Skip to main content
Topic: Ultra-leather Sofas Over Time??? (Read 376 times) previous topic - next topic
Ultra-leather Sofas Over Time???
Wondering if anyone has experience with the ultra-leather interior option?
Would love to see pictures if someone would be willing to share!

Liking that it can be wiped down and spills won't soak in (great idea for anyone with allergies). But, wondering how much the ultra-leather fabric will stretch/wrinkle/pucker over time?

Here's an example of a little wrinkling from a 2015 Airstream
2018 Mid-Bath Beatrix (bringer of joy)

Re: Ultra-leather Sofas Over Time???
Reply #1
It’s been my observation that most leather and leather-like materials seem to wrinkle over time. We prefer cloth, especially since we’ll be toting a couple cats!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
"...wondering how much the ultra-leather fabric will stretch/wrinkle/pucker over time?"

I can't speak to the 'pucker factor' but in a warm climate don't expect to scoot on Ultra-Leather! In fact, if you are wearing shorts (or nothing at all) it may be necessary to pry your backside loose before you can even move. I run into this at my favorite restaurant several times a week.   :o    ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Steve, I hope you are not wearing “nothing at all” in your favorite restaurant, ha ha!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
"I hope you are not wearing "nothing at all""

Nahhh, those cooks and waitresses are a bunch of prudes! I only sleep in my birthday suit!   :D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
In my 2017 Airstream with Ultraleather upholstery, I see a little wrinkling but not enough to be annoying. It has its pluses and minuses, but overall I like it.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
We prefer cloth, especially since we’ll be toting a couple cats!
We'll be traveling with our "empty nest" pup, a white golden retriever, Miss Ellie.  She loves napping on the leather sofa in the family room at home. And, to say she sheds a little would be quite the understatement - so generally liking the idea of a non-cloth surface.

I gather cats scratching or puncturing the ultra leather would be a problem?

Reply #7
Here's Miss Ellie "reclining"

Reply #8
In my 29017 Airstream with Ultraleather upholstery,I see a little wrinkling but not enough to be annoying. It has its pluses and minuses, but overall I like it.

BTW, I've already got building an "Andy Baird" pantry on our to do list once we get our mid-bath  :D

Reply #9
"I gather cats scratching or puncturing the ultra leather would be a problem?"

Could be a problem, depending upon the cat. Fortunately my two-year-old shorthair, Penny, has done very little damage to the Ultraleather--just a few small punctures when leaping on and off. On the other hand, lately she's taken to artistically shredding the Airstream's curtains, which apparently feel better than the scratching post I provided. I'd be upset about it if I didn't dislike the curtains and plan to replace them anyway. :-)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
One of our cats likes to scratch the carpet at home to the point where it’s totally gone in a couple places, Admittedly, it’s not the best quality in the first place but it’s getting to the point where I’m ready to rip out all the carpeted common areas and replace it with a hard surface but DW likes carpet so we’ll see where that ends up.

Thank goodness LD stopped using carpet in the coach portion of the RV. A scratching post is probably a good idea but not sure how to install one in a MB.

Apologies for getting off-topic to the thread.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
Ultra Fabrics has an Ultraleather line called "Brisa" which has microperfs to create breathability.

BRISA® | ultrafabrics

We had it in our Foretravel and loved it. 

Reply #12
Depends on the cat, what they like in a sticks and bricks home tranfers to the RV (unless they have to take their 2nd or 3rd choices).
Our cats favorite thing to claw up .... I mean scratch... was faux leather.
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.