Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel Cap (Read 325 times) previous topic - next topic
Fuel Cap

It seems my fuel cap is not locking reliably anymore. It looks similar to the Stant 10502 Locking Fuel Cap (Amazon.com: Stant 10502 Locking Fuel Cap: Automotive). Does someone know whether this should fit, or what else I should buy?

Klaus

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Re: Fuel Cap
Reply #1
Hi, Klaus--

I just got a replacement from a Ford dealer when the dangling attachment broke & I lost the whole thing "somewhere"--don't remember the cost...probably unreasonably higher since it was a dealer.   ::)   Good luck & please share what you learn.

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #2
We put a locking one with a key recently.  DH went to the local auto store - he didn't take the cap with him (planned but didn't happen) so he had to make 2 trips (first one didn't fit) but it was no big deal and not pricy.

Jane

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #3
"Does someone know whether this should fit..."

That looks exactly like the one I use on my '04. I just went out to look and although it was impossible to read the original writing on the cap there was a number stamped into the metal ring surrounding the key slot. That number is JT 080. Perhaps a part or code # used by Stant??   ::)

If you find it fits, let us know. Mine is quite old and needs replacement.

***ALERT - ALERT***

On the Amazon page did you check to see if this part # will fit your vehicle?
When I checked it said "Will NOT Fit".

Try Stant 10510 instead!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4

When you open a product page on Amazon (in this case locking gas caps) there is an area at the top of the page where you can enter the specs for your vehicle to see if the product will fit that vehicle. I've found this to be a valuable feature.

In the case here the OP asked if a certain cap would fit... had he queried Amazon he might have found that, NO, that item will not fit an E350/450.

When I checked the item in the following link I found that 'this' is the correct locking gas cap for our Ford Cut-away chassis.  ;D  At least for my 2004!

Amazon.com: Stant 10510 Locking Fuel Cap: Automotive

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #5
I checked several vendors of Stant fuel caps; all said that the #10502 Locking Fuel Cap fits the OP's 2001 E450 (E350 is the same). Amazon's application chart did not list the #10501 as a fit for the 2001 when I plugged in that model year. Just going by the application charts; can't say for sure.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
"...that the #10502 Locking Fuel Cap fits the OP's 2001..."

Joan

I'll have to agree as regards the 2001 model year. That highlights how valuable Amazons size feature can be.  ::)

#10502 to #10510 makes a big difference!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #7
The Stant 10502 fits my 2001 E-450 Lazy Daze, and when I ordered it the price was just $7.09 (plus tax) - not a bad deal.
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #8
Not sure how necessarily or useful a locking gas cap is.
Having tried to syphon fuel out of our 2003, when preparing to change the fuel pump proved to be very frustrating.  Only the smallest of tubes could find their way into the tank, it took hours to removed any significant amounts of gas.
Most thieves do not want to take a long time to steal something, preferring to grab and go .

Even with a locking cap, it's not hard to quickly break the lock with just a small screwdriver or ice pick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO3DHM3lGBQ

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
A big danger of a locked gas cap and some miscreant stealing gas from your rig is that they could easily damage the plastic filler neck of the gas tank if they try to pry off the cap. Maybe later model Fords have metal filler necks, but on my 2003, it's plastic, and a cracked or chipped neck, preventing a seal, is a very expensive repair. (And, the truck won't start to get to the shop!)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
I have read that if the thieves want to steal your gas and you have a locking gas cap they puncture your gas tank and steal the gas that way.

I have no idea if this is an urban myth.

Sad it's come to this.

Jim & Deb
Santa Cruz, CA

Reply #11
Maybe later model Fords have metal filler necks, but on my 2003, it's plastic, and a cracked or chipped neck, preventing a seal, is a very expensive repair.

Our LD too has a plastic filler. The filler has had the cap's sealing surface lip, where a gas nozzle goes in, chipped, allowing a noticeable leak of gas fumes.
I have found similar damage on other LDs. A new filler could be installed but would damage the exterior paint.
To fix this type of damage, I use JB Weld, dabbed on in tiny amounts and allowed to cure, until the chip is slightly overfilled. Sanding with 220 grit sandpaper lip smooths the lip, eliminating the escape of fumes. It takes a bit of time but is still easier than replacing and repainting the OE gas filler.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
Stopped off at Costco Gas in Victorville CA on our way to Zion. As I prepared to insert the nozzle into the filler tube I noticed something odd.

I called the attendant over and asked, “ What’s this all about?” Apparently, it is not uncommon for inattentive drivers to depart the pump without disconnecting. The end result in this case was that their plastic filler tube stayed at the pump while they drove away blissfully unaware. 🤯

Hey, it happens to the best of us. https://youtu.be/wSGTlAuf9qg 

At least with a locking gas cap you’d probably remember to remove the pump handle before driving off.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #13
Some damage to plastic filler necks may be due to “tapping” the metal gas nozzle against the neck after filling to get the last drops. 
2003 TK has a new home