Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 MB: Strange Noises-Rear Axle Hum- Pinion Bearing (Read 3752 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: 2017 MB: Strange Noises-Rear Axle Hum- Pinion Bearing
Reply #100
Sounds familiar ... Ford Service Centers !  The one that is 15 miles away, said they could work on it.  After diagnosing the rear noise problem, "sorry, we can't fit it on our lift in the  shop, here's two we recommend. First one is 20 miles, a heavy truck center, "sorry, no motor homes, maybe take it to a RV dealer".  The one that ultimately replaced the ring and pinion was about 60 miles away.  Total hassle doing anything but routine maintenance on these chassis around here.

Same here in the Denver metro area. The major Ford dealer, after I had gone there for years, ruled no motorhomes over x feet. The oil change place after many years said no motorhomes. Why? They scrape the driveway when they leave. Give me a break. Just found a Les Schwab, which is new to the metro and near my storage unit, which will take me. I know, I could do it myself, but...

Chris

Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #101
. Here"s the additive they put in.  Trans X Posi-Trac Additive. I hope this helps.

Trans X Posi-Trac Additive is a friction modifier that is only used in limited-slip axles, something none of our LDs have.
The additive prevents the limited-slip's clutch plates from chattering and making noise. While it will not hurt anything, it is not intended for use in your LD's open rear axle. This isn't a fix, and it will not get better with time, it's a temporary cover-up, I'm surprised the additive made any difference at all.

As I mentioned before, axle differentials can sometimes make humming noises their entire service lives without affecting durability. The differential gears are machined as matched sets, if the gears are set up a bit off, they will make noise forever but not affect the useful life span.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #102
Interesting, I wondered.

Lynn
2017 Mid Bath

Reply #103
Ford put in the wrong rear end fluid. They put in 75w140, my owners manual says 75w90. Should I change it again?
What do you think?

Lynn
2017 Mid Bath

Reply #104
Ford put in the wrong rear end fluid. They put in 75w140, my owners manual says 75w90. Should I change it again?
What do you think?

Ford recommends SAE 75W-140 synthetic gear lube for E450s that tow. It can be safely run in rigs that do not tow.

Larry
Larry

Reply #105
Thanks Larry

Lynn
2017 Mid Bath

Reply #106
And now this.......

So I took my LD to a Ford service center about 30 miles away hoping that any repair to fix the humming/vibration noise would be covered under warranty.  They determined that the cause was in the tail shaft at the rear of the transmission and it would be fixed under warranty.  They are waiting for parts.  While the technician was lowering the LD on the hoist, he hit the corner of the overhead cab area on something and scuffed it enough that it looks like the whole cab area will need to be replaced.  See attached picture.  Wonderful.  
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #107
Ouch!  :(  You might want to take close-up photos of the damage and send them to Todd at the factory for an assessment of the best way to repair the damages. It's difficult to tell from the one photo, but it looks like the ABS "wrap" piece took the hit, and I believe that this can be replaced. However (JMHO), I wouldn't try any "repairs" without consulting LD.

(And, obviously, the shop is going to pay for their careless screw-up, right?)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #108
Ouch!  :(  You might want to take close-up photos of the damage and send them to Todd at the factory for an assessment of the best way to repair the damages. It's difficult to tell from the one photo, but it looks like the ABS "wrap" piece took the hit, and I believe that this can be replaced. However (JMHO), I wouldn't try any "repairs" without consulting LD.

(And, obviously, the shop is going to pay for their careless screw-up, right?)

Yes, I will be contacting Todd and yes, the Ford service repair center will pay for any repair.
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #109
Glenn,

My experience with Mothership repairs has been nothing short of miraculous.

I had snagged our LD coach door on a trailer hitch at U-Haul after only a short time of ownership, Vince was able to completely remove any evidence of my novice ownership.

Vince also replaced a cracked end cap that had developed after returning home from Zion. You’d never know he’d had his hands on it or the cracked end cap ever existed.

Trust your Mothership. She will make all your boo-boo’s go away.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #110
Glenn,

My experience with Mothership repairs has been nothing short of miraculous.

I had snagged our LD coach door on a trailer hitch at U-Haul after only a short time of ownership, Vince was able to completely remove any evidence of my novice ownership.

Vince also replaced a cracked end cap that had developed after returning home from Zion. You’d never know he’d had his hands on it or the cracked end cap ever existed.

Trust your Mothership. She will make all your boo-boo’s go away.

Kent

Kent,

I agree.  The problem has always been that the Mothership is in California and I'm in Michigan.
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #111
And now this.......
he hit the corner of the overhead cab area on something and scuffed it enough that it looks like the whole cab area will need to be replaced.  See attached picture.  Wonderful.

Does the cap have damage beyond the costmetic? Are there rips or cracks?
If just cosmetic, and no structural damage is present, instead of driving cross country to have Mothership keep your LD for a couple of weeks, or more, consider finding a good, local automotive paInt shop.
LD should be able to provide brand name and color of the paint, even a new decal, if it needs painting.

Larry
Larry

Reply #112
Does the cap have damage beyond the costmetic? Are there rips or cracks?
If just cosmetic, and no structural damage is present, instead of driving cross country to have Mothership keep your LD for a couple of weeks, or more, consider finding a good, local automotive paInt shop.
LD should be able to provide brand name and color of the paint, even a new decal, if it needs painting.

Larry

I don't know the extent of the damage.  All I have is the picture the Service Manager texted me.  There's a body shop I used for two previous repairing/patching/painting "Boo Boo's".  They did a great job.  Michigan is opening their state park campgrounds this Monday.  We had made a two-week reservation 6 months ago.  I'll be picking up the LD tomorrow or Friday from the Ford center (hopefully).  The body shop manager said to stop by and he'll write up an estimate (the Ford service place will pay for the repair) and he'll put a patch or something over the scruff to keep out any water during our trip.  When I return, he'll do a complete repair. 
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #113
So, here's the final ending to the humming/vibration noise I've been having between 65-70mph.

They removed and inspected the drive shaft for any possible worn or damaged parts.  They found that the center bearing and all U-joints move freely  with no evidence of binding or rough movement.  With the drive shaft removed, they ran the engine to 65-70mph and still heard the noise and vibration.  They used a stethoscope and pinpointed the noise to the rear of the transmission. 

They drained the transmission and the fluid was clean and red.  They removed the pan and inspected for any metal shavings - none found.  They contacted the Ford Hot Line and were advised to inspect motor mounts and transmission mounts for excessive wear or damage - none found.  The Ford Hot Line said that the transmission be removed, disassembled, and inspected.  During inspection, they found that the torque converter studs had flattened and damaged threads.  Also found that the output shaft showed signs of light scoring from bearings.    They replaced both the output shaft bearings and assembly.  They also replaced the torque converter and front seal pump.

They reinstalled the transmission and test drove.  They can still hear the humming (they called it droning) noise between 65-70mph but was not able to feel any vibration.  They theorized it could be exhaust drone.  So after going to four different service places, this is the last stop.  I guess if I'm concerned or annoyed enough, I'll just stay under 65 mph.

Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #114
Glenn, you've done all you can do. The additive that was put in my rear axle eliminated my hum. I'm not sure but I thought there was still some vibration, I'll have to drive it more. I only drive 55-60 mph so I'll run it till it quits. I turned 72000 miles this week and it runs good. You've been through a lot, you need to start enjoying your LD. Good Luck

Lynn
2017 Mid Bath

Reply #115
Glenn, is your vibration gone? My noise stopped but still have vibration. My guess is the torque converter is making the vibration.

Lynn
2017 Mid Bath

Reply #116
Glenn, is your vibration gone? My noise stopped but still have vibration. My guess is the torque converter is making the vibration.

Lynn

Vibration is gone bit noise remains.
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #117
Thanks Glenn. My hum is gone but still have the vibration.

Lynn
2017 Mid Bath

Reply #118
Hi Glenn,

I was wondering how badly your cabover was damaged at the Ford dealer? Your initial comment (without seeing it in person) was you thought the cabover might need replacement. I hope it was just a scuff.

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #119
Hi Glenn,

I was wondering how badly your cabover was damaged at the Ford dealer? Your initial comment (without seeing it in person) was you thought the cabover might need replacement. I hope it was just a scuff.

Steve K

It was a scuff.  But the quote to repair it is $3,500.
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #120
Glenn, "scuff" sounds much better than your original thought that the cabover might need replacement. I suspect these kinds of situations are why a lot of dealers don't like working on motorhomes.

Thanks for the reply,
Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #121
"scuff" sounds much better than your original thought that the cabover might need replacement. I suspect these kinds of situations are why a lot of dealers don't like working on motorhomes.

Most shops do not like working on RVs because of the unforeseen problems that can arise.
A few months ago, a friend on California's central coast recommended his local shop to a friend who needed work.
While the rig was being worked, a mechanic folded one of the Velvac mirrors and the mirror arm broke, a common defect in the Velvac mirrors used by LD in the 2000s. The shop has to pay for the replacement, a cost of around $300.
This shop now will no longer work on any RV.

Larry

Larry