Skip to main content
Topic: Upgrade the center drink consol (Read 370 times) previous topic - next topic
Upgrade the center drink consol
Is it possible to upgrade the center drink consol in a 2003 LD E450?  Since there is not glove compartment, I would like some additional storage up front. The door storage requires me to reach way down and maybe even open the door to use.

Below are links to images of what I have and what I would like (or something similar). Has anyone made the change? Was is difficult.

My Current Drink Holder

The color is wrong but that can be dealt with.

Ebay Drink Consol

Thanks!
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Re: Upgrade the center drink consol
Reply #1
With ours being a 2013, we have much more storage but we also purchased a decorative leather magazine container from Pottery Barn (pretty sure it was from there) that we keep between the two seats....easily moved aside when need be...

Bill
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #2
Yeah, I've considered that.

Right now, I keep my backpack between the seats with most of the stuff I think I might need but I would like a more elegant solution. :-)
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #3
yah, that's where my backpack was too until my wife tripped over it and decided we needed to have something more respectable!!  haha
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #4
It’s a bad day when our better half’s get a knock or thump on our account.

While heading back from Yellowstone in ‘17 my wife slammed her head on the back up camera monitor that’s mounted between the window visors. I felt horrible and responsible for her injury. The pain she suffered was pretty severe.

Shortly after the incident I made a cover for the monitor that pads the frame. Works great and a cheap fix. Now if I could only keep from banging my head on the overhanging cabinets in our RB. I’m usually good for a couple of good wacks on every trip. 🤪

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #5
Our 2002 MB came with one of those tiny LD cupholder shelfs.  We quickly decided that we wanted/needed more storage up front.  I found a lower profile console than the one you are considering (space between the front seats was very limited).  On our LD, the mounting posts were still on the doghouse cover under the carpeting.  I was able to order the part from Ford back then and picked it up at my local dealer.  Today you would likely have to buy a used one these days.  Below is a link to the same part on Ebay (I believe).

Ebay Ford Console

UPDATE:  I'm pretty sure I used Ford part #6C24-15115A00-ACW.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #6
Thanks, Art,

That is a much better option than what I have now. Thanks for the link!
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #7
Yeah, I've considered that.

Right now, I keep my backpack between the seats with most of the stuff I think I might need but I would like a more elegant solution. :-)
That space in my 2013 31 IB is reserved for the dog bed.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #8
Our 2002 MB came with one of those tiny LD cupholder shelfs.  We quickly decided that we wanted/needed more storage up front.  I found a lower profile console than the one you are considering (space between the front seats was very limited).  On our LD, the mounting posts were still on the doghouse cover under the carpeting.  I was able to order the part from Ford back then and picked it up at my local dealer.  Today you would likely have to buy a used one these days.  Below is a link to the same part on Ebay (I believe).

Ebay Ford Console

UPDATE:  I'm pretty sure I used Ford part #6C24-15115A00-ACW.

Art
One would think when asking $150, the seller would have cleaned the grody console before posting a photo.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
I went the cheap easy route on my 2002. And didn’t really lose any space where the dog likes to ride.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #10
A friend of mine owns a Winnebago View, which is built on the Mercedes chassis.  Not only is the cabin quite a bit wider than the Ford, but it is higher as well, which gives you a spacious feeling.  However,  there are no cupholders at all, not even the chintzy two cupholders that my 2003 LD has.  So he put in two bars connecting the seat bases and mounted a table, storage unit that slides from one side to the other.  I am considering doing something like that with my LD, but console would have to be very narrow as there isnt much space there.    I am thinking about mounting something to each seat base that would then slide to the back.  Would be more difficult to get in and out of the seat, but the lack of storage is a real problem.

Reply #11
Lynn, is that a CB hanging there, good buddy?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12
Greg yes it is and was there when we bought it. I think it’s original option.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #13
Lynn, is that a CB hanging there, good buddy?

The only time we use the CB is when camping with a group that uses the radio for morning announcement, as done by the LD Caravan Club.
The rest of the time FRS radios work fine unless others have 2-meter amateur radios (ham license required) which provides superior range. Cell phones only work in areas with good reception.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #14
A note that many truckers do still use CB radios, and can provide often X-rated 'entertainment' along with useful road information of a very local type along the way.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #15
Ron, I first experienced the trucker entertainment back in 2000 when stuck in bad traffic on I-15, headed towards Las Vegas and points beyond, during a fatal accident. My teenage son was with me so the CB was promptly turned off.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #16
"I think it's original option."

I cannot speak to the 2002 LDs and what CB Radio they may have offered that year, but when I ordered my 2004 the optional CB was the Cobra 75WXST. I bought the bait but rarely use the thing for it's intended purpose... I do like the Wx feature though.  ;)

Cobra C 75 WX ST Recreational CB Radio - Cobra.com
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!