Skip to main content
Topic: toad , toad, toad, (Read 751 times) previous topic - next topic
toad , toad, toad,
Morning I have a question or two on TOADS.   We have had dozen and seems they are the grief of motorhome traveling. 
We always need one and then decide we want different one an so on.  Funny most of the time we leave it at home we have a 23.5 fl and it goes pretty much anywhere.
My questions are on some vehicles the ones I think with spedo cables register miles towing also and the newer ones like our 99 xj Cherokee jeep do not.  Can anyone tell me on the Honda Crv like a 2013 if it registers towed miles or not I assume not???
Next Toyotas cant be towed flat has anyone tried like a Rav 4 on a trailer?  would this type rig be to heavy for the ld hitch system.  ours is a 2005 ford.  Again im guessing it would push the 6000# area and be to heavy. ??
Thanks for any info.
Grumpy
2005 Front Lounge

Re: toad , toad, toad,
Reply #1
"Can anyone tell me on the Honda Crv like a 2013 if it registers towed miles or not I assume not???"

I previously towed a 2002 Honda Civic. I am currently towing a 2008 Honda CRV. LazyBones2 tows a 2014? CRV. None of these Hondas registers mileage when being towed.   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Is it Toad,  Towd, or Tow'd?  Reasonable people can reasonably disagree.  Disagreeable people argue the question.

Orwan as 38K,  with 37K towing a 2013 Honda CRV.  It weighs in about 3800 stuffed as a 2nd closet so is too heavy to trailer.  I had a dummy key made so someone can't drive it off.  When the key is in the accessory position,  the odometer doesn't turn.  When left in the 'on' position the odometer turns and the battery drains.
The odometer on the tow'd reads 68K and so the frame has about 105K on it.  Only troubles I've had towing were from the process is 'idiot resistant' and not 'idiot proof'. 
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #3
Steve,
May i ask if the civic you towed previously was an automatic?

Thanks
Randy
Randy

2019 MB

Reply #4
"May i ask if the civic you towed previously was an automatic?"

Certainly!

All three Hondas were/are automatics. Is there any other kind?  ;)

Before Honda went to the CVT (Constant Velocity Transmission) all of them were towable 4 down. It does require that you perform a certain shift pattern routine before you tow. It's necessary to start in 'Park' with the engine running. Then shift to Reverse, Neutral, Drive 1, Drive 2 and low. Now slowly reverse the order back to Drive 2, Drive 1 and finally into Neutral, where it is to remain while towing.
This will assure that all the gears have an ample amount of oil. A word of caution: Do Not shift from Reverse to Neutral, Honda frowns on that. 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Randy,

Dads 2002 Civic, 2008 CR-V and my 2014 CR-V are all automatics.
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #6
Thank you both for the very helpful information. I am looking to tow an 09 Civic and using the procedure you mentioned specifically. I have known others who towed auto hondas before with good results when doing it correctly. Its funny, i think the equipment to tow is almost worth as much as the car :).

Thanks again
Randy
Randy

2019 MB

Reply #7
Randy

If you go with the Honda for towing you will need an auxiliary braking system of one sort or another. I have used the SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo system on all of my toads. I highly recommend it!

Stay-IN-Play DUO | Demco Products
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #8
Randy, I spent about $3,000 to equip the CRV for towing.  This included the Falcon All Terrain Tow bar, base plate, cables etc,  SMI Stay-n-play aux braking system and all installations.  From what I've seen, that is about right in the ballpark.  For a do-again,  I'd take another look at Blue Ox due to all the ugly hardware roadmaster uses on the front end.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #9
Steve, lol - of course there is.  I grew up with manual transmissions - that was the only choice for "real" car drivers when I was a teen.

I never had an automatic until the last few years. We wanted to find a used Honda CRV - my first used car since my first car, but for how few miles we drive a new one made no sense.  It was hard enough to find a Honda CRV with the year and mileage ranges we were looking for, so we accepted one that was an automatic transmission.

