Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 Lazy Daze roof (Read 208 times) previous topic - next topic
1987 Lazy Daze roof
I am wanting to maintain my roof. But I am confused. Do All Lazy Daze have an Aluminum roof and therefore? After sitting under trees in summer, , UV hard sun in New Mexico, lately cold winters, pooling water etc. Google searches only offer Ads for liquid roofing that don't seem to be for Aluminum ( I think) roofing.
I don't have roof leaks, but want to be ahead of a problem in summer when I can deal with repairs.
I'm a full timer so its pretty much hard in winter to deal with this.
How do I maintain the roof, are they all Aluminum sheets? Just painted?
A year ago, all seals around vents and everything was removed and resealed. Do I need to do more to protect the roof? The paint seems rather old. I wish I had better protection overall.
Thanks,
P.

1987 LD New Mexico

Re: 1987 Lazy Daze roof
Reply #1
Patricia, do you have pictures?

Including closeups of any areas of concern?

That would help people if they are seeing what you are seeing.

Jane

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #2
"...are they all Aluminum sheets? Just painted? "

The answer is 'yes', the roof is all one continuous sheet of aluminum. As long as there are no penetrations, other than those of the vents, etc., the only concern you have is the seams at the edges of the roof. Most of us here on LDOF use Eternabond to seal those seams. The Mothership does not approve of it's use but we have learned that it will hold up over the years if properly applied. Since you've already sealed the vents, etc. if it were me I'd concentrate on the seam at the edges of the roof covering and enjoy lots of happy travels.   ;)

As far as the 'paint' you mentioned, what you see is most probably a non-slip coating that LD applies over the aluminum.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Historical note from the "Changes by Year" document: Lazy Dazes built until 1985 had multi-section aluminum roofs. Late that year the factory switched to one-piece aluminum roofs.

And Patricia, you're right about liquid roofing--applying that to a Lazy Daze is a Very Bad Idea.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
I’m thinking, back then, the roof construction was a little different. One of our long-time members should be able to confirm or deny . . .
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
Snuck in my post a minute ahead of you, Greg! ;-)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Saw that, Andy. Thanks! 😀

So the OP’s roof is one-piece construction then.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
The front window and the molding connecting the side walls to the nose are spots that are well known to leak and need resealing periodically . Rot in the front nose is extremely common in pre-1990 models.
Photos of the existing seams would be helpful.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
Oh, I leak in the nose all right, and it's a constant battle. I am always trying something 'new' or puzzling over where the water actually comes in from, which changes direction all the time. But more so I just wanted to maintain my roof well for
the future and long life of the RV.

Thanks ALL!
1987 LD New Mexico