Skip to main content
Topic: Driving new LD cross country - need advice (Read 919 times) previous topic - next topic
Driving new LD cross country - need advice
Just found out that our new 31' IB won't be ready for pickup until around September.  When we placed our order last year in April we were hoping for a June delivery so my husband and I could drive it back to Pennsylvania over the summer. We are both teachers - one more year til retirement. He is working full time - I am currently working as a substitute - so I can take time off as needed. So it loos like I will be flying out to California solo and driving it back by myself. I have never owned an RV before so it will be a steep learning curve. A part of me is up for the challenge - but another part of me is feeling apprehensive.  Any advice for how to steady my nerves - and plan this adventure to maximize success?  All suggestions welcome!
2019  31 IB

Re: Driving new LD cross country - need advice
Reply #1
First, you can do this.
Second, a steep learning curve is a good thing.  A flat learning curve isn't.
The 31 IB (of which I have) is based on the same chassis as a 27 ft U-Haul truck.
Welcome to the Lazydaze School of Delivery Schedules.  Mine was slated for early to mid February 2014.  I like to say it was delivered on the 87th day of February.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #2
It is probable everything will work (contrary to most new RVs) so the major problem, to me, is to learn to drive it so you don't hit anything. Doesn't LD have a consultant that will give a new owner driving course? Probably worth the money.

Beyond that check the oil and tire pressure daily and figure out how to get 80psi to the tires when needed. Learn how to buy propane and level the refrigerator if you use it.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #3
You might also consider renting a very long U-haul a couple times and drive it around neighborhoods and on the interstate.  It will likely be taller and ride tougher than your LD but what you are trying to do is get a custom to the length and height.  Learning to use the bubble mirrors and how to late apex on the turns (not turn to early so the back wheels don’t go over the curb.  While that sounds like a lot it actually isn’t. Most can be accomplished at low speeds in a parking lot.  Then when you are ready to fly out you will have built up some self confidence.  The self confidence is the big thing and this just might be a way to do that.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Hi, sounds like an adventure. Especially since you will be driving solo and have not driven an rv before, you might consider taking professional rv driving lessons after you pick up the rig. We did this when we picked up our new rig from the factory in 2015 and it made all the difference. I  do most of the driving and also hadn't driven anything bigger than my small Subaru before. We took a 2 day session with Steve from the rv driving school. He met us in Lancaster, CA and spent 2 full days with us. At the time in 2015 I think it was about $600 for the 2 of us for the 2 days. If interested, you can find the rv driving school on-line. They have instructors in various locations around the country.  You might also want to get a Garmin  rv GPS which gives you verbal directions. Especially important if you don't have a co-pilot.
If  you would like to talk about this, please give me a call or leave a message as to when you would like to talk. We're in Seattle, so pacific daylight time.
Good luck, and we love our lazy daze.
Jean Muir

jeanmuir@att.net

2015 MB

Reply #5
I don't think you will have a difficult time learning to drive your new LD, especially if you are not towing.  I have a 30' TB and I find it very easy to drive.  There are a couple of things that you will have to get used to and watch out for:

1) It takes a little getting used to centering your LD in your lane as the coach is wider than your driver position.  Make sure your mirror are adjusted properly so that you can see along side the coach on both sides so that you don't change lanes into someone.  I would also recommend the fresnel lens which is placed in the back window so that you can get a wide angle of what is behind you when you need it.  It also helps to see traffic behind you. Now that I mention that, you might also want to adjust your backup camera further behind the coach so that you can see traffic in the camera (The backup camera can be turned on while cruising down the road.

2) Be very careful when making turns in parking lots and gas stations.  The rear end swings out when turning and if you are not careful it is easy to hit one of those concrete pillars that protect the gas pumps.

3) I would recommend putting together a checklist that you can run through before every startup.  This will ensure that you don't forget things.  I think i have an online version of mine that you can use as a start.  Your checklist will change once you get some experience.

4) Don't forget your credit card!  The gas mileage sucks.  :D

I am happy to give you additional tips if you want.  Just message me and we can set up a time.

Mike S.
'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition

Reply #6
Well first read as much of this forum as you can...second don't be in a hurry during the walk thru or on the way home, schedule it in the AM so maybe you can leave the factory midday before the traffic gets too bad. I would advise you to camp in town a day or two to get ready for the trip, as you need to go shopping anyway and get the basics. Third you could always hire an experienced extra driver to help you get home, thats what I might do if my wife was picking our "baby" up and had such a long drive.

If I'm in town I would be happy to talk to you and coach you, if you spent a few days in LA or Long Beach we could get some cones and practice maneuvers in an empty parking lot, as my wife needs some review too, we could do that at the same time. 
Nov 2023, 2012 31’ IB, white/green swoops & swirles, 2009 Mini Cooper, racing green convertible, toad 🐸

We ordered white/gray  2018 27' mid bath 1/3/18 and we are hoping for a July 16th 2019 delivery, sold, and tried a Lithium Travato, wish  I would have kept the Lazy Daze 27’

Reply #7
If you have not driven large moving van, I second the advise to take a driving course while there in L.A. area.
There are some online, but in your rig is best.

Turning wide corners and watching for overhead things are important.
Do not plan to back up - it is easier to go forward.

We had driven uhaul 27' vans across several states before. 
However, on our last trip thru L.A., and Santa Barbara, in our little 22', we found we could not park where we wanted to (so had to change plans on where to go eat).  While we could "turn around" (often we went around the block), people talk about getting stuck someplace they can't drive and having to backup.
I started navigating differently - checking out the satellite view on the phone map apps for parking lots to make sure we could use one close to where we were going.

If you go where the semi trucks go you know you have room.  For gas, to park overnight, etc.  So truck stops and rest areas work well.  Often at those locations are places to park overnight.  Or plan your stops (but that means you can't just stop when you are tired).

What about taking a friend along for company?  That way they can help navigate.

You don't need to be in a rush to do 8-10 hours of driving a day, it is better to take breaks and drive shorter days and be  fresh and alert.

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #8
I really like my Garmin with the RV settings, it has pointed out low bridges and steep hills. I also use WAZE as a backup becasue I like how it reroutes you if there is a road blockage ahead. 

Normally would not suggest this but if you can not get a friend to help with the navigation consider staying at KOA campgrounds (or the like) and ask for drive through parking places.  KOA's typically are not so scenic when compared to national, state and local parks; but you can call ahead reservations, can request a pull through (no backing up) spot.  Also the staff I have met going across country have always been helpful. If you explain that you new to RVing they can likely get someone to watch over your shoulder while doing things.

I also sent my phone numbers and email address to add to the list of helpers. 

As I said in my PM, you and your husband have done much harder things.  This trip just comes with a bit of a learning curve.  There are lots of people to help with that.  All of us were new to this at some point.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #9
1.Get some experience with a professional or simply driving a rental truck - very important.  Drive the rental truck on at least two occasions.

2. Skip the camping on the way home.   You'll have enough stress just driving.  Trying to find campgrounds and everything that goes with that is not worth it on this long first drive home by yourself. 

3. Stay in motels close to the freeway.  Have breakfast and lunch there.  Get a good night's sleep.   Relax and be prepared for the next day.  Driving this rig the first time all day is going to be a very tiring experience for you.  You don't need to add anything to it.

4. Have LD put about 20 gallons of fresh water in your tank.  You won't be showering in the rig and that's all you need for the bathroom.   See that you have enough propane to run the refrigerator on the way home.  It comes with a few gallons that should be enough.   Put lunch things, snacks, drinks, etc. in the refrigerator.  You could have lunches in the rig. 

5.  You'll be traveling largely empty with the exception of a little water, some food, some propane, soap and hand towels, and your personal affects.  This will make for a light rig which is a bit easier to handle - a good thing for a rookie.

I took my 2016 MB from the Mother Ship to Idaho by myself.  These tips are based on what I learned.   You will be spending a little extra for the motels and eating out but that is cheap insurance for a safe trip home.    Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #10

Some tips .....
The factory  in the walk around  will have a bit of propane and some water in the fresh water tank.   During the turnover walk around they will show you how to use each system.   It can be overwhelming.    READ read read the manual.  I would suggest you copy the manual you have.  They will ask for that manual back.  On your copy you can keep you notes and what not.   On your trip you can refer to your manual if you need any help.   They will give you a large packet of other manuals and warranty stuff. 

Driving -- remember YOU are the driver nobody else is.    So what about what others think.  They may call you all sort of names and declare things about your mother and father -- SO WHAT.  Since you can not use the speed control/cruise  for the frist few thousand miles (a Ford Motor Manufacturer recommendation) you'll be driving and controlling the speed.   The key to driving a large truck is thinking ahead.   Slow down before the curves and down hill.   Don't go into any place unless you have a exit.   If you have to back up GOAL.  Get Out And Look.   Again you are the driver.  If you don't like the looks of a place or action don't do it.  You are the driver.

Gas -- There is a ARCO near the factory.   Get about a half tank.  Gas is $$$$$$$ in California.   Once you cross the state line the price will drop 50 to 75 cents a gallon.  You will have enough propane to get home as you'll probably only be using it to cool the refrigerator and cook with.   If you think you'll need propane most all major truck stops will have it.  <smile> nothing is cheap along freeways.  I'm assuming you'll be on freeways all the way home.

Weather -- In September it should be good across the country.   

Route -- 10 will be the flatest but probably the longest way home to Pennsylvania.    40 is good  but has some mountains.    Then there's 15 to Las Vegas up thru Salt Lake then 80 across.   My overall recommendation is major freeways.    Come September most RV/Campgrounds will be a bit easier to find overnight spots. 

Driving time -- 3 hours or 300 miles.   Yes it seems like a small amount of distance/time.   But driving a medium duty truck is a full time job.   Trust me you mind and body will bless you.   Eat well.   Sleep well.  Don't worry about what is behind you.   You are the driver.  Getting out of the LA area is going to give you lots of experience.  

Bottom line -- Take you time.  Enjoy the trip.  Relax we all have been there done that.     By the time you get home you'll be the expert.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #11
I like the idea of renting a Uhaul to get a feel for the size.
The only thing I can contribute is use the side mirrors. Adjust them so you can barely see the rear of the LD. As you go down the road you should be able to see both your rear wheels, the center line and line on the passenger side in the mirrors. This way you will be able to acquire the "sight" for knowing if you are in the middle of your lane. Scuffing tires on curbs, can lead to a blowout. Use the mirrors, they will become your friends.

I can not in any way agree with kool83704 suggestion of Skip the camping on the way home.  You'll have enough stress just driving. If you think you will be stressed, you will be stressed. Take a breath and say to yourself this will be easy. And it is.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #12
If all of this boggles your mind, you could have your RV delivered to your door.  I have a friend thats been delivering RV's for years out of Elkhart IN.  Several firms that do this.  95% of the deliveries made, the driver has to dead head back to the mid west.  Rates can be very attractive on return trips like this.  Sometimes less then a $1.00 a mile.  Would have to be weighed against your expenses to do it yourself.  Not for everyone, but an option.
2003 MB

Reply #13
A lot of good information here.
I would build a couple extra days into the trip and not head straight home but spend at least one night near the Mothership, to give all the systems a try and to make sure nothing is amiss.  A perfect as LD is, they do make mistakes, it's much easier to get them fix when out here as opposed to getting any repairs done back home plus you know they will be done right.

Ship a couple boxes of basic gear to LD, including a sleeping bag, pillow, linens, some simple cooking gear, clothes and personal gear, whatever you would take car camping, minus the stove, ice chest and tent.
The Mothership can tell you where to get fuel, propane and basic groceries. Fill it up with fuel, propane and water and forget about 'tank' anxiety, you will have enough to anxious about. You will not notice the extra weight of water or fuel.
Get Vince to fill your water tank before leaving LD.

Renting a U-Haul is great idea if you have never driven a large vehicle plus it will give you some time to experience driving with only the side mirrors.
Once you get on the road, you may be surprised how easy it is to drive, it's the city driving that is more difficult, IMO.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #14
You could have it delivered. For example, Horizon Transport is a large and generally well-regarded firm that specializes in RV deliveries nationwide. I used them when I needed to have my Lazy Daze brought from California to Albuquerque, and my schedule just didn't allow doing it myself.

But I was an experienced RVer, and it was a (gently) used RV, so I didn't miss out on a factory orientation. In your case I think it would be a real loss if you just sat at home and waited for some professional driver to show up with your new Lazy Daze. You'd miss the personal introduction to all its bits and pieces that the factory will give you. (And of course you'd be paying several thousand dollars to the transport company.)

So I encourage you to make the trip yourself. Prepare as best you can, take your time, and call on us for advice if you need it. You'll have a great time!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #15
May I suggest one idea?  Can your husband take a personal day on a Friday thus giving him 3 days off and join you say in Kansas City or somewhere along the way to finish the trip with you and giving you a boost for the rest of the way home.  Then you both get to enjoy your New Lazy Daze!

Karen~Liam
                             98 ~ MB
                                NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #16
"Just found out that our new 31' IB won't be ready for pickup until around September.  When we placed our order last year in April we were hoping for a June delivery so my husband and I could drive it back to Pennsylvania over the summer. We are both teachers - one more year til retirement. He is working full time - I am currently working as a substitute - so I can take time off as needed. So it loos like I will be flying out to California solo and driving it back by myself. I have never owned an RV before so it will be a steep learning curve. A part of me is up for the challenge - but another part of me is feeling apprehensive.  Any advice for how to steady my nerves - and plan this adventure to maximize success?  All suggestions welcome!"

I see that most of the replies about how to accomplish the actual driving have come from the masculine gender.  Like you, my experience with driving an oversized vehicle is minimal.  Over approximately 30 years, I have driven our 22' Lazy Daze and our 26.5' Lazy Daze each exactly once.  I did not enjoy it.  I have had no problem driving our 18-foot camper van, and other various more normally-sized vehicles in the past.  I'm probably a bigger wuss than most, so take that into consideration while reading this!  ;->

Were I in your shoes, I would rent a large vehicle in my hometown and find a driving school instructor to help me become accustomed to it.  I would do this sooner, rather than later, and then, closer to the time, do it again as a refresher.  Unless there are extenuating circumstances to preclude hiring this done, a qualified stranger may be less intimidating to your mind than a relative.  And, yes, this worked splendidly for me back a zillion years ago when I was trying to learn to drive a stick shift!  Just having an instructor, rather than my husband, in the seat next to me removed the entire panoply of terrorizing facets that I was facing, and I learned in about twelve seconds.

By using a rental unit, you take the terror of ruining a prized possession with a mistake out of the equation.  With this confidence, it may be possible for you to more efficiently absorb the information needed to safely navigate the roads between The Mother Ship and your home in the new Lazy Daze.

As with everyone here, I applaud your choice and wish you the very best of times upcoming to your lives!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  What'll They Think of Next?

Reply #17
I am a new inexperienced Lazy Daze owner (though I have driven a u-haul box truck before). After having a mishap and damaging my new to me baby, I have taken the advice of others on this forum to take an RV driving course.

Once my LD is back from repairs and other maintenance/upgrades at the Mothership I'll be taking my driving course from RV Basic Training.

I chose them because they will come to me wherever I am. I'll be towing a Jeep and since I've never towed before, I did not want to hook it up and drive to them (kind of defeats the purpose).

I'll be able to report my experience before you get here in September (I live less than an hour from the Mothership) if you think you might want to try this particular driving school. :-)

Congratulations!
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #18
Deb, as long as it’s not military basic training, I’m in!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #19
Thanks to everyone for the great advice and all the "you can do this" support. I think the biggest message for me was to practice driving a large rig by finding a driving school or renting a uhaul. After that I would map my route home to have the easiest and most direct highway travel. I would identify every possible rest stop, truckstop, campground, hotel, Harvest Host, KOA, park area, etc. along the way so I have as many options as possible for where and when to stop for the night. I really think that driving the large rig is my biggest worry - and once I get a degree of confidence with that I will be OK. I will post an update when we have a delivery date. Thanks again to all for taking the time to share your expertise - much appreciated!
2019  31 IB

Reply #20
I am seconding Larry - the rig is much easier to drive outside of cites than inside citis, especially L.A. which has lots of lane changes but should not have as many heading west.

I should mention speed also.
In this forum I learned 55mph is the max for CA (I didn't learn that before my last trip to CA so we were likely going to fast as we normally sit around 60).

But your LD is a huge flat surface and gets shoved around more by semis going by and gusts of wind.  Driving slower helps keep you safer (e.g. don't go the speed limit - e.g 75 mph in many areas, most people drive around 60 mph give or take some). 

I don't know if anyone mentioned having the LD delivered to you outside of the state (e.g. on the AZ/CA border).  Check the taxes you would pay at your home vs what you would pay in CA and see if that saves you money.  For many people it is worth it to pay someone to deliver the rig outside the state and pay their lower local sales tax rates vs CA higher sales tax rates.
I know people on the forum have done that and can give you more information.

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #21
In this forum I learned 55mph is the max for CA (I didn't learn that before my last trip to CA so we were likely going to fast as we normally sit around 60).

Jane

Jane, the maximum speed limit on most California highways is 65 mph. You may drive 70 mph where posted. Unless otherwise posted, the maximum speed limit is 55 mph on two-lane undivided highways, for vehicles towing trailers or vehicles, and in posted construction zones. I am a native Californian and drive the highways and freeways every day and have been doing so for a very long time.

Charles

Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #22
A little about “speed”. California has several areas that limit speed to 55 but most are 65 mph limits.

That being said, I believe Ford has a “break in” period that recommends a varying speed between 50 & 55. It is not recommended, I believe, to go steady at say 50 mph during the break in period. This can cause damage to the engine. Others can speak more on this.

Ours is a 27’ RB and I’ve found that Big Rigs effect its handling very little. I actually notice more turbulence from smaller vans and U-Hauls.

Driving a LD is not rocket science. With some solid advice and preparation on  your part, you will soon get the hang of it. It is important to remember that it is a large machine and behaves differently than a sedan in parking lots, gas stations and corners.

YouTube has plenty of advice and tutorials on driving Class C RVs. Good advice and very easy to follow.

Take your time and enjoy your new LD.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #23

You can do it.  Give Monica B. from the North East group a shout.  Monica drove hers back in the middle of winter by herself.  She was a teacher also.

If you are now paying the ridiculous CA sales tax and an ICC driver is taking you to Vegas for the turn over, you can get a good driving lesson from them on the way.
2003 MB

Reply #24
If you are now paying the ridiculous CA sales tax and an ICC driver is taking you to Vegas for the turn over, you can get a good driving lesson from them on the way.

One of the reasons to take delivery in Las Vegas is to avoid CA tax.   The selling company is responsible for collecting the tax.   They are libel for it.   CA really doesn't care if the company gets the tax from the buyer or not.  The company must pay it no matter.    All the paperwork you sign on the out of state delivery is to cover LD's back sides.    The paperwork says you the owner are not a CA citizen AND you will not return to CA for one (1) year. 

I believe AZ is closer in miles then Las Vegas.   But AZ is on I-10 and Las Vegas is on I-15.  

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King