It seems manual transmissions are disappearing. I know in Seattle people didn't know how to drive with manual transmissions on the road (e.g. stop a foot behind you on a steep hill). I had to get out a couple of times and explain I had a manual transmission and the car could slide back as I changed into first gear and started moving up the hill.  While  I was very good and typically this didn't happen, I would appreciate a couple of feet of clearance behind me just in case.  They  would look alarmed and immediately back up a couple feet. 
But then I saw people in the ice/snow (something that happened once a year for a couple days) pull right up behind (e.g. a foot or two) a double bus that had just slid all over the road trying to go a couple more feet up that  15% grade.  The first day, even though predicted, it took a while to get chains on the buses and things got a little dangerous around them.  But instead of seeing this and giving space, people would pull up right behind the bus.  I thought didn't you just seem him struggling to control his buses, he could slide right back into you.  I would just get off the main roads and drive in the 1' of ice and snow on the side roads - much safer since I knew how to handle the snow and ice.
What people are not used to.....

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #10
" I grew up with manual transmissions..."

I was born on a farm in upstate New York (think winter) in the year 1936, Groundhog's Day to be exact. When I was twelve I learned to drive in my Father's 1931 Model 'A' Roadster (rumble seat and all). At that time the car would have been 17 years old, older than me. So yes, I do remember the standard shift, but I can't remember the last time I owned one.  ;D

Chains? Who needed chains?  ::)   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #11
Thanks again for the good info. This will give me more to dig into and hopefully be able to drag the little car around with us. Maybe drag is the wrong word  8)
Randy

2019 MB

Reply #12
ok now im up on lots of new information I thank you all and add a new question since I learned civic is available.
What years or models of the Honda Civic with automatic can you safely tow?? 
I think this may be a more reasonable second car than a crv for towing?
Thanks much
Grumpy
2005 Front Lounge

Reply #13
Grumpy ponders . . .

"What years or models of the Honda Civic with automatic can you safely tow?? "

The Dinghy Towing Guide put out by Motorhome magazine says this in their 2019 Guide:

"Honda

"Depending on how long you’ve been perusing our annual dinghy towing guide, you may or may not be familiar with our somewhat unconventional relationship with Honda. For years, Honda would not officially confirm that any of its vehicles were towable, but unofficially suggested that all manual transmission equipped models were. Without concrete approval in writing, however, we couldn’t list any Hondas except for the CR-V (no longer towable), which prompted numerous letters from readers scolding us for not listing a Honda vehicle that they “had been towing for years without any problems,” or words to that effect. Last year we ran into some confusion as to whether or not the Fit was manufacturer approved for flat towing: the owner’s guide (which is not intended to be a substitute for the owner’s manual) stated that the Fit was towable, but the owner’s manual (which has since been revised) stated that it was not towable, therefore we left it out of our dinghy guide. This year, however, the Fit joins our list, along with the manual transmission-equipped Accord Sport, and Civic Sport Coupe and Hatchback.

"The Fit is a fun, sporty choice available in LX, Sport, EX and EX-L trim levels, although the EX-L is excluded for our purposes because it only comes with a continuously variable transmission. All models are powered by a spunky 130-hp 1.5-liter four cylinder, but our choice would be the Sport model, as it features more aggressive styling with front, side and rear underbody spoilers, 16-inch black alloy wheels and fog lights. Inside, the Fit Sport distinguishes itself with a black interior, black seats with unique cross-hatched fabric/orange stitching and leather-wrapped steering wheel/shift knob. Standard features on all Fit models include rearview camera, tailgate spoiler, auto on-off headlights, LED brakelights, Bluetooth HandsFreeLink and a center storage console with armrest.

"All-new just last year, Accord models come standard with Honda Sensing, a suite of safety features that includes Collision Mitigation Braking System, Road Departure Mitigation System, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Assist System and Traffic Sign Recognition. The Sport model is the only one equipped with a manual transmission, and is therefore the only one approved for flat towing. It comes with a choice of the 1.5-liter or a 252- hp 2.0-liter turbocharged engine, and standard features that include dual-zone climate control, push-button start, multi-angle rearview camera, auto high-beam headlights and Bluetooth Hands- FreeLink audio. The Sport model offers additional features such as Apple CarPlay/Android Auto inte- gration, 12-way power driver’s seat, 19-inch alloy wheels, LED fog lights, leather-wrapped steering wheel, 180-watt audio system with eight speakers, rear spoiler and chrome exhaust tips.

"Refreshed for the 2019 model year, the Honda Civic coupe features subtle styling updates as well as a standard 158-hp 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, six-speed manual transmission and the aforementioned Honda Sensing suite. The base LX model includes a 160-watt audio system with four speakers, auto high-beam headlights and 5-inch color LCD screen, while the new Sport model adds Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto integration, leather-wrapped steering wheel and exterior details like fog lights, 18-inch wheels, decklid spoiler, chrome exhaust tip and other details. For maximum driving fun, go with the Si model, which includes a 205-hp 1.5-liter turbocharged and intercooled four cylinder, six-speed manual transmission, limited slip differential, 450-watt audio system, one-touch moonroof, rear wing spoiler and other model-specific features."

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  Pick-up Sticks Pizza

Reply #14
"What years or models of the Honda Civic with automatic can you safely tow??"

Much has already been said about the towable years. I believe the cut-off was 2015.

But, when considering the choice between the Fit, the Civic and the CRV my choice took me to the CRV because of ground clearance. Yes, the Fits and Civics have been used as Toads but they have a very limited ground clearance. You could find yourself literally dragging them over rough ground in an attempt to get off the blacktop. A few inches can make all the difference.  :o

Ask Andy Baird and others that have experienced that issue.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #15
Thanks again for the good info. This will give me more to dig into and hopefully be able to drag the little car around with us. Maybe drag is the wrong word  8)
If you're dragging it around, try taking the tow'd out of park.....
BTDT  ;D
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #16
LOL Joel, I could easily picture a scenario where i got in a hurry and that could happen to me as well. Hopefully the little car would put a little drag on the LD or i would eventually see the smoke. :o
Randy

2019 MB

Reply #17
LOL Joel, I could easily picture a scenario where i got in a hurry and that could happen to me as well. Hopefully the little car would put a little drag on the LD or i would eventually see the smoke. :o

You wouldn't be alone. Even the pro mess up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMpl2CXyZF8
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #18
The first time I hooked up the towd, I dragged it 50 ft down the hill at home. Shortened the life of a set of tires.
Unused checklists are useless.
Now when I hook up, I go thru the checkist and leave it on the LD driver seat  if its not ready to roll.
Haven't sat on it . . . .  yet.

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #19
"I had to get out a couple of times and explain I had a manual transmission and the car could slide back as I changed into first gear and started moving up the hill."

In that situation I used to sometimes use the handbrake to hold the vehicle while I took my foot off the brake and moved it to the accelerator. Then I'd slowly release the handbrake as I slowly pushed the accelerator to move forward. This technique requires coordination and takes some practice, but it can mostly or entirely eliminate "backsliding."

Nowadays my vehicles are automatic, which makes life easier. I'm not towing them any more, so my choices are not limited by what manufacturers say is towable four-down. Now I'm towing with them, which has its own concerns, but there are a lot more choices available.

"when considering the choice between the Fit, the Civic and the CRV my choice took me to the CRV because of ground clearance. Yes, the Fits and Civics have been used as Toads but they have a very limited ground clearance."

Right. As many here know, I towed a Fit for about five years and loved it. As long as I stuck to city and highway driving, it was great. But it had only about five inches of ground clearance, so I had to be very careful about where I took it. I scraped the chassis a few times just going over driveway lips, and eventually I scraped a pinhole (fortunately a tiny one!) in the oil pan when driving on rough ground. I had to have the pan removed and the hole welded. When I switched to a Subaru Forester, with nine inches of ground clearance, those worries went away.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #21
The 2020 Corvette incorporates some radical changes, such as moving the engine towards the rear of the car. At a dry weight of just under 3,400 lbs., might make a nice toad. Not sure if it's towable 4-down:

2020 C8 Corvette Mid-Engine Stingray Specs and Photos, Revealed
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #22
Re: 2020 Vette.   I might have waited all my adult to do this comparison.   The Vette shares a trade with the Fit.  If you have concerns about the oil pan’s level above the pavement in a Fit, you might consider passing on looking  at a Vette as a toad. Fun to dream about though.  
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #23
Another Honda Fit bonus is that it is probably (my 2012 is) less than 3000lb and does not require a braking system in many states.  Not that it is necessarily a good idea, but legal.
2003 30' IB

Reply #24
Another Honda Fit bonus is that it is probably (my 2012 is) less than 3000lb and does not require a braking system in many states.  Not that it is necessarily a good idea, but legal.

Any state allowing this hopefully has all straight, flat, level roads. Coming around a blind curve down a steep freeway grade at 60 mph and all traffic was dead stopped. Without the toad brake on our Fit, I am certain the outcome would have been tragic.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit