Skip to main content
Topic: Water leak (Read 1881 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: Water leak
Reply #100
Luckily, flushing the fresh water tank isn't something you need ever do as long as you use your LD often and never let water sit for long periods.
If it is parked for a while, make sure to add a little bleach or chlorine to the tank to prevent any little beasties from growing or just pump it out occasionally and refill with fresh, chlorinated water.
We use our LD often and I can't remember the last time the tank was drained or 'sanitized', we have never experience a problem with water tasting or smelling funny YMMV.. 
The lack of a drain would be a bigger problem if you lived in a climate that requires winterizing, I think you are safe down in San Diego County.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #101
Luckily, flushing the fresh water tank isn't something you need ever do as long as you use your LD often and never let water sit for long periods.
If it is parked for a while, make sure to add a little bleach or chlorine to the tank to prevent any little beasties from growing or just pump it out occasionally and refill with fresh, chlorinated water.
We use our LD often and I can't remember the last time the tank was drained or 'sanitized', we have never experience a problem with water tasting or smelling funny YMMV.. 
The lack of a drain would be a bigger problem if you lived in a climate that requires winterizing, I think you are safe down in San Diego County.

Larry
Yes we use ours a lot.
Similar experience as you with draining in that I can't remember the last time I drained it either.
Thanks Larry
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #102
As a fulltimer, I am with Larry.  In 11 years, I have never dumped and flushed my fresh water tank.  BUT - what if you went somewhere and filled with water and found it to be cloudy looking and/or it did not taste good?  You would want to dump and sanitize, right?  I consider that option to be important.

You have a PVC pipe from the tank now.  You can put a PVC valve on that pipe now or you could leave the cap on and carry a PVC valve and cement "just in case".  Then, if you find yourself needing to dump the tank, you could take a hacksaw and cut off the cap, dump, wipe it clean and dry, glue on the valve, and be ready to sanitize in minutes.

With you having glued the cap in place I see no need to change it at this moment, but I would carry what I needed to be able to drain and close that tank in the future, if needed.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #103
As a fulltimer, I am with Larry.  In 11 years, I have never dumped and flushed my fresh water tank.  BUT - what if you went somewhere and filled with water and found it to be cloudy looking and/or it did not taste good?  You would want to dump and sanitize, right?  I consider that option to be important.

You have a PVC pipe from the tank now.  You can put a PVC valve on that pipe now or you could leave the cap on and carry a PVC valve and cement "just in case".  Then, if you find yourself needing to dump the tank, you could take a hacksaw and cut off the cap, dump, wipe it clean and dry, glue on the valve, and be ready to sanitize in minutes.

With you having glued the cap in place I see no need to change it at this moment, but I would carry what I needed to be able to drain and close that tank in the future, if needed.

Ken F in NM
If we used the tank for drinking and cooking I would have approached it different for sure.
Thanks Ken good point.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #104

I noticed another had a tank leak.
I wanted to update.

I removed the PVC pipe and installed a much cleaner solution.
I placed the hose clamp around the tank fitting and tightened it. There was just enough room.
This held the fitting's crack together as I cranked a rubber plug directly into the fitting. I ordered a few plugs just in case but it is holding like a champ!

RUBBER PLUG

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #105
"...I cranked a rubber plug directly into the fitting."

So that's where my wine bottle plug went!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #106
Those plugs are great - meant to keep sewer smells away while the pipe is open during remodeling.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.