Skip to main content
Topic: Tire Confusion (Read 290 times) previous topic - next topic
Tire Confusion
The Michelin LTX M/S2 tires (size LT225/75R16) on our 2010 MB are 6 years old with 48,000 miles.  Even though they still have quite a bit of tread I am ready to replace them.  Based on prior discussion on this forum, I was planning to go with the Michelin Defender tire.  However, I cannot seem to find the Defender tire in the 225/75R16 size after looking at the Discount Tire, Michelin, and Tirerack web sites.  All I find are the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate and XPS Rib.  Am I missing something or is the Defender tire no longer available in size 225/75R16?  If no longer available, what would be the next best choice?
Thanks,
Paul
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        
1994 Multiplan (1997-2010)

Re: Tire Confusion
Reply #1
Not sure if they are still available in that size but wanted to let you know that Michelin’s will be on special in August at Costco so you may want to check there as well.  I plan on buying Defenders for my Outback and I found that out when researching prices for it. Good luck and let us know how you fare.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
I stopped at my local Costco this afternoon to inquire about tires.  I learned, as I suspected, that Costco does not do tire work on motorhomes directly.  All you can do is bring in rim(s) and they will put a new tire on the rim. 
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        

Reply #3
Paul, Michelin has apparently replaced the Defender with the “Agilis”; the specs look the same as the Defender. There are two tires with the “Agilis” name; if you decide on this tire, be sure to get the load range E tire.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Some of the Michelin tires, e.g., the Defender and others,  previously available in LT225/75R/16 load range E, may still be available from a tire shop’s distributor, but they will be “old stock”; for the freshest tires, one might want to order the newest incarnation of the appropriate size and application. (Ditto other tire brands.)

But, as ever, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
After some more looking I found this flyer from Michelin: 
https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bcontent/PDF/Michelin_Agilis_Cross_Climate_Tire_Flyer.pdf
The flyer confirms that the Defender tire is no longer offered in size LT225/75R16.  The tire offered in that size is the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate LT-Metric Tire. 
Consumer Reports has not yet rated the Agilis Crossclimate tire nor are there any comments yet on the Tirerack website.
Nevertheless, I will likely order a set of 6 from my local Discount Tire dealer.
Paul
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        

Reply #7
Thanks Paul for that link. The Agilis tire, I hope, has been proven in Europe. Better gas mileage, but harder tread it looks like. I don't drive in snow, but wet yes. Durability with ozone, heat, and sunlight are my primary interests. Possibly higher air pressure requirements. As a 'commercial' tire, no mileage guarantee. I wonder how it is rated by the U.S.?    Harshness of the ride and noise considerations.
      I hate to be the test 'guinea pig' on such a substantial purchase. I'm getting close to my sixth set of tires. The first set came with the motorhome, Firestone. Recalled, but not for motor homes, and mine were made at the plant that was permanently closed.  Then a set of XPS rib that I had vibration problems with. Then a good set of Michelin LTX, then another set (#4) that was replaced 'free' by Michelin the MS 2 that are timing out now.  (set #5)
    As an aside I've had them replaced at Costco a few times. I know it was dependent on the Costco location. I haven't checked recently to see if they will still service my motorhome.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB