Skip to main content
Topic: running snap on scanner on ford v10 (Read 289 times) previous topic - next topic
running snap on scanner on ford v10
I am hoping to find someone else besides myself that uses a snap on MT2500 scanner on there ford v10, specifically around 2004 or 5 year.  We use a mt2500 on several jeep issues and so I found and got software to do up to 2006 on the scanner.
I have had problems with the v10 an the exhaust sys so I wanted to scan to see what is the root of the evil or at least if an evil still is there..  I found one issue was the k and n air cleaner which I found is against ford rules so to speak. 
My question on the scanner if anyone uses one is the ford takes a can 1-b adapter.  anyone familiar with this part? why its needed? 
Sorry for off wall stuff but I figure im not  the only guy that does all his own repairs. 
Any info appreciated. 
Grumpy
2005 Front Lounge

Re: running snap on scanner on ford v10
Reply #1
Well, I have to admit that I'm not the sharpest tack in the box but it took me a few seconds to comprehend that 'snap on' was a brand name and not a method of attachment. From there everything else went down hill!

Instead of a discreet "Scanner" why not use something like the Ultra-Gauge? It will provide you much more real time information than what you'd get from the 2500 and, if you need to see the code drop it will also provide that as well.   8)

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
If you do use an OBDII tool, consider getting the Forscan software as well - gives you a lot more info into the Ford-specific parameters, according to the crew over on LVX (lincolnvscadillac.com forum).  Discussion indicates the computer version of the "app" is more complete than the smartphone version.

Reply #3

FORScan is very useful, if not especially user-friendly. I used it to disable some of the multitudinous beeps and chimes on my Ford pickups, and to enable things like a digital display of coolant temperature in addition to the default analog gauge.

The FORScan Lite app for phones and tablets is primarily for diagnostic use--it lets you read values, but not set them. The FORScan For Windows app, on the other hand, lets you change all kinds of settings and options (including some that can get you into trouble if you don't know what you're doing). Here's a comparison of the various FORSCAN versions.

Unfortunately for those of us using Macs, the full-fledged FORScan version requires Windows. I got around this by buying a cheap Windows tablet. (I actually paid well under a hundred bucks for mine, but tariffs have apparently driven up the price to $125.) I was able to download the FORScan software to my Mac, then move it over to the tablet using an SD card--I never connected the tablet to the internet, thus avoiding any exposure to malware. Yes, it's not running the latest version of Windows, but I don't care. I'm using it as a single-purpose Ford-programming tool, rather than as a general-purpose tablet.

The tablet connects via Bluetooth to an ODBII dongle, and thus to the Ford's computer. For a hundred bucks and change, it's a good way to tweak a Ford truck's settings. Which settings you can tweak vary with the model and vintage. On a modern Ford pickup, there are dozens. I haven't trie it on an older Lazy Daze, but I'm guessing there aren't as many options.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4

A Snap On MT2500 scanner is an obsolete, dealer grade diagnostic tool tool used to trouble shoot engine problems and for some tuning issues. It accesses the computer (ECM) by plugging into the OBDII port, under the dash.
Every auto manufacturer uses a combination of generic OBDII codes plus unique codes to each manufacturer, this is why the MT2500 has an adaptor for Fords and every other major auto brand.
https://store.snapon.com/SearchResults.aspx?q=mt2500&IsPartsSearch=0&departmentName=Tool%20Catalog

As much as I would like own one, used MT2500S are too expensive for my needs and I have used a decent logging OBDII scanner that accomplishes most of what it does.
Amazon.com: Launch Creader VII+ OBD2 Scanner ABS SRS Transmission and Engine...

FORScan is one of many apps that access the OBDII port using a plug-in Bluetooth. It's a scanner that uses a tablet or cell phone instead a dedicated device . Newer vehicles can have dozens of programable features ranging from interior lights to how the alarm system works, FORScan, and similar programs, can program many or all of these features.
It does not adjust or modify the engine in any way, it reads engine codes and is able to watch certain sensors in real time.

There is misunderstanding of what scanners do, they read trouble codes but do not necessarily show the exact problem.
For example, a code for an O2 sensor doesn't necessary mean the sensor is bad, the cause needs to be determined by testing various potential causes, ranging from a bad ground to missing power for the O2 sensor's heater. Interpreting a code still requires a knowledgable mechanic, the right tools and, many times, a Factory Service Manual and schematic.

Esther, I suggest dumping the K&N and using a stock air filter. The power gain is slight, provided by the lower restriction of a filter that doesn't work as well as paper. I have seen too many filthy intake manifolds, the result of a K&N fiber letting dirt pass though.

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Thanks for all the other imput on readers,   I have other readers and Larry I understand the mt2500s are expensive but back to the thing or maybe clearing up my question.  I have a mt2500 and use it on my xj so I bought the software that covers up thru our 2005 fl lazy daze so I could use it there also.  It is both fun and interesting to learn from the little gadget the inside of the vehicle. 
What my problem was and is is the adapter situation the v10 calls for into the obii port.  I want to find someone who can explain the use of two adapters in line to link up .   I do not have the second adapter and at a hundred bucks or more used I want to understand before  I buy one. 
An I understand and appreciate the input that the other scanners will tell me lots of stuff but like on my xj , where my reader will tell  me the area of the problem the little mt2500 pinpoints for me much better. 
anyway I appreciate all I guess its just I enjoy making things crazy in my life like that. 
Also if you don't own a mt2500 unless you get a real deal on one with all the acc. I would not invest in one they offer no factory support any more. 
Thanks
Grumpy
2005 Front Lounge

Reply #6

An I understand and appreciate the input that the other scanners will tell me lots of stuff but like on my xj , where my reader will tell  me the area of the problem the little mt2500 pinpoints for me much better. 
anyway I appreciate all I guess its just I enjoy making things crazy in my life like that. 
Also if you don't own a mt2500 unless you get a real deal on one with all the acc. I would not invest in one they offer no factory support any more. 

Grumpy

As you know, I also own two Jeep Cherokees, a 1997 and a 2001. The only thing i cannot do with my scanner is to adjust the engine's cam synchronizer but there is another way to do this. Beyond that, it does everything I need for diagnosing the  Jeeps.
The older Jeeps have a very simple OBDII system, without a lot of extras and their computers do not support many diagnostic features found in newer vehicles, such as cutting out individual injectors to check for RPM drop.

Vehicles with a GVW over 14,000-lbs have OBDI systems, at least up until 2008 .
There is a specification plate under the hood that indicates what OBD system it uses. Below is from our 2003, showing it to be OBDI.

For more information, see message #18 in this thread.
2000 MidBath -- engine *sometimes* takes 2-3 attempts to start -- advice?

Your 2005 Front lounge is a OBDI vehicle, it is an even simpler system and has even fewer features and minimal emission equipment. OBDI does not have an O2 sensor to monitor the catalytic converter's downstream flow with an O2 sensor as all OBDII systems do.
With a MT2500, there isn't much to see other than monitoring the various sensors. The amount of available OBDI tests and information is very limited and i'm not sure if buying the expensive adaptors will pay off.

Our LD has never thrown a code or had any reason to scan it, beyond pure curiosity . I do wish the scanner could activate the anti-lock brake unit, to flush the old brake fluid out.  Not sure if the MT2500 has the ability to do that, many times it requires a specialized Factory tool to do .

As to your MT2500 and the needed adaptors, a Google search may provide better information. AFAIK, there are few experienced mechanics on this forum, much less any with experience with a Snap On scanner.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
thanks Larry for all the valuable info.   I do like the old thing and what it can do.
grumpy
2005 Front Lounge