Skip to main content
Topic: Road Hazard (Read 251 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Road Hazard
Reply #1
Greg, he was driving under the influence and went up on the median - that results in all sorts of bad things in all states.

The only cactus to watch out for in AZ is jumping cactus - the nickname for Cholla cactus - named so because if you get too close their spines (the thorny part) seem to jump into you.  Especially watch pets around Cholla.

Oh and watch running hands over cactus/cactus thorns thinking they don't have thorns (some are fine like hair but really thorns, some seem hard and like you can tough them without getting stuck - until you touch the part that does stick you).  This is something most young children do at some point of course - gotta test that world not just blindly believe the adults.
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #2
"...they don't have to be too big to cause a lot of damage. That one right there, it could be one ton or 1,000 pounds.".

This must be some other 'weights & measures' table than the one I'm used to!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Jane and Scott, I sure wish someone had told me about Cholla-it jumped right onto my dog, a poodle cross which is kinda like a Velcro dog coat anyway. I had to take off my shirt in order to use it to pull the cactus off my poor girl. Thank goodness I didn't have to lose the pants as well. With todays dress codes I blended in for my quick walk home, probably would have been different without my britches.
2005 RK

Reply #4
When hiking in cholla country, carry a pair of needle nose pliers, useful for pulling the splines out. 

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
HalfMile20 - pets are always a concern with cactus of all kinds.  I am sorry your dog got caught and hope she recovered quickly.

Larry has it right, needle nose pliers (and tweezers for the fine hair thorns) are the best thing to get those thorns out.

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #6
My DD thought her Grams little cactus looked so soft and friendly and learned the hard way that they really aren’t. 😖

Cholla look very pleasant from a distance and make for beautiful desert scenery. As I have learned on numerous occasions while taking a “Walk-About” in the wash at Indian Cove, they do have the ability to catch you off guard. Needle nose pliers sound very advisable.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"