Skip to main content
Topic: New water pump, inlet now higher, any worries? (Read 110 times) previous topic - next topic
New water pump, inlet now higher, any worries?
So I replaced my original pump with a new Shurflo. On the new unit, the inlet is higher than the old one. I didn't notice it until I had it installed. I filled the water tank with a bit of water, below where the inlet pipe is, and it was able to pump water just fine. I figure it's best to ask the experts though. Does anyone see any issues with the extra height on the inlet side?

Pictures attached.
2001 MB

Re: New water pump, inlet now higher, any worries?
Reply #1
The only thing that comes to mind, is that if you run your fresh water tank dry and get air into your pump, you likely will need to refill to a little higher level to get the pump to re-prime.  But most people will usually add plenty of water in that situation.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Re: New water pump, inlet now higher, any worries?
Reply #2
The only thing that comes to mind, is that if you run your fresh water tank dry and get air into your pump, you likely will need to refill to a little higher level to get the pump to re-prime.  But most people will usually add plenty of water in that situation.

Art

Agreed. 

As long and the tank water level is higher than the pump inlet level - no problem.

As long as there is no air in the line between the tank and the pump (the usual condition) - no problem.

If you have an empty tank and just barely fill it, it might churn for a while but my guess is that it would still prime itself eventually.  This would be a rare situation. 

You should be fine. 

Rich
'03 MB in NC

2003 MB