Skip to main content
Topic: Odoriferous Fridge (Read 181 times) previous topic - next topic
Odoriferous Fridge
Ham went bad in freezer. I have tried baking soda, coffee grounds, vanilla, vinegar, bleach and hard scrubbing. Nothing has worked. Suggestions? (Other than discarding the 'fridge?))
LD 22', 1989 Custom Build. Chassis 1990 Chevy Van G30, 5.7l.

Re: Odoriferous Fridge
Reply #1
An ozone machine will get rid of oders.   They can be rented but not cheap and typically the last resort. :Much cheaper than a new fridge.
I am guessing the ham / ham smell got infused into the fridge plastic.
What about trying an enzyme made to remove oders / trace substances?  Easiest ones to get are the ones made for pet accidents, such as natures miracle,  We have used these for spilled food (as well as per accidents) and it works well.
I think (but I a, not sure) that oxyclean might also have enzymes in it.
Let the enzyme product sit saturating the area being treated for a while so it can work.

Let us know how if you find something that works.
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #2
You might try crumpled newspaper.  Fill the freezer with it and close the door.  Repeat.

Activated charcoal is also something to try.

Reply #3
Unless the ham leaked juices that may have run under panels to inaccessible areas, venting the area should kill the smells. Not much in there to retain just an odor. Could try a hair dryer blasting in there for awhile, then a fan blowing into the open freezer for a day.

If juices DID leak, then spraying ZEP mold and mildew cleaner or similar where the juices could have flowed and letting it sit for a day should do the trick.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit