Skip to main content
Topic: DirecTV and KVH R1dx (Read 245 times) previous topic - next topic
DirecTV and KVH R1dx
I have a 2014 which uses the KVH TracVision R1DX.  I have DirecTV at home and want to add it to my LD.  There's nothing on the KVH site which confirms this system is still compatible with DirecTV (I tried to install Dish Wally last Summer and found out Dish had changed technology and was no longer compatible with the R1DX). 

I have the DirecTV HR44 receiver at home with C51-100 clients.  ATT/DirecTV added an extra client to my account, told me I simply need to buy a receiver for my RV and I'm good to go.

So I guess I'm asking--any current DirecTV HR44 users out there with the (discontinued) TracVision R1DX?
Still pretty new to RV lifestyle & Lazy Daze
2014 27’ MB
Two beautiful Weimaraners, Junie & Pearl (now our angel dogs)

Re: DirecTV and KVH R1dx
Reply #1
Dear "no posted name",

The short answer is "Yes" to your question.  I have a KVH satelite receiver dome (not sure which specific model) with a Direct TV receiver box that is working just fine in my 2007.  I had the original factory installed receiver replaced after a windstorm and a flying tree branch took it out of commission several years ago.  I know that it has a standard single LNB and not a high definition tri-LNB.   The KVH is auto tracking even as you drive down the road.

The business who installed my KVH is Mark's Audio and Video, located in Irwindale, CA.  The owner's name is Mark and he can be reached at 626-338-0400.  Their address is:  5313 2nd Street, Irwindale, CA 91706. 

At the time of my install, Mark was very high on the KVH brand.  I suggest you give them a call tomorrow and ask your specific question, complete with model numbers, and he should be able to answer. 

Good luck,

Gary

PS  At least on my last trip to Morro Bay, it worked!  I will check that it still works later on tonight!

2007 30' TB

Reply #2
Thanks Gary...sorry about the "no posted name".  It's Jay.

I know the "old" KVH model (R1DX) worked with the "old" DirecTV receivers, but I can't find anything confirming it will work with the new DirecTV receivers (HR44).  I'm encouraged by your experience, and I appreciate the contact info you sent.

Jay
2014 27’ MB

Reply #3
I spoke to KVH technical support and was given good information on DirecTV compatibility with the R1DX in-motion system.  Bottom line is this: that system is still compatible with DirecTV.  If you are using an older standard definition DirecTV receiver, and have not deactivated that receiver recently, you should be good to go.  However, DirecTV will no longer activate/re-activate the older SD receivers.  To receive DirecTV on the R1DX in-motion system, you need to buy an HD receiver, H24 or HR24. 

Here's a little more information directly from KVH: DirecTV will not upgrade the 101W satellite to MPEG4 format for at least another year.  At that time, you may need to connect a PC to apply a frequency patch.  If DirecTV does not alter their plans, as shared with KVH, they will leave a couple of legacy transponders that will allow your system to continue operating.  At some point in the future, maybe 2-5 years, they may decide to upgrade the entire satellite.  If and when a full satellite upgrade occurs, at that time you'll need to upgrade to a RV1 system.

Finally,  I'll attach a DirecTV/DVH bulletin with added information, some compatibility tables for other KVH systems, and information on rebates for those who want to upgrade to the RV1 system.

Hope you find this helpful.

Jay
2014 27’ MB