Skip to main content
Topic: Tire Question (Read 165 times) previous topic - next topic
Tire Question
Hi,
We are replacing the tires on our 2001 30' midbath LD.  The mother ship recommends Hankook Dynapro, since Ford is now installing these.   The local tire shop asked if we wanted more aggressive tires on the back and regular all-season tires on the front (what they called 'steering tires'!), since they do this for trucks fairly frequently.
Has anyone done this?  Does it work well?  Increase road noise?  Change wear?  Anything else you can think of?
Input appreciated.
Many thanks,
Liz
2005 Mid Bath

Re: Tire Question
Reply #1
I think it's safe to say that aggressive tires mean more road noise and greater wear.  So, unless you plan on doing some fairly serious off road driving or  considerable driving in the snow,  there is no reason to put them on.   Commercial vehicles that deal with a variety of more challenging driving conditions could justify getting them but they aren't normally put on motorhomes.     Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #2
I suggest that you install 6 of the same tire, i.e., the Hankook, the Michelin Defender, or another of the same quality and application. IMO, there is no reason to put “aggressive” , or different, tires on the rear.

Order a set of 6, *fresh*, date-matched tires; you may want to consider a window of no longer than 6-8 weeks from date of manufacture. Inspect the tires to make sure you get what you ordered, ask them to install the tires with the date codes on the outside, and remove the wheel covers before taking your rig to the shop; tire shops (and others) seldom know how to remove or re-install the wheel covers.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Thanks to everyone for your responses - we don't plan off-roading, so the regular tires make sense.  I had never heard of two types of tires on an RV, so I appreciate the opportunity to check it out here.
2005 Mid Bath