Skip to main content
Topic: Generator Not Starting (Read 305 times) previous topic - next topic
Generator Not Starting
So....boondocking right now....89 hours on the Onan...plenty of gas, oil level is fine, air filter is clear and fairly new....pulled the spark plug...looks like a used spark plug should (black, dry)....plenty of battery....wont turn over....any thought?
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Re: Generator
Reply #1
0. Are there any flashing error codes on the start switches?
1. Try both start switches (indoor one, and one on generator).
2. Check all connections.
3. Try it with the engine running.

Others can probably come up with additional suggestions.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Andy - no codes, tried both....going to try with the engine running in the am....got some tips from Vince as well
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #3
Does it just 'click'?  If so, this could be a possibility:

I've had the starter stick a few times on my 2003 microquiet.  The fix is the use a 9/16" wrench to reach in and gently turn the generator flywheel a small amount.  It will be stiff at first and then easier to turn.  I pull the sparkplug wire first. 

Details here (exerpt below the link)
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Onan 4000 Microquiet not starting

----
I had a similar problem with my generator. I checked it before a trip to Alaska and all appeared to be fine. Used it a couple of times on the trip and then it wouldn't start. It got to the point that it wouldn't turn over and just made a click (klunk) that sounded as if the starter was jammed. After returning home, I found information this forum that explained that sometimes the piston in the engine could stop near the top of the compression stroke and the starter motor then could not turn the engine over.

The solution was to turn the engine over by hand so it was past the top of the compression stroke. I found that by putting a wrench on the nut on the flywheel, I could get the engine rotated past the compression stroke.
--

Another link with the same solution:
Onan Gen. (No start, clicking) - iRV2 Forums

Another guess was low oil cut-off, but you say the oil level is fine. 

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Re: Generator Not Starting
Reply #4
Follow-up:

Well....we’re boondocking at 6,400 ft elevation .....adjusted the carb mixture to the high elevation (mine is marked 6,500 ft) from 0......started up.....duh......lesson #589
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #5

"Follow-up:

Well....we’re boondocking at 6,400 ft elevation .....adjusted the carb mixture to the high elevation (mine is marked 6,500 ft) from 0......started up.....duh......lesson #589"

Glad to see you got your problem resolved.

But please understand that when you asked for help, your first post said it "won't turn over". There is a big difference between "won't turn over" and stating that it cranks but won't start. That is why you got suggestions like trying to put a wrench on the fly wheel to turn the engine or making sure you had enough battery power to crank the engine. Just sayin'...devil is in the details.

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #6
Steve makes a good point. When describing a problem, the more specific and detailed you can be about the symptoms, the more likely you'll get relevant help.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"