Skip to main content
Topic: Bigfoot (Read 334 times) previous topic - next topic
Bigfoot
Hi All,

I’m getting very close to looking seriously for a Class C. I have been researching LD for some time and am nearly convinced. However, I keep reading about Bigfoot. Any thoughts concerning the comparison with LD would be highly appreciated.

Further, my wife and I are planning a lengthy trip of over a year around N America. We are looking at 26.5 mid bat or 24 twin. Any thoughts Pro and con?

Thanks,
Hi, my Thai wife and will return to the USA and purchase a MB and travel for a year or so. I full timed for 3 years about 20 years ago.  We are looking forward to this upcoming adventure.

Re: Bigfoot
Reply #1
Bigfoot used to build a well insulated MH and were known for being heavy for their length.
They stopped building motorhomes a long time ago, now building only campers and trailers.
They are rare motorhomes, not often seen.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Hi,

I am brand new to this forum, but as I own a Bigfoot trailer I think I can add my two cents. Also I just looked at a 29' Bigfoot Motor Home with very low miles for sale in Portland, OR. The interior matched the quality and design of the trailer I have of similar vintage.

I have a 2007 21' tow behind trailer. It is sturdy. Very well made two piece (top and bottom) fiberglass clam shell with 1.5" of Styrofoam insulation. Bigfoot Motor Homes are not made with the same fiberglass clam shell design, but the interior quality appeared consistent with my trailer.

However, the reason I'm on this forum is that I'm very attracted to the big windows and more open interior design of the Lazy Daze class C Motor Homes. Bigfoot is well made overall, but the cabinetry and layout is rather crowded and tight. In a word, heavy. It's very live-able, but not very "inspired". It feels closed in, both in my trailer and the Motor Home I visited.

So is Bigfoot good? The fiberglass design is kind of bullet proof; there's just no such thing as a leak (but again, the Motor Homes are built by more conventional methods - as far I my research has shown).

The open feeling of the big windows on all the Lazy Daze models have caught my attention. My switch from trailer to motor home will involve a search for a Lazy Daze for sure.

I would suggest walking through both companies products. I get the feeling they are of similar quality. It's really just a matter of which designer's ideas you like to live with.

Reply #3
One of my neighbors has an older Bigfoot motorhome.  I like it. When they were being made, they were well built and especially well insulated, much more so than the Lazy Daze. The cab and Chassis was the same as all of the other class C motorhomes, so the differences that matter were all in the coach.
We seriously considered  several Bigfoot motorhomes, prior to buying our Lazy Daze.  If I regularly spent time in cold weather, the superior insulation would have been a big benefit.
However, they are now all orphans.  (The same for the well built Born Free)  Lazy Daze are still being produced. That is important to me, especially when factory support is needed.
Another consideration is the painted, aluminum exterior on the Lazy Daze  compared to the gel coat on the Bigfoot.  Older Lazy Daze models have a much nicer appearance than older Bigfoots.
We decided to buy a Lazy Daze and have been very happy with our decision.
Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #4
As I recall, I toyed with the idea of a Bigfoot when making my purchasing decisions.  When I saw one, the first thing I noticed was that the roof was not flat.  Rather, it had a number of grade changes.  I wanted to have 4 to 6 solar panels, and I was concerned that the irregularity of the roof might limit my solar options.  I bought a MB, and have been delighted with my decision for 10 1/2 years now.

Ken F in OR
'08 MB

Reply #5
Nikmills, welcome to the forum!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Thanks. I'm glad this forum is here. Looking forward to finding my LD.