and used by someone with a motorcycle license . None of the Class 1, 2 & 3 e-bikes will pull a wheelie.
With its very high power output and possible high speeds, it does not qualify for any of the three legal e-bike classes.
If you research deeper, you will find many who've done such conversions to lightweight bikes and been successful but some have discovered that the bike frames can break when subjected to more torque that what they were designed for.
There is a reason why all purposed designed and built e-bikes, including the most expensive german e-bikes, weigh much more than conventional bikes, even when the weight of the motor and battery is subtracted.
As Hall pointed out, a strong rider can produce up to 1000-watts of power and the bike ridden is designed for this stress. Adding a 1500-watt motor and controller can be subject the frame to 2-1/2 times the torque that a strong rider can produce, not to mention the extra weight of the e-bike kit....ride at your own risk.
The danger is even greater for aluminum frames which usually fail catastrophically, with no warning. I would be cautious to repeatedly hammer one of these bikes down steep trails at speed, frame breakage can get ugly fast.

Some other problems with e-bikes and RVs that need to be considered. How do you plan on carrying your new e-bike{s]?
They are very heavy and need to be lifted onto a rack or into a vehicle.  What type rack is going to be used and how will it effect towing, if you do?
A rack that stores the bikes across the rear of the RV will block access to either a tow ball or an RV-mounted tow bar.
Our LD's two-bike rack has been lifted as high as practical and still interferes with easily connecting the Jeep's conventional tow bar, that stays on the Jeep and uses a 2" tow ball.
With tow bars that stay on the RV, it's probably not possible to swing the bars up and into the stow position.

While some bike racks that have  'u' shaped trays for the wheels could be used with a ramp of some sort, most e-bikes racks drop the wheels into baskets that do not allow using a ramp, requiring the total weight of the bike to be picked up and dropped in the baskets, dead lifting 60+lbs is a strain or not possible for most older users.
If you op for a folding e-bike, so it can be stored in the rear of a Jeep or other vehicle, the same heavy lifting is necessary.
Things to think about.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #112
I have a hard time with labeling these thin[g]s .  .  .
We can say that about  a lot of things that have changed since we were young and foolish
 ;)
Are you snowed in yet Sawyer?
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #113
I can still deadlift 40 pounds or a bit more, depending on the ‘configuration’ of what I’m trying to heft, but, as one of the ‘olders’ that Larry refers to, getting a 60-pound bike on and off a rack is, regrettably, not do-able.  ☹️
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #114
We can say that about  a lot of things that have changed since we were young and foolish
 ;)
Are you snowed in yet Sawyer?
Joel

Now I'm old and foolish.
No snow here yet. Looks like California is getting it all. My brother in Ridgecrest even got snow.

Reply #115
We test rode the Rad Folding Mini with our friends and liked lots of things about it.  However, it is still 68lb.  When folded it is a smaller package, but still a hefty load to lift and store.  The thought of lifting it and bending over to place it into the back of the Jeep made my back hurt just at the thought.  Since the smallest folded dimension is wider than the door opening on the Lazy Daze, it would have to ride on the rack.  We ended up with a 26 inch wheel bike that will ride on the rack.

Being married to a younger woman, I am confident that she can put the bike on the rack when I get more feeble.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #116
"Being married to a younger woman, I am confident that she can put the bike on the rack when I get more feeble."

Look at it this way... a younger wife can give you more children, far into your senior life, and they can lift those bikes for sure!   ;)   8)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #117
I wrote a review about the Hollywood TRS (about $330 when I reviewed it) 2-bike hitch rack we are using on our TK to carry the e-bike and my regular bike. Here's a link:
Hollywood Racks TRS Rack & Rack Valet - Road Bike Rider Cycling Resource Guide

It does take more effort to get the e-bike on the rack because the battery and motor add so much weight. I've seen a few racks with ramps for helping to roll the bike up onto the tray it sits on. You could make your own ramp out of a piece of PVC tubing cut lengthwise I bet. That piece of PVC could be bunjied onto the rack maybe for easy storage.

If there's 2 of you working together you should be able to get the bike on the rack without too much trouble. That's how we do it.

Regarding theft, the safest approach is to remove the bikes from the rack and put them inside the LD anytime you're not around to watch the bikes. Locking them to the rack just means they stay safe from honest people. Thieves have no trouble with locks. But they are a lot more likely to steal bikes off of racks than they are to break into your LD to get them - if they even see that they're inside the RV.

I'm talking about driving around more than while in campgrounds. Though, there are thieves in campgrounds, too, I know - witness generator thefts.

If you read the review you'll see an accessory that Hollywood makes called the Rack Valet. That's one of my favorite bike products ever. It's a small cart for holding the rack that allows you to roll the rack out to your LD so you don't have to lift and carry the rack out. Also, the rack can be parked in the Valet making it easy to move out of the way in the garage when the racks stored and no on the RV. It should work with all brands/types of hitch racks.

Hope this is helpful,
Jim & Deb
Santa Cruz, California

The estimated (lifespan 3-4 years) and the cost of new batteries (@$1000) pretty much puts the bike thing out of my reach.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #118
High quality LiPO battery packs with Samsung, LG, or Panasonic cells can be purchased for between $250 and about $800.

18650 Ebike Battery Packs

I agree that they are expensive, but the price continues to fall and the voltage and capacity improves.  Interestingly, my resourceful but frugal Canadian cousin made his own battery pack at a significant savings.  It isn't pretty, but he has been using it without problems for nearly daily commuting in the hilly Nanaimo area since 2015.
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #119
After weeks of researching, obsessing, and consulting Jim, our forum bicycle expert, I decided to pull the trigger on electric bikes.  Actually, Cyndy and I bought one for each other for Christmas.

This is really about Cyndy.  She has completed numerous metric centuries on her recumbent road bike, but isn't comfortable on trails and especially dislikes sand, gravel, and moderately challenging terrain.  When we take our bicycles in the Lazy Daze, I am inclined to look for trails to ride, as many back roads don't provide much shoulder for safe bicycling.  She is less comfortable on trails.  Thus the dilemma.

We settled on two Juiced Bikes Rip Current models.  They are very similar to the Rad Bikes Rover with 26X4.0 inch fat tires and hub drive motors.  I liked the Juiced Bikes for the 52V batteries, hydraulic disk brakes, 9 speed Shimano casettes, and a torque sensor to smooth the power delivery.  I also like the fact that their headquarters is 35 miles from my home, so if I have a problem, I can toss the bike in the truck and show up on their doorstep.  We bought the bikes during the Black Friday period, so the $300 discounted price was attractive.  Unlike the Rad Rover which offers a one-size-fits-all (too big for her and too small for me), Juiced offers the bike in a medium frame for Cyndy and an extra large frame for me.  It is more fun riding a bike that fits.

RipCurrent - Fat Tire Electric Bike - Juiced Bikes

Cyndy has now been joining me on the dirt trail circuit that I do on my evening mountain bike. She has learned to climb over curbs, exposed roots, and erosion control barriers in the trail, ride through deep sand and gravel, and conquer steeper inclines. She keeps the PAS level set at the minimum that she needs to keep going so she still gets a workout at the end of an hour or so.  The fat tires provide so much traction that she has gotten quite brave in sand, gravel, and loose rocks on inclines. Tonight I asked her how she felt after she crossed a section of deep sand and she said "This thing makes it easy."  That is a win.

I sold a couple of the other bikes in the garage (her mountain bike) to gain a little space and offset the cost.  Next is to modify or sell the bike rack so we can figure out how to bring these on our Lazy Daze trips. They weigh a honking 70lb. apiece, which is staggering for a bicycle.  (The Rad Rover is 68lb.) The battery alone weighs 12lb. and each of the 4 inch tires weigh about 2.5lb. The battery should be removed when the bike is in the rack, but the bike still weighs nearly 60lb on the rack, which is beyond the capacity of our Hollywood rack.  On the plus side, Cyndy has discovered that the weight transmits into momentum on the trail and combined with the fat tires, the thing just plows over obstacles. These things are keepers. 

Money's all spent.  The kids can fend for themselves.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #120
After weeks of researching, obsessing, and consulting Jim, our forum bicycle expert, I decided to pull the trigger on electric bikes.  Actually, Cyndy and I bought one for each other for Christmas.

This is really about Cyndy.  She has completed numerous metric centuries on her recumbent road bike, but isn't comfortable on trails and especially dislikes sand, gravel, and moderately challenging terrain.  When we take our bicycles in the Lazy Daze, I am inclined to look for trails to ride, as many back roads don't provide much shoulder for safe bicycling.  She is less comfortable on trails.  Thus the dilemma.

We settled on two Juiced Bikes Rip Current models.  They are very similar to the Rad Bikes Rover with 26X4.0 inch fat tires and hub drive motors.  I liked the Juiced Bikes for the 52V batteries, hydraulic disk brakes, 9 speed Shimano casettes, and a torque sensor to smooth the power delivery.  I also like the fact that their headquarters is 35 miles from my home, so if I have a problem, I can toss the bike in the truck and show up on their doorstep.  We bought the bikes during the Black Friday period, so the $300 discounted price was attractive.  Unlike the Rad Rover which offers a one-size-fits-all (too big for her and too small for me), Juiced offers the bike in a medium frame for Cyndy and an extra large frame for me.  It is more fun riding a bike that fits.

RipCurrent - Fat Tire Electric Bike - Juiced Bikes

Cyndy has now been joining me on the dirt trail circuit that I do on my evening mountain bike. She has learned to climb over curbs, exposed roots, and erosion control barriers in the trail, ride through deep sand and gravel, and conquer steeper inclines. She keeps the PAS level set at the minimum that she needs to keep going so she still gets a workout at the end of an hour or so.  The fat tires provide so much traction that she has gotten quite brave in sand, gravel, and loose rocks on inclines. Tonight I asked her how she felt after she crossed a section of deep sand and she said "This thing makes it easy."  That is a win.

I sold a couple of the other bikes in the garage (her mountain bike) to gain a little space and offset the cost.  Next is to modify or sell the bike rack so we can figure out how to bring these on our Lazy Daze trips. They weigh a honking 70lb. apiece, which is staggering for a bicycle.  (The Rad Rover is 68lb.) The battery alone weighs 12lb. and each of the 4 inch tires weigh about 2.5lb. The battery should be removed when the bike is in the rack, but the bike still weighs nearly 60lb on the rack, which is beyond the capacity of our Hollywood rack.  On the plus side, Cyndy has discovered that the weight transmits into momentum on the trail and combined with the fat tires, the thing just plows over obstacles. These things are keepers. 

Money's all spent.  The kids can fend for themselves.

Harold
Post merged with existing thread.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #121
Next is to modify or sell the bike rack so we can figure out how to bring these on our Lazy Daze trips. They weigh a honking 70lb. apiece, which is staggering for a bicycle.  (The Rad Rover is 68lb.) The battery alone weighs 12lb. and each of the 4 inch tires weigh about 2.5lb. The battery should be removed when the bike is in the rack, but the bike still weighs nearly 60lb on the rack, which is beyond the capacity of our Hollywood rack.  On the plus side,

Carrying the electric bikes has turned out to be a bigger hassle than expected, the rack is high off the ground and requires a serious grunt to lift the two 60-lb bikes into their wheel cradles. Even with the rack raised as high as possible, it interferes with hooking up the toad or a trailer.
Since you pull either a Jeep a trailer, take this into consideration when figuring out how the bikes will be carried .
If using a hitch mounted towbar, you will not be able to lift the arms straight up for folding and storing, another way to secure the arms, when not towing, will need to found.
Our Jeeps use folding towbars that require some contortions to connect or disconnect, crawling under the rack is not easy specially when the weather is bad, yesterday I had to hook up in downpour, not a pleasant experience.

I'm considering switching to vertical rack, to clear the hitch and towbar but this still will not cure the heavy lifting issue unless some type of assist is used. I want to be able to use it on the Jeeps too.
Stay tuned.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #122

I'm considering switching to vertical rack, to clear the hitch and towbar but this still will not cure the heavy lifting issue unless some type of assist is used. I want to be able to use it on the Jeeps too.
Stay tuned.

Larry
There is a swing-away system that may work for you. It's pricey but would help with your access to the tow bar issue (though not with the weight of the bikes).

Kuat Swing Away Extension
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #123
While at the Home Depot this afternoon, I saw a big expedition vehicle from another state with a vertical bicycle rack on the rear.  I hadn't seen one before, so I checked it out.  Here it is:

Talon Rack - 1 Bike – SeaSucker

It probably won't hold a 60lb. bicycle, but it is an interesting idea.
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #124
Harold, thanks for the information specifically about a recumbent bike on trails. 
That information is of great interest to me and I will PM some questions.
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.