Skip to main content
Topic: Camping at a Winery (Read 134 times) previous topic - next topic
Camping at a Winery
Hello I was wondering if anyone has ever camped at a winery and how was it.
I'm looking at doing it next summer with the wife she loves wine.
                                            Thanks Jody.
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Re: Camping at a Winery
Reply #1
Are you referring to the Harvest Hosts program? I used to belong to this, and did camp in four different locations: two wineries, an apple orchard, and a lavender farm. All the experiences were very pleasant, but I did not "re-up" because so many of the farms and/or wineries in the program were not in convenient-to-where-I-was-traveling locations.

That said, the "free" stay is not free; the program is a publicizer and business generator for the "host" participant, and it's expected, but not required, that the RVer buy whatever product(s) the facility produces. In the case (no pun intended) of a winery, the "free" overnight can get pretty pricey if the facility is good at its job!  ;) 

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
If Harvest Hosts, be aware it is mostly boondocking for 1 night only.

Reply #3
"If Harvest Hosts, be aware it is mostly boondocking for 1 night only."
----
Agreed. I've heard (no direct experience) reports that some RVers have overstayed their welcome at some facilities, stretching a visit to a 2-3 day squat. While this is not unexpected - a few bad actors often jam up a good thing for everyone - the business may be reluctant to shift the overstayers and risk "bad press" and future visits from RVers happy to spend on their product.

Complying with the host's rules, spending a little cash, and sending a "thank you" text/email/other go a long way to ensuring that hosts continue to offer the stay opportunities!

2003 TK has a new home