Skip to main content
Topic: Do I need fuel stabilizer? (Read 177 times) previous topic - next topic
Do I need fuel stabilizer?
I got my RV 5 weeks ago. I have largely been parked but have driven the RV a few times. I have about 2/3rd tank of gas in the RV right now.

I do crank up the RV every week.
1989 TK

Re: Do I need fuel stabilizer?
Reply #1
A stabilizer may be a good idea in a carbureted engine, however I have never seen the need to use it in my 15 yr. old Lazy Daze because of the fuel injection systems that modern vehicles use. Besides, if you are turning over the fuel in the tank on a regular basis I don't think you need worry about old fuel gumming up the works.  ;) 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
I run seafoam , 1 can per 20 gallons during trips ( to help with ethanol problems, injectors,converters etc build up of film like corn oil residue ) and to help keep the generator free of carb issues I add fuel stabilizer and run the generator for an hour or 2 per month if I'm not travelling.
2017 Casita Spirit Deluxe
2016 Twin King 24ft
2017 Casita Independence Dlx
2004 Midbath 26.5

Reply #3
Good point, Franram. Even if the LD doesn’t have a carburetor, the generator (which runs off the LD tank) does.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
Unless the rig is going to be stored for six months or more, a stabilizer isn't necessary.
Running the generator an hour a month is more than enough to keep the carburetor clean and the generator's electrical windings dry.
To keep the fuel system clean, I try to only use a Top Tier gasoline, fuel with a full package of cleaners made for fuel injected engines and to change the fuel filter every 30,000 miles.
Annually, the gas tank is dosed with Chevron Techron, at a ratio of one ounce per gallon of fuel. Costco usually sells a six pack of Techron bottles once  a year.
119,000 miles and 17 years later, the injectors are still running smooth. Stick with a top Tier fuel and try not to use the cheapest fuel available, unless it too is Top Tier. Using the list of Top Tier brands and Gas Buddy, makes it easier to find the right fuel.
Homepage
TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands
https://www.gasbuddy.com

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze