Skip to main content
Topic: Mid-Bath Bathroom (Read 1083 times) previous topic - next topic
Mid-Bath Bathroom
a few pics of a recent mid-bath
2018 Mid-Bath Beatrix (bringer of joy)

Re: Mid-Bath Bathroom
Reply #1
Wow, that really is a throne, with steps and all.
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #2
"Wow, that really is a throne, with steps and all."

Some folks, particularly those with short legs, find that high seat awkward or even uncomfortable. I raised the floor level by cutting a 1" thick piece of plywood to fit the space and covered it with a scrap of indoor/outdoor carpet using contact cement. Works for me!   :D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Does it come with a crown?  :D

No, but the "elevation" makes for some interesting moments if there's more than one person in the rig and you have to keep the door closed....I'll leave it there......
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #5
"... if there's more than one person in the rig and you have to keep the door closed..."

Keeping the door closed is an awful tribulation for me, the space is so small. I just swing the door 90° so that it blocks the passage and let'er rip!   :D  Vent fan on exhaust please, thank you!  ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #6
Just my opinion: it's very unfortunate that the factory switched from a full-width mirror to a half-sized one, which makes the room feel smaller... and the cheap sheet-metal medicine cabinet that they put on the left side of the smaller mirror not only feels flimsy, but lacks a mirror of its own, a standard feature on most medicine cabinets.

This could have been done so much better--I can think of several examples of older LDs with the full-width mirror that have had mirrored medicine cabinets added by owners, and all of them are superior to LD's implementation.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
"... that have had mirrored medicine cabinets added by owners..."

And I'm one of those owners... my only regret is that I mounted mine with the latch on the right/hinges on the left.
If I had reversed that I could have had the mirrored door swing out to provide double mirrors, sort of a fun-house effect!   :D

But, at the same time it would have been awkward, reaching around the door.   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #8
The first "removal" I did was to take the cheesy medicine cabinet off the wall in the compact bathroom of my TK; the thing was heavy, and, for me, useless because the shelves were so shallow. Every time I opened the door of the thing, stuff that ended up resting against the door due to road shake shot out onto the lid of the toilet or the floor. I replaced it with a wall of wire basket shelving,  suction-cupped soap and toiletries containers to the shower wall, and put all the other "lotions and potions" in a basket stowed in the small cabinet next to the entry door.

This set-up works for me; YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
"...stuff that ended up resting against the door due to road shake shot out onto the lid of the toilet or the floor."

Joan, you are very fortunate, I have no 'lid', only a seat!   :o

It doesn't take a lot of imagination to picture the scene!  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #10
My husband noticed that the medicine cabinet has no latch - has this been a problem for anyone?

Reply #11
   I suspect that something keeps the door closed. An internal magnet catch is the usual.  Are you expecting an external latch?   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #12
"...the medicine cabinet has no latch ..."

Have no knowledge of the factory installed cabinets but the after market one that I installed came with one magnetic catch. After a couple of nasty incidents I added a second catch... since then, no problems!   :'(
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #13
   I suspect that something keeps the door closed. An internal magnet catch is the usual.  Are you expecting an external latch?   RonB
Not sure what DH was expecting to see  :D

Reply #14
Kit, when we picked up our floor model, we had the new style medicine cabinet.  However, we determined along the way home that the medicine cabinet door released and swung open often, thereby battering the mini-blind over the BR window, putting dents and dark streaks along the length of it.  We noted this issue with the Mothership, and although we didn't ask for it, a new mini blind showed up on our door step a few days later.  After the first incident, we reinforced the velcro closures with a few more pieces which now seem to keep the medicine cabinet door closed.  Too bad that there is not a better design for an expensive RV.

Bob
2011 MB

Reply #15
Looks like there are Velcro strips on the photos you posted, Kit.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #16
When I was in the factory in 2014, I noticed that the sheet-metal medicine cabinet's door was only secured by a small Velcro patch. It was hard to believe that it would stay closed while rolling down the road. The whole thing was disappointingly cheesy.
Andy Baird

Reply #17
After I received my new motorhome almost twenty years ago; one of the first things I did was replace the 'cheap cabinet it came with' with a better wood one from Home Depot. Cost me a whole $35. I didn't even feel bad about destroying the one from LD. I put in better hinges, and as did Lazy Bones, doubled up on the magnetic catches. I put 1/2" wide aluminum straps across the shelves to keep the contents inside, when the door is opened. I used the same exact holes in the wall to mount the new cabinet. It has worked great for 19 1/2 years.
     I've included a picture, and you can see the articulated shower rod that I put in also.     RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #18
Looks good, Ron!
Andy Baird

Reply #19
Definitely an opportunity for an upgrade, Ron.  I like the shower rod also!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #20
Since the medicine cabinet is so cheesy, I’m thinking I might ask if it can not be installed. Perhaps the one advantage to letting the factory install it anyway would be that you would be able to tell where any studs or reinforcements are. Thoughts?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #21
Speaking of the mid bath "hump" or "thrown"  :D  Does anyone know what is underneath it? I assume the black tank or maybe just some plumping as it looks to me that the fresh tank is under the kitchen counter area just on the other side of the wall. I ask because we plan to put in a composting toilet.. and well they are tall. We have an 05 MB so the whole floor is wide, not just the section closer to the shower. Any ideas?
2005 26.5 MB Diesel
2006 Jeep Wrangler Golden Eagle

Reply #22
The wheel well is under the toilet, the “throne” is elevated to provide the needed drop to the black tank. There isn’t the space needed for a composting toilet, which, IMO, is a good thing.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #23
"Wow, that really is a throne, with steps and all."

Some folks, particularly those with short legs, find that high seat awkward or even uncomfortable. I raised the floor level by cutting a 1" thick piece of plywood to fit the space and covered it with a scrap of indoor/outdoor carpet using contact cement. Works for me!   :D

So just exactly how high are the base platform and "dais"?  One of the pictures I took makes look like you'd be sitting almost at the level of the counter...