Skip to main content
Topic: 1993 26.5 MB need help installing Emergency Hatch Cover (Read 147 times) previous topic - next topic
1993 26.5 MB need help installing Emergency Hatch Cover
I received the Emergency Hatch cover from Lazy Daze headquarters.

No instructions or help in installing it.

It looks like I need to drill out the Rivets on the old cracked one and some how become a Rivet expert to get the new one on.

Looking for some advice or a workaround to get this on.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions-
1993 MB
2006 Honda CRV

Re: 1993 26.5 MB need help installing Emergency Hatch Cover
Reply #2
Thank you Joann-

The information you provided is fantastic. I copied the info unto this post of where I am in the installation.  Just not my fortay. I wish it was easier. But I guess I am going to take it in to an RV dealer to get the work done properly.

Some more tips on replacing a hatch cover

To slide a new cover with the hinge attached is nigh impossible since the hatch has to be open more than is possible with the hinge attached. You’ll have to remove the hinge by driving out the pop rivets.

After the cover is in place, use stainless steel machine screws with stainless steel nyloc nuts and washers. Using nuts allows the screws to be snugged but not over tightened and it's a lot easier than setting the big 3/16" pop rivets. You can cut off any excess length of the screws with a Dremel-type tool.
1993 MB
2006 Honda CRV

Re: 1993 26.5 MB need help installing Emergency Hatch Cover
Reply #3
I did the same a few years ago and it is working great. I also replaced the old crank mechanism with a new one. As we never use the hatch, it has stayed tightly closed ever since! The old hatch would rattle open over time...

Pete
Pete
1994 RB