Skip to main content
Topic: Tread separation fender well damage (Read 288 times) previous topic - next topic
Tread separation fender well damage
Recent tread separation on the left rear inner Michelin LTX M/S damaged the fender well (or whatever it really is).  The picture is from just behind the tires looking toward the back.  The damaged part looks like fiberglass.  I think the black tank is just behind the damaged part.  As far as I can tell, the black tank is OK.

What, if anything, should I do about this?

Re: Tread separation fender well damage
Reply #1
Howard, you may want to look at Larry’s Flickr photos on the damage to his rig after an inside dual blowout and see how he repaired it. (See “Larry Wade Projects” link on the home page of the board.) I know that Larry has repaired damaged fiberglass a few times; he may see your post and reply.

Sorry this happened to you!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
It is probable there is nothing you could have done to prevent the tire failure but give it a try. Tire date code? Inflation pressure? Were it the right rear inside dual we would all have thought exhaust heat.

Do you need to replace the remaining tires to prevent another failure?

Michelin recalled a lot of LTX m/s2s about 7 years ago. Can your tire person recommend a  better tire from Michelin or someone else?

Many of us have been through this. I had no damage but am trying to prevent a recurrence. So far so good.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #3
Doesn't the LTX have a more aggressive tread?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
I should not digress !
As a teen, I remember bias ply snow tires with cleats and embedded cork being installed every winter.
In modern times we demand, radial all season tires with highway treads  capable of 100 mph and 100,000 mile life, no noise,  passenger car comfort, that do not have to be installed every winter.  
Modern all season tires remind me of fancy bias ply commercial highway treads that have been crosscut with a saw blade.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #5
"Doesn't the LTX have a more aggressive tread?"
---
A LT tire of any brand usually is designated "All Season", and may also have an M+S (mud+snow) indication on the sidewall. The tread pattern on an All-Season" tire is different from a "Summer" or "Highway" LT tire in that the All-Season's tread pattern usually has wider and "cross-thread" sipes to improve traction in wet, muddy, and/or snowy road conditions. If you look at examples of LT All-Season and Highway tires, for example, the All-Season Michelin Agilis (the replacement for the Defender) and the Michelin XPS Rib, the tread differences are immediately obvious.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
I should not digress !
As a teen, I remember bias ply snow tires with cleats and embedded cork being installed every winter.

For more digression,  where I grew up 'snow' came in a cone with sugary syrup on top.  Would not have understood what tires had to do with it.   ;)
joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #7
Make that bias ply recapped snow tires with walnut shell embedded in the recap. Great traction. :D
1994 MB

Reply #9
What, if anything, should I do about this?

Catching up on older topics, it's hard to keep up when traveling.

The fiberglass protects the tank from damage from thrown rocks, picked up off the pavement. The original profile of the fender should be restore.
Anyone who works with fiberglass should be able to repair this.
A temporary or permanent repair could be done with a piece of sheet aluminum, placed between the tank and fender and bolted to the fiberglass.
Can't tell if there is enough room to access the backside of the fender. If the clearance is available, the patch could be done from the wheel-side of the wheel well .
I would clean up the shattered edges to reduce the risk of injury to the next person working on the rig.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze