Skip to main content
Topic: Maple or Cherry Finish (Read 197 times) previous topic - next topic
Maple or Cherry Finish
Curious whether one finish ages better than the other?
I've read that the exterior paint colors wear differently, so now wondering about the interior.

/Kit
2018 Mid-Bath Beatrix (bringer of joy)

Re: Maple or Cherry Finish
Reply #1
I don't know if the cherry finish is just the varnish tint or if they actually use cherry wood.  Cherry is a wood that darkens over time, while maple does not.  Woodworkers and antique collectors value an aged cherry look.  So, if maple is the base for all the cabinetry, the finish colors are due to the tint in the varnish, and there should be no difference in aging.  If different woods are used, the cherry will darken over time.

Regardless of the wood used or the varnish color, any finish is subject to damage from simple wear and tear, from abrasion, from scratches, and so on.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #2
Kit, based on our observations of a couple used units  and a tip from somebody who has owned both finishes, I would say the cherry finish shows wear much more than the lighter maple finish.

I can say that the light finish of our 2003 has held up quite well. If we would have ever ordered another new LD, it would most definitely been the lighter finish.

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #3
The only information on the Lazy Daze website is: “Real wood interior cabinetry. Not pressed wood.” I suggest a call to the Mothership for clarification on what that means.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
AFAIK, unless LD has changed their cabinetry materials (the current description is the same as on the spec sheet for my 2003!), the drawer fronts and trim on the cabinets/cupboards are solid wood; the “faces” of the cabinets are hardboard covered with a woodgrain patterned vinyl. They are not wood. (The “cherry” may be a different composite from the lighter color.)

As suggested, a call to the factory may help to clarify the “solid wood” claim.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Dark finish shows dust
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy