Skip to main content
Topic: New batteries (Read 226 times) previous topic - next topic
New batteries
Haven't seen any recent messages on this topic, so...

Need to replace the coach batteries on my 99 MB. I'm leaning toward the original Trojan T-105's. I was quoted $160 each after core charge by a golf cart company. No solar on our rig.

I see also that there is now a T-105 Plus which looks the same as the original 105, as well as a T-125 (and 125 Plus) which are the same size. Lastly, I see that Trojan now has it's own "hydrolink" watering system which looks a lot like Flow-Rite system that I've had for many years and may need to be replaced.

Thoughts on cost and which batteries to buy would be appreciated.
George & Jo Ann
2017 MB

Re: New batteries
Reply #1
I recently found a golf cart place here in south Orange County (Laguna Niguel area) who will sell new 105s for $125.  I don’t know anything about the 105+ but would like to hear about it.  When my batteries go bad I may go to Lithium Ion if I can afford it.  Then again, I am so cheap I will probably stay with the original 105s.
2006 MB

Reply #3
"When my batteries go bad I may go to Lithium Ion if I can afford it.  Then again, I am so cheap I will probably stay with the original 105s."

Why not go with AGMs? You can forget about that constant watering PINTA and they are not as expensive as Lithium!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
"When my batteries go bad I may go to Lithium Ion if I can afford it.  Then again, I am so cheap I will probably stay with the original 105s."

Why not go with AGMs? You can forget about that constant watering PINTA and they are not as expensive as Lithium!   ::)

I haven’t completely ruled out the AGMs.  Just worried about the weight when I’m trying to install.  Sounds silly I know.
2006 MB

Reply #5
" Just worried about the weight..."

I doubt if there's much difference in the weight, although I admit I've never checked. I always let the other guy, such as AM Solar, do the heavy lifting.   ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
I switched to Lifeline AGMs several yars ago and will never go back.  They fit right into the same tray as my previous Trojan batteries and require no maintenance.  The GPL-4CT is 4 lbs. heavier than the Trojan batteries. Easy install. At about $300/battery, they are significantly more expensive however.

Mike S.
'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition

Reply #7
I switched to Lifeline AGMs several yars ago and will never go back.  They fit right into the same tray as my previous Trojan batteries and require no maintenance.  The GPL-4CT is 4 lbs. heavier than the Trojan batteries. Easy install. At about $300/battery, they are significantly more expensive however.

Mike S.

Did you keep the same converter/charger?  Just drop in replacements using 2 6v AGM batteries?
2006 MB

Reply #8
----Did you keep the same converter/charger?  Just drop in replacements using 2 6v AGM batteries?----

Yes, I use the same converter/charger that came with my RV.  I can't remember all the details at the moment but I had to change a setting in the solar charger as well as in my battery monitor.  Other experts on the forum can chime in on that.
'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition

Reply #9
I switched to Lifeline AGMs several yars ago and will never go back.   At about $300/battery, they are significantly more expensive however..

AGMs are about twice as expensive as T-105s and the only major advantage, for our purposes, is not having to add water a few times a year.
WIth a remote watering system, adding water is 5 minute job.
It probably works out to getting paid a hundred dollar an hour to water the batteries. It's only money.
Pro-Fill - Flow-Rite Controls
Amazon.com: Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill RV Edition 2 Battery Kit: Gateway

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